Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
Taking a look at a 2007 Tundra tomorrow, would REALLY appreciate any feedback on what you all think ...

https://albany.craigslist.org/cto/d/...264235159.html

SPP
I've been reading a little--and I think the 5.7l that is in this one is generally considered a better motor than the smaller V8 offered in the Tundra.

Angry is right--make sure you check for rust issues. And I know with my first Gen, around 100k was O2 sensor time (on the V6 though). Check things like the tie-rod ends and make sure the brakes have been done/are stopping correctly.

It's probably worth it to check the Toyota recommended maintenance schedule--the 90k is a big one...
Old 01-19-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
price looks good there Pete,.

Note that the muffler and tailpipe were replaced, better get under that truck and check well, generally plow trucks ridden in the northeast have rust issues. this is a 14 year old truck with 111k miles on the clock, so this ran just under 8k miles a year, so you can probably figure it spent a lot of time parked and rusting. bring a flashlight and wear work clothes.
and if you get under there and see everything is nice, clean, and black, dont walk, run!
Old 01-19-2021, 04:03 PM

Having owned one of the same vintage, look under the bed liner for rust. Ask about the recall status of this particular truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzuk View Post
Proceed with caution. Plow trucks take a beating. Cracked and rusted frames are common especially in salted areas. The pics look good
Old 01-19-2021, 04:49 PM

Appreciate all the advice keep it coming if you've got anything else...

SPP
Old 01-19-2021, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzuk View Post
Proceed with caution. Plow trucks take a beating. Cracked and rusted frames are common especially in salted areas. The pics look good
This. I was going to say this earlier but had to go. Looks nice but for me personally...I would never buy a truck that had been used for plowing, they get the snot beat out of them. That and many people who put a plow on their trucks don't always beef the suspension up to be able to really handle all the extra weight and the inevitable concussive forces. Unless it was super cheap, and I was only going to use it to plow my own property, maybe.

W.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:57 AM

Just going to add that I wouldn't buy a Tundra (or any half ton) that has been used for plowing regardless of the circumstances. Toyota has had enough rust and frame issues, adding a plow is just not worth the potential risk. Especially not for nearly $20,000.

You can buy a newer Chevy for that much money. The Tundra has some Toyota inflation but in reality is no more reliable than a comparable Chevy and generally gets much worse mileage.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:09 PM
Robin (she/her)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
Just going to add that I wouldn't buy a Tundra (or any half ton) that has been used for plowing regardless of the circumstances. Toyota has had enough rust and frame issues, adding a plow is just not worth the potential risk. Especially not for nearly $20,000.

You can buy a newer Chevy for that much money. The Tundra has some Toyota inflation but in reality is no more reliable than a comparable Chevy and generally gets much worse mileage.
agree. i clicked on the link and saw the plow, and said to myself, “oh s##t a plow!”

The thing that made me buy a new pickup was seeing so many ppl driving them like they were race cars. Laying rubber, or trying, at stop lights. Big tires, lights, etc. Beating the hell out of them. Then they get repo’ed!
Old 01-20-2021, 04:48 PM

So...

Truck was in great shape, guy used it to plow his own driveway only, stored the plow in his garage when not in use, clean car fax, no rust to speak of underneath, etc.

I get it about the plow, but I have a 400' driveway myself so not too unhappy to have one.

Quite sure I wouldn't have wanted to invest $5k if I bought a truck without one, so in the end I think it's a win.

Further, now that we are retired it's surely not going to be racking up many miles...I think we put less than a hundred miles a week on our other car.

Appreciate all the advice and opinions both ways, but now it's mine.

SPP

Last edited by SlowPokePete; 01-20-2021 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:54 PM
Administrator

good job pete, looks like you found a gem.

enjoy!
Old 01-20-2021, 08:49 PM

I love my RAM.

Looks great, comfortable, and room for whatever my wife or I can throw at it. 2017 1500 4x4 with the 5.7 Hemi and 8spd. Not the most inspiring daily, but I purchased the truck to pull the toys, carry car parts, bikes, etc....so it works out! Likely the only new vehicle purchase I will ever make. It will be with me forever.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:29 PM

All registered in a quick 30 minutes on a Friday afternoon at the Columbia County DMV...

Tundra2 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

SPP
Old 01-23-2021, 12:35 PM

Well done! Thats a solid rig there.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:57 PM

Nice rig.........that'll easily last ya another 15 years !
Old 01-24-2021, 06:14 AM

I drive a Tundra and so does my Father in-law. They are great trucks. Congrats Pete! Looks nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2021, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
All registered in a quick 30 minutes on a Friday afternoon at the Columbia County DMV...

Tundra2 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

SPP
Nice looking truck!

Tacoma (2008) owner here and agree w/ the original post. I considered trading up for a 2020/2021 but I had sticker shock when I was shopping around. Aside from not wanting payments again, I couldn't pull the trigger on a 50k+ truck when there was nothing wrong w/ mine. I do all maintenance and mods myself, so the truck isn't costing me anything.
I still think the used market is the place to be for anyone getting a new vehicle.
That Tundra should last you a lifetime if you maintain it.