Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2021, 03:44 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
...There's a ton of value in that IMO and I think you do enough of these kinds of sports growing up it will teach you more about about listening to your body and taking your own initiative vs just getting yelled at by a coach and doing what you're told.
Thread drift....

I hear what you are saying....but organized sports also have social aspect where kids learn about getting along, teamwork, leadership, sharing success and "failure"*, and frankly, just playing with their friends.

While I was coaching youth soccer, playing with friends and making new friends was the #1 reason most of the players showed up. It's the adults that ruin youth sports....not the kids.

* - as we all know, there is no "failure" in youth sports, unlike when we were kids.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:45 PM

Peak Zwift 49,114

https://zwiftinsider.com/peak-zwift-49114/
Old 01-19-2021, 05:33 PM

Note that it's also in Outside's interest for a cycling boom to continue.

Many of us are fickle. We pursue different activities at different times of year, at different times in our lives. We try something new, or maybe retry something old. Not all of us, to be sure, but many of us.

Kickboxing
Various martial arts
No pain no gain weightlifting
Jane Fonda/Richard Simmons aerobics
Marathons/ultra running
HIIT

And don't start me on the diet and nutrition fads, some of which I've seen come and go more than once in my life.

Having said that, these fads aren't necessarily bad. As I've aged, especially the last 10 years or so, I tend to measure (if I do at all) exercise by time, not heartrate or PR. I don't think it makes a huge amount of difference if you ride a bike, run, kayak, climb, practice yoga or pilates, lift weights, do LSD workouts, HIIT workouts, swim, play soccer, lacrosse, hike/backpack, high level table tennis or badminton, etc.

It's all good. Whatever gets you moving is good.

As the iconic slogan said - Just Do It. And "it" doesn't matter. Whatever it is, whatever piques your interest, just do it.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:31 PM

If the "boom" hangs around long enough to drive infrastructure change -- more protected bike lanes, bike trails, etc -- then maybe, but it won't be because of commuting. If people are comfortable going back to the office then they're comfortable going back to the train and the gym. I think it's already dying off here as I'm seeing a lot of barely-used, high-end bikes for sale on CL. Going to be a buyer's market come spring, imo.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:43 PM

That's great news! I hope it's the case. The more bikes the better .

Last edited by Hellgate; 01-20-2021 at 04:51 AM.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Note that it's also in Outside's interest for a cycling boom to continue.

Many of us are fickle. We pursue different activities at different times of year, at different times in our lives. We try something new, or maybe retry something old. Not all of us, to be sure, but many of us.

Kickboxing
Various martial arts
No pain no gain weightlifting
Jane Fonda/Richard Simmons aerobics
Marathons/ultra running
HIIT

And don't start me on the diet and nutrition fads, some of which I've seen come and go more than once in my life.

Having said that, these fads aren't necessarily bad. As I've aged, especially the last 10 years or so, I tend to measure (if I do at all) exercise by time, not heartrate or PR. I don't think it makes a huge amount of difference if you ride a bike, run, kayak, climb, practice yoga or pilates, lift weights, do LSD workouts, HIIT workouts, swim, play soccer, lacrosse, hike/backpack, high level table tennis or badminton, etc.

As the iconic slogan said - Just Do It. And "it" doesn't matter. Whatever it is, whatever piques your interest, just do it.
As I always tell my students, "You gotta move". This can be applied to almost any activity and at any age. In my case it's about training martial arts which I've stuck with since the 80's. Cycling takes a close second but there have been a few off years sporadically mixed in. I also realize I'm not the norm and the majority of people tend to move in and out of activities. I don't see the "boom" lasting. I do think the end result will be more people riding, but a large segment will move on and then the buyers market will return.

This reminded me of a video of former Dallas Cowboy Randy White. He found something to keep moving at 68 years old...

W.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Honestly it sounds bad but I almost want a lot of the new crowd of MTB & hikers to get bored as covid goes away.
Unfortunately I agree. I would add the new and/or returning crop of alpine and XC skiers to the list. It’s bonkers out there. I mean, I can’t fault everyone for having the same good idea we’ve always had, but...
Old 01-19-2021, 11:14 PM

that made me laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
People will go back to commuting into the office soon enough. Then that 1000 calorie deli sandwich is going to be awesome. Then the commute back home.....and onto the couch for the early evening nap. Twenty pounds later that hill is going to really suck. Bike for sale.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:45 PM

So I’m probably a bit of an outlier here, but I’ve reconnected with my lifelong love of cycling during the covid 19 pandemic and “bike boom”.

I grew up riding mountain bikes, started racing Sea Otter and other NORBA races in my teenage years are on a junior development team, mostly gravity events, and eventually fell out of it as I approached college. For the next 10+ years to me, my bike was just a means of transportation/commuter.

Life is kind of like a road with a lot of forks, and sometimes you find your way back onto a path you were meant to be on. I really feel like I’m back in this, enjoying it, and passionate for the long haul. I do have aspirations to race in events like Grinduro, Eroica, BWR, and complete my first brevet, but I’m just really happy to have reconnected with cycling for both fitness, mental fitness, and overall enjoyment reasons.
Old 01-20-2021, 12:36 AM

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Thread drift....

I hear what you are saying....but organized sports also have social aspect where kids learn about getting along, teamwork, leadership, sharing success and "failure"*, and frankly, just playing with their friends.

While I was coaching youth soccer, playing with friends and making new friends was the #1 reason most of the players showed up. It's the adults that ruin youth sports....not the kids.

* - as we all know, there is no "failure" in youth sports, unlike when we were kids.
There are benefits to both individual sports and team sports. I ski raced in high school and played baseball. I also rode bikes non competitively, both road and mountain bikes. All these endeavors helped shape me. I learned how to win or lose on my own or as part of a team. I was self reliant and also was able to sacrifice for the good of a whole. I made friends in all three activities. And yes, it is adults that ruin youth sports.
Old 01-20-2021, 12:40 AM

It is a bummer to see people more interested in wishing new cyclists to fail than to encourage them to learn and be part of a community.

Trail systems can be bolstered or expanded, and new trail systems can be built - but we need MORE people riding and advocating for that to happen and to be funded. Roads can become safer for all of us, cities can prioritize bikes as a mode of transportation. But that requires more people riding the roads and advocating for change in their communities.

The idea that bikes are only a stopgap and all the new riders will go back to the gym or spin class the moment those places reopen seems odd. Surely some people will, but I think many have discovered just how fun it is to actually be outside. I do sincerely hope a significant percentage of those new or re-inspired cyclists stay involved in the sport and become part of their local cycling communities. It's better for all of us.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:31 AM

If the 1973 oil embargo didn't get it done, COVID ain't got a chance. The only thing the embargo got cyclists were Chevy Vegas and Ford Pintos; they hurt less when they hit you.

Last edited by Nomadmax; 01-21-2021 at 05:37 AM.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
As workers return to offices, they may still feel most comfortable with socially distant commutes rather than public transit
My son works in QC for a bank..worked in a 'cube farm' until COVID..work from home now and the group's productivity up 25-30%. Bank sees this as the future, plus they save the $ of a YUGE office space cube farm..

So....not sure commuter bikes will necessarily lead the way..if lots of people don't commute...

From Pinned above
Quote:
to be funded
With tax receipts in the toilet, with many people unemployed or struggling..that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-20-2021 at 06:03 AM.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottshead View Post
So I’m probably a bit of an outlier here, but I’ve reconnected with my lifelong love of cycling during the covid 19 pandemic and “bike boom”.

I grew up riding mountain bikes, started racing Sea Otter and other NORBA races in my teenage years are on a junior development team, mostly gravity events, and eventually fell out of it as I approached college. For the next 10+ years to me, my bike was just a means of transportation/commuter.

Life is kind of like a road with a lot of forks, and sometimes you find your way back onto a path you were meant to be on. I really feel like I’m back in this, enjoying it, and passionate for the long haul. I do have aspirations to race in events like Grinduro, Eroica, BWR, and complete my first brevet, but I’m just really happy to have reconnected with cycling for both fitness, mental fitness, and overall enjoyment reasons.
Fantastic post. I hope there are others like you. The more cyclists on the road, the better.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:24 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I’m not sure where all the “hateful” opinions are. I think (based on over a decade in the fitness industry) that most of the newcomers to cycling will lose interest. A few will discover the “zen” of the sport and retain (or increase) their passion. I think it’s a realistic assessment.

But I hope I’m wrong.
I'm betting that maybe 10% will stick with it once they can get back to 'real life.'

M

edited to add: just like the running boom, and the 1st bike boom.