Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2021, 10:07 PM
Administrator

OT: Concept 2 retrofit

I'm curious if anyone has done the PM5 retrofit on an older model C2? Mrs. William is interested because of the connectivity for tracking data. Personally I could go either way but it's not a big deal for me. Seems to be a pretty easy switch to do.

Anyone made the switch? How do you like it?

W.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:38 PM

Thought about it but couldn’t justify the expense. Instead I bought an adapter and use the LiveRowing app on my iPhone. The app works well for my workouts and it keeps track of my data. Added bonus is the iPhone display is much better than the concept2 offerings.

Last edited by MXLeader; 01-20-2021 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
I'm curious if anyone has done the PM5 retrofit on an older model C2? Mrs. William is interested because of the connectivity for tracking data. Personally I could go either way but it's not a big deal for me. Seems to be a pretty easy switch to do.

W.
I haven’t updated to a PM5 on my model C but upgraded it to a PM3 years ago when I was still rowing seriously. It’s super easy to do as far as the swap and C2 instructions cover it all. Having overhauled a bunch of ergs (including my own), any sort of maintenance is pretty simple for anyone with even basic bike mechanic skills
Old 01-20-2021, 07:19 AM

Quote:

W.
Not that I use mine much, but when I thought I would I did the handle and the PM5 as I bought my unit without any PM. I can't speak to how it performs over any of the others, but it's plug and play and replacing the arm, IIRC. Took 5 minutes to install, syncs to my phone and picks up my ant+ hr sensor.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:09 AM

OT OT: If you've had problems with the stock Concept2 seat, I'd highly recommend the EndureRow seat.

https://endurerow.com/
Old 01-20-2021, 12:57 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

I'd say that if she's using the rower regularly and into data and tracking her improvements over time, then I say do it. The PM5 + Ergdata (see C2 web site for info on that) will give her everything she could possibly want.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I'd say that if she's using the rower regularly and into data and tracking her improvements over time, then I say do it. The PM5 + Ergdata (see C2 web site for info on that) will give her everything she could possibly want.
If she wants one we'll likely get it. I'm sure I can handle hooking it up. Heck, a few years back the original on my model C went kaput. I took it apart, cleaned the contacts, put it back together and it's been working great ever since. I was curious if there are any other good functions beyond the standard basic info of the older units.

Quote:
Instead I bought an adapter and use the LiveRowing app on my iPhone. The app works well for my workouts and it keeps track of my data. Added bonus is the iPhone display is much better than the concept2 offerings.
Just to cover all options, what adaptor are you referring to?

W.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:26 PM

I have a model c and did this a year ago. It might have taken 5 minutes if that. It is better for tracking data if she is into that. IMO it eats batteries more quickly. Make sure you order the one that fits your model as I think the retrofit mounts differ slightly.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:48 AM

Mine came with a pm5. It does what it’s supposed to. I have even connected it zwift and done some group rides. If it motivates her I would say do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2021, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Just to cover all options, what adaptor are you referring to
I should've been more specific. It's $45 from the LiveRowing website:

"LiveRowing Connect will connect your iPhone or iPod Touch to the Concept2 Performance Monitor 3, 4 or 5. LiveRowing Connect will make a tethered connection between the Concept2 Performance Monitor and your Apple device. This is required to use the LiveRowing App if you have a Performance Monitor 3 or 4. Ships with Free Smartphone cradle."
Old 01-21-2021, 02:53 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

William,

One caveat, as noted above, is that the local details at the PM of the mounting arm for a PM2 or PM2+ are slightly different from those of a PM3 or up. So if you're replacing a PM2 or older you'll either need to do some slight sanding / filing to get the PM5 to fit, or you'll need a newer mounting arm. I chose to go with the second option because the arm really wasn't very expensive.

What surprised me is that C2 shows the same part number for the arm on an old Model C with PM2 as it does for a newer D with a newer PM. They are are superficially very similar, but slightly different where the PMs mount. Any decent configuration control drawing system should distinguish between the two arms, but in this case they don't. (which lead me to assume that I didn't need a new arm, but once I tried to mount the newer PM on the old arm I realized that something was amiss, so I decided to get a new arm)

I hope that all makes sense...
Old 01-22-2021, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
William,

One caveat, as noted above, is that the local details at the PM of the mounting arm for a PM2 or PM2+ are slightly different from those of a PM3 or up. So if you're replacing a PM2 or older you'll either need to do some slight sanding / filing to get the PM5 to fit, or you'll need a newer mounting arm. I chose to go with the second option because the arm really wasn't very expensive.

What surprised me is that C2 shows the same part number for the arm on an old Model C with PM2 as it does for a newer D with a newer PM. They are are superficially very similar, but slightly different where the PMs mount. Any decent configuration control drawing system should distinguish between the two arms, but in this case they don't. (which lead me to assume that I didn't need a new arm, but once I tried to mount the newer PM on the old arm I realized that something was amiss, so I decided to get a new arm)

I hope that all makes sense...

Good info, thank you.

W.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:54 PM

I did the same as you talked about with your Model C Performance Monitor, opening it up and cleaning it twice, but eventually mine died, so I bought the PM5. The PM5 conversion comes with a different arm for holding the monitor. Not a big deal. Just call C2 and they'll let you know what you need. I also upgraded to the new handle, as it more closely mimics hand position at the finish (for a sculler anyway).

Ergdata is an excellent app that talks to the PM5 and records your workouts. It will upload to the C2 logbook if desired (which is fun).

The PM5 has built-in Ant+ and Bluetooth connectivity for heart rate data as well. For me though, the ability to have Ergdata display the drag factor in real time has been very useful. It's really nice to be able to precisely set the drag factor to where I want it (I have it dialed in to mimic rowing my single).

CaptStash....

Quote:
If she wants one we'll likely get it. I'm sure I can handle hooking it up. Heck, a few years back the original on my model C went kaput. I took it apart, cleaned the contacts, put it back together and it's been working great ever since. I was curious if there are any other good functions beyond the standard basic info of the older units.

Just to cover all options, what adaptor are you referring to?

W.
Old 01-24-2021, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptStash View Post
I did the same as you talked about with your Model C Performance Monitor, opening it up and cleaning it twice, but eventually mine died, so I bought the PM5. The PM5 conversion comes with a different arm for holding the monitor. Not a big deal. Just call C2 and they'll let you know what you need. I also upgraded to the new handle, as it more closely mimics hand position at the finish (for a sculler anyway).

Ergdata is an excellent app that talks to the PM5 and records your workouts. It will upload to the C2 logbook if desired (which is fun).

The PM5 has built-in Ant+ and Bluetooth connectivity for heart rate data as well. For me though, the ability to have Ergdata display the drag factor in real time has been very useful. It's really nice to be able to precisely set the drag factor to where I want it (I have it dialed in to mimic rowing my single).

CaptStash....
Good info, thank you!

I will check back in after the retrofit and have had some time to play with it. It will also be a good time for new foot straps, handle, and rollers. I works just fine now but I might as well restomod it while I'm at it.

W.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptStash View Post

CaptStash....
You can also link it to Strava, if you are so inclined.

Chris