Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2021, 09:54 AM

They offer Glossy or Matte, with your choice of weaves; UD, 3k, 12k. These are 40mm Glossy UD. I went glossy, knowing it would be easier to clean, seeing as it's a gravel bike. Road bike or Rim brake and I might go Matte, but I really like the sheen of these.

I love these tires! They're really fast, as in maybe 1mph slower on a road ride at the same power as some 28mm GP5000's. Super comfy! Still playing with the pressure, as I feel I could get away with lower, but I've been running them at 42/45psi for pavement.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upcountry View Post
They offer Glossy or Matte, with your choice of weaves; UD, 3k, 12k. These are 40mm Glossy UD. I went glossy, knowing it would be easier to clean, seeing as it's a gravel bike. Road bike or Rim brake and I might go Matte, but I really like the sheen of these.

I love these tires! They're really fast, as in maybe 1mph slower on a road ride at the same power as some 28mm GP5000's. Super comfy! Still playing with the pressure, as I feel I could get away with lower, but I've been running them at 42/45psi for pavement.
Agree great wheels, good call on the glossy! I’m so tempted yet again especially seeing the $60 coupon that expires today.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:27 AM

Thanks for this thread. Just ordered a wheelset to take advantage of the $60 off coupon expiring today. Seeing Upcountry's wheels helped, I changed to glossy from matte.

This will be my first set of carbon wheels and first road tubeless. Excited with some trepidation thrown in!
Old 01-12-2021, 10:35 AM

Nice work boys! The $60 helps a ton, as it essentially covers shipping, so that makes it even easier to justify.

With all that said, I've gone to the site to build up a few different wheel sets for the road bikes but just can't let myself click "buy" again just yet... Tempting though!!!
Old 01-12-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:

Cheers. I dig the tan sidewall version of the TLR Strada Bianca. Waiting on a sale to pick up a pair.

Out of curiosity, what makes you say glossy is easier to clean?
Old 01-14-2021, 11:15 AM

The weather warmed up a bit and I have gotten about 50 miles on them now. I dropped the pressure down to 36ish and this setup feels really nice! The wheels are noticeably faster than shallow boxy aluminum rims. I know "aero isn't everything" for gravel, but even with a bulbous tire, a deep wheel has to save 10+ watts.

Old 01-14-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
The weather warmed up a bit and I have gotten about 50 miles on them now. I dropped the pressure down to 36ish and this setup feels really nice! The wheels are noticeably faster than shallow boxy aluminum rims. I know "aero isn't everything" for gravel, but even with a bulbous tire, a deep wheel has to save 10+ watts.

Love that setup. Not to knock or start a debate, but who is using shallow box rims these days? I don’t think there is going to be much difference from a modern rim such as hed Belgium plus vs those. They are certainly lighter, stronger and cooler looking though (IMO)
Old 01-14-2021, 12:43 PM

I probably should have clarified... I don't imagine any true "shallow box section" rims on anyones gravel bike. I simply meant versus most of the stock spec'd aluminum rims in the 20-25mm depth range.... i.e. WTB, Easton, Stans, etc.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I probably should have clarified... I don't imagine any true "shallow box section" rims on anyones gravel bike. I simply meant versus most of the stock spec'd aluminum rims in the 20-25mm depth range.... i.e. WTB, Easton, Stans, etc.
More reason for me to order these! My eastons are heavy, around 1700g and they have a crappy hub. They cost basically the same you paid...
Old 01-14-2021, 02:58 PM

My BTLOS wheelset for my gravel bike is 25 mm in depth. Love it! On gravel and flowy singletrack where my average speed is in the low teens, I see no need for deep wheels for my gravel riding. And because the depth of my rim is only 25 mm, the wheelset is light - around 1200 or so grams! Helps a lot with climbing!

Quote:
Old 01-14-2021, 03:27 PM

For anyone with seeing BTLOS offers an Extralight disc rim for an additional $50/set to save some extra grams.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:15 PM

Did you go Extralight on the rim choice? What are your build details?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
My BTLOS wheelset for my gravel bike is 25 mm in depth. Love it! On gravel and flowy singletrack where my average speed is in the low teens, I see no need for deep wheels for my gravel riding. And because the depth of my rim is only 25 mm, the wheelset is light - around 1200 or so grams! Helps a lot with climbing!
Old 01-18-2021, 03:55 PM

I have a pair of road wheels in transit with DT 350 center lock hubs.

Does anyone know if the hubs come with the center lock lockring? ....want to be set when the wheels arrive so ordering discs now.....
Old 01-18-2021, 04:18 PM

On their website, BTLOS mostly has only has two categories for rim weight -- Premium and Standard. But if you talk to them, they can lay a Extralight version of many rims they have.

Or you can buy from EIEcarbon. These guys, I feel, have the EXACT same rims as BTLOS. But they also have an Extralight (or Superlight) version as one of the options b default. So, you can order from them without getting in touch with anyone.

I do not remember the exact rim (but pretty sure it was extralight). It was about 290 g for the rim. Then DT SWISS 180 CL hubs, and Sapim CX Ray spokes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Did you go Extralight on the rim choice? What are your build details?
Old 01-18-2021, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLS View Post
I have a pair of road wheels in transit with DT 350 center lock hubs.

Does anyone know if the hubs come with the center lock lockring? ....want to be set when the wheels arrive so ordering discs now.....
They come with rotors. IIRC DT Swiss provides a 6 bolt adapter and a lockring, but whatever rotor you ordered will likely come with the lower profile one that installs with a cassette tool.