Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2021, 11:42 AM

So do the crank boots come with the crankset, or are they sold seperately?
Old 01-19-2021, 12:30 PM

Regarding digital calipers, I've got two of the cheap harbor freight models and haven't noticed poor accuracy or repeatability with them. Just by their nature, readings taken with the very tips will never be extremely accurate. In metric mode, the second digit is equivalent to .0004 inch, so it will be jumpy.

I started the machinist trade in 1971, when metric dimensions were unheard of in the USA, so I digest inch values more readily.

Mitutoyo was a highly regarded brand 50 years ago. When you step below the big name brands, I think it's kind of a crap shoot. I see General and Fowler on some industrial websites, that are cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Fowler-54-101...ag=googhydr-20

Last edited by Dave; 01-19-2021 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-19-2021, 01:50 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattvagen View Post
So do the crank boots come with the crankset, or are they sold seperately?
They come with the Ekar crankset and are available separately.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:26 AM

Hi Mistermo,

Really sorry I didn't know that the feature has to be set to on. I changed the setting now and I can receive PM.

Anyway, I am an Engineer and requires to have a calibrated measuring equipment for my work. The Caliper is Mitutoyo and considered as one of the best brand for measuring tools. There are many brand which is marginally cheaper than Mitutoyo and have good quality for casual use. An online shop such as Travers should have plenty of choices.

Andreas. W

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
Hi A.W., I tried to send a PM but it looks like you don't have that feature active. I'm impressed with your digital calipers and only have a cheap Harbor Freight set myself, producing inconsistent results. I see a set like yours on Amazon for $110-$150. I'm not an engineer and that's a bit pricey for something used recreationally. But I'd like to be able to do some of the analysis you did in this Ekar thread, myself. Any recommendations?

Apologies to you and others for asking this question in the Ekar thread.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:42 PM
Administrator

OK, got my paws on some of this stuff.

i like it. build quality appears excellent. this is clearly not designed as a lightweight racing kit, but built appropriately to be used hard on gravel.

looking forward to using some of this in my usual mcguyver style, but it'll be some time before the frame it's destined for arrives.

Old 01-20-2021, 05:26 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

i like it. build quality appears excellent. this is clearly not designed as a lightweight racing kit, but built appropriately to be used hard on gravel.

looking forward to using some of this in my usual mcguyver style, but it'll be some time before the frame it's destined for arrives.

Nice and nice mechanical keyboard
Old 01-20-2021, 05:32 PM

looks good. i see the crank indeed came with the crank boots. that's cool.

i'm about ready to take the plunge on one of these groups myself.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

Cool.
Where did you get it from?
My LBS is still accumulating a group for me. They are only lacking the crankset and cassette.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:04 PM

This thread is making me jealous. I have the whole kit, but waiting on wheels and still need to decide on a frame.

Angry, what wheels will you be using with your Ekar group?
Old 01-20-2021, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevers View Post
Discussed a while ago was the offset upper pulley, which makes it incompatible with 2x systems. It's the design of the derailleur, not necessarily the clutch but it doesn't look like it would mesh well with a front derailleur at all. Can't comment on the pull ratio, don't know much about campy

A very popular distributor I'm looking at has 25 individual rear derailleurs in stock.
Not dying without the clutch. Just a thought down the road.

I’ll probably pick up an ekar group one day—but the thought of getting a new freehub etc just makes me wanna keep what I have
Old 01-20-2021, 09:13 PM
3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
Not dying without the clutch. Just a thought down the road.

I’ll probably pick up an ekar group one day—but the thought of getting a new freehub etc just makes me wanna keep what I have
I wish they made a rimbrake version so it would work with my old wheels.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:42 PM

I had the good fortune of handling some Ekar stuff today myself. And one hot gravel setup I had never laid eyes on. Columbus Spirit, hand made in Italy. All in a visit to the LBS...Can't wait to build something gravely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6015.jpg (110.6 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6016.jpg (123.5 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6017.jpg (155.4 KB, 210 views)
Old 01-22-2021, 01:33 PM

i just put in emails to both Absolute Black and Wolf Tooth about their potential plans for Ekar specific 1x rings. Will report back if I hear back - but has anyone heard anything on this topic or anyone else making or planning to make aftermarket 1x rings for Ekar?

It's been my experience over the years that once price settles out on the grey market, it's generally cheaper to buy a whole new crankset than chainrings for campy kit.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
i just put in emails to both Absolute Black and Wolf Tooth about their potential plans for Ekar specific 1x rings. Will report back if I hear back - but has anyone heard anything on this topic or anyone else making or planning to make aftermarket 1x rings for Ekar?

It's been my experience over the years that once price settles out on the grey market, it's generally cheaper to buy a whole new crankset than chainrings for campy kit.
Interested in these, and Rotor too.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:

Isnt this already 1x? I think Campy chainrings are very high quality, aren't they?