Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33 View Post
Teaser pic of a build I have coming - long live aluminum and long live mother's!!!!
My all-time favorite Cannondale frame! I can't imagine how much time you put into that stripping and polishing job! The Six13 Team frames from c2006-2007 were a wonderful combination of geometry, ride quality, and handling. Equally at home on a century ride or an office park crit. I still kick myself for selling my last one (with the equally wonderful Slice Si fork). Can't wait to see the finished build.

Greg

Last edited by GregL; 10-26-2020 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:28 PM
aka RAEKWON

my spooky havocstaff was unforgivin. Was stiff and harsh but also one of my favorite bikes of all time (maybe my favorite), that bike was fast and felt like it was on rails. I don't attribute it only to the material though, the geo was pretty aggressive.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
one thing is for sure, aluminum can be a very smooth, great ride, but it can also be very harsh. my cinelli is easily the harshest, stiffest, most uncomfortable bike i have ever ridden. sometimes that's a good thing, sometimes, it. is. not.

that bike was built for a purpose...going fast on a smooth surface oval. I think I'd take stiff/harsh for that application any day.

Also if anyone has a Cinelli Vigorelli Rosa like that in 58 please sell it to me thanks ;-)
Old 10-26-2020, 01:33 PM
Administrator

i once rode a century on that bike on 22mm tubulars!!
Old 10-26-2020, 02:05 PM

You, sir, have a good eye and good taste and know a good ride when you see one.

I had a fire engine red back in the day and when I saw this one I had to h ave it. Still securing the decals and when done will for sure post it. It's amazing that under $1,500 got you a hand assembled made in USA aluminum and carbon frame with awesome geo and a full carbon fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
My all-time favorite Cannondale frame! I can't imagine how much time you put into that stripping and polishing job! The Six13 Team frames from c2006-2007 were a wonderful combination of geometry, ride quality, and handling. Equally at home on a century ride or an office park crit. I still kick myself for selling my last one (with the equally wonderful Slice Premium fork). Can't wait to see the finished build.

Greg
Old 10-26-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Love it!
Old 10-26-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
You, sir, have a good eye and good taste and know a good ride when you see one.

I had a fire engine red back in the day and when I saw this one I had to h ave it. Still securing the decals and when done will for sure post it. It's amazing that under $1,500 got you a hand assembled made in USA aluminum and carbon frame with awesome geo and a full carbon fork.
Thank you for the kind words! You're inspiring me to look for one again and polish it up like yours! The only positive aspect of selling mine was that it went to a fellow Paceline Forum member. I hope he's still enjoying it!

Old 10-26-2020, 03:56 PM

That be the one. What a machine!!!!! Just such an epic frame and who knew that by taking off the finish it looked even better. I ordered the wrong size clamp for the front D and the decals still need to be secured. I will shortly upgrade to an ENVE fork but after the holidays.

These are all great aluminum frames but the six13 and SystemSix were on another level and made in America at a price your average CAT 1 journeyman could afford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Thank you for the kind words! You're inspiring me to look for one again and polish it up like yours! The only positive aspect of selling mine was that it went to a fellow Paceline Forum member. I hope he's still enjoying it!

Old 10-26-2020, 04:06 PM

I didn't know some of the bikes in here were made of aluminum until browsing this thread.

My first fixed gear was aluminum, a EAI brassknuckle. Incredibly ugly bike, but fun in college. Friend has an early Cannondale, pre CAAD, that he loves.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:25 PM

I feel obligated to repost with a photo now.

Old 10-26-2020, 05:45 PM

I had a Kona zing made from dedaccai al. It rode very nicely. It was not harsh, even with 23s.

I'd get another aluminum bike if it rode as nice. Maybe when I finally get a gravel oriented bike.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:02 PM

had a Gaulzetti. big fella size, looooong seatmast.
raced cx on it, gravel metric centuries, spirited group road rides, singletrack, etc.
the best kind of stiff. not buzzy. near perfect bike.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:09 PM

Wow!!!!

Quote:
Teaser pic of a build I have coming - long live aluminum and long live mother's!!!!
Old 10-26-2020, 06:11 PM

Thats a track bike!

Of course its going to suck on the road in terms of comfort.

Quote:
one thing is for sure, aluminum can be a very smooth, great ride, but it can also be very harsh. my cinelli is easily the harshest, stiffest, most uncomfortable bike i have ever ridden. sometimes that's a good thing, sometimes, it. is. not.

Old 10-26-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Very impressive. I don't know how old you are but it is amazing to realize what some of us road when we were young. My first "real" bike was an old aluminum Cannondale. 52/42 front with a 13-21 7 speed cassette. I rode a century on that bike - with probably over 8000 feet of climbing. The thought of doing something like that now at my age makes my knees scream and my ass ache.