Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-13-2021, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applesauce View Post
That's a big ski at a decent clip. I did 42 km at 3.55 on Monday and I'm still feeling it. We have notoriously slow, dry, abrasive snow...so I'm going to chock it up to that.
Interesting comment.

So what's the most 'ideal' snow for XC?
Old 01-14-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Interesting comment.

Well, I'm at the height of ignorance in not yet even knowing what I don't know, but for me at this point it's relatively soft, freshly groomed "slow" snow, like I skied on this morning, that lets me focus on technique. After 9 outings, I can generally make it through an hour long ski without tipping over, with not that many form breaks, and can go one slightly challenging terrain. I seem to have broken through the milestone of being able to ski faster than most runners can run.

I can not yet imagine going 40 miles much less doing it at Andy's pace. I'm about 90 seconds per mile slower than his 40 mile pace on my 10 mile skis. But apart from often not being able to lift my arms up, this is the most fun I've had in the winter for a long, long time.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:47 AM

I think that winter is a great time of the year. Just the time for skiing
Old 01-20-2021, 10:55 AM

There is almost no place to ski in my city. Everything is covered with sand. Of course the government does this so that people don't slip, but they didn't think about those who like to ski. I believe that the most cool roads for skiing are the roads in the mountains. Every winter I prefer to fly to another country for skiing or snowboarding. Winter sports gives me a lot of adrenaline. Every year I specifically choose different places for my vacation on Blue House Skis. If you have never been in the mountains, then you have to go there.

Last edited by Ewalls; 01-24-2021 at 05:22 AM.
Old 01-20-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Interesting comment.

In upstate NY....it's exactly the pattern we are in now.
Start with a "typical" northeast storm. Get at least 6 inches of the high density, high moisture stuff and let it settle. Lay tracks in it.
Then follow with day after day of 1-2 inch lake effect snowfall, which is dry, low density powder and skis wonderfully on top of a firm base.
It's fast, smooth and you also have good control with the powder on top.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:34 PM

So I'm out skiing (skating) this morning, and I'm going decently well considering it's like my 10th time out. And then I look across the brook and these two guys are joking around with each other going 5 times my speed. WTH?

Where do the speed leaps come from? Are they poling that much harder? I try to do no poles and double poling at least for a bit each time out but holy crap these guys seemed like they were ice skating, it just seemed effortless.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
So I'm out skiing (skating) this morning, and I'm going decently well considering it's like my 10th time out. And then I look across the brook and these two guys are joking around with each other going 5 times my speed. WTH?

Where do the speed leaps come from? Are they poling that much harder? I try to do no poles and double poling at least for a bit each time out but holy crap these guys seemed like they were ice skating, it just seemed effortless.

Not poling harder, that isn't the key. Proper technique with the upper body and poling is huge but it's a combo of everything. Weight transfer, balance, riding a flat ski, wax, structure, ski flex, etc all have an affect on your speed. Also if you're just cruising around with V1 on the flats someone using V2 or V2 alt will likely be going much faster.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
Not poling harder, that isn't the key. Proper technique with the upper body and poling is huge but it's a combo of everything. Weight transfer, balance, riding a flat ski, wax, structure, ski flex, etc all have an affect on your speed. Also if you're just cruising around with V1 on the flats someone using V2 or V2 alt will likely be going much faster.
Thanks, and now I know what V1, V2, and V2 alt mean. Exciting. I don't even know that I could do V1 on the flat, pretty much only do it when it's too steep to glide. I think flat skis probably have a lot to do with it. Downhill, I'm quite a good glider, always have been. XC? I'm now pretty good at not randomly falling over. Though I was kind of booking it for a while today. It's really fun.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:51 PM

Poling harder will speed you up for a few minutes then blow your arm strength most likely. Working on balance and weight transfer is what I’d focus on, if you can eek a little bit out of every glide it adds up exponentially. This entails being steady on a flat ski, proper compression along the step, shifting your weight from side to side. On days that I’m skiing well, I can more or less keep with my ski partners without my poles by focusing on good technique

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2021, 03:57 PM

I'm going to try this since it may be a good alternate activity for the winter, but I'm mostly in the dark about skis, poles, and boots, so I am in the hands of my local shop. They seem pretty good. One salesperson recommended some Rosignol Evo skis while another an Atomic equivalent. I live near some ski trails that seem more for advanced to intermediate folks, but I have access to a lake with a few inches of snow on it and it is occasionally groomed for the local high school ski team.

Having just relocated from a climate where I could road bike year round, I'm adjusting to how to stay in shape and XCountry skiing seems like an option. I get out on local trails and walk or snowshoe and compliment that with some time on the trainer to maintain some fitness.

I have been watching You Tube videos about skiing while on the trainer, so sometime soon I plan to get some skis, go out on the lake and give it a try and see where it goes. It is going to be a long winter and I need to do something ...
Old 01-22-2021, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalheart View Post
I'm going to try this since it may be a good alternate activity for the winter, but I'm mostly in the dark about skis, poles, and boots, so I am in the hands of my local shop.
Is New Moon local to you? They will get you set up with whatever you need.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by November Dave View Post

THIS!
same story with me last weekend at Whistler Olympic Village. Exactly the same feelings and frustration, LOL!
Old 01-22-2021, 06:40 PM

In addition to New Moon (Hayward so a bit of a trek for you) I highly recommend Dan Clausen at the ski shop at Minocqua Winter Park -- one of the best ski areas in the Midwest and a hop, ski and jump from you. I patrolled there for about 5 years.

Competed against Dan back in the late 70s/early 80s (never beat him) and he went on to the USSA Telemark Demo team and lots of other fun stuff. Amazing instructor; lessons with him are well worth your time and money.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
Is New Moon local to you? They will get you set up with whatever you need.
Hayward (New Moon) is a bit of a drive for me but Minocqua is more or less local so I will give Dan a try and see what goes from there. I miss riding the bike, but developing a new skill can help with readjusting...... Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 01-22-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalheart View Post
Hayward (New Moon) is a bit of a drive for me but Minocqua is more or less local so I will give Dan a try and see what goes from there. I miss riding the bike, but developing a new skill can help with readjusting...... Thanks for the suggestions!
Fat bike trails too at MWP -- just sayin'