Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-12-2021, 08:26 PM

Boston-area voters want more room for bikes — even if it means les

A recent article on Boston.com (run by the Boston Globe newspaper) says a poll shows that Boston area voters want more room for bikes - including separated bike lanes - even if it is at the expense of space for cars:

https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...utdoor-dining/

That would be great if the city leaders actually acted on these desires. We'll see if anything comes of it or not, but maybe this shows that people are leaning towards more bike & pedestrian friendly city streets.
Old 06-13-2021, 07:16 AM

Do you think it might play into the Mayor's race as an issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
A recent article on Boston.com (run by the Boston Globe newspaper) says a poll shows that Boston area voters want more room for bikes - including separated bike lanes - even if it is at the expense of space for cars:

https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...utdoor-dining/

That would be great if the city leaders actually acted on these desires. We'll see if anything comes of it or not, but maybe this shows that people are leaning towards more bike & pedestrian friendly city streets.
Old 06-13-2021, 12:51 PM

Roslindale resident here. I was pleasantly surprised recently to find parts of the Arborway from Jamaica Pond to Forest Hills is reduced to one lane now with a bike lane added. Hope to see more...
Old 06-13-2021, 12:55 PM
aka RAEKWON

If it were up to me, there would be a max amount of cars allowed in big cities. More bike lanes, bigger sidewalks. I love cars but driving in the city is aweful. I just drove down to brooklyn the other day and it was horrible, light at every corner and light camera or speed camera at every other light (not that you need this, you not going to be speeding anywhere). Then there were more potholes than smooth pavement.
Old 06-13-2021, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Do you think it might play into the Mayor's race as an issue?
It might be brought up in passing, but I suspect this issue isn't divisive enough to get the press that more controversial issues tend to dominate.
Old 06-13-2021, 01:36 PM

No offense folks but poll results are always suspect these days. This one relies on info gathered from 670 registered voters living within the rte 128 belt including 418 who actually live in Boston. The Boston Metropolitan Statistical Area has a total population of 4.8 million and Boston's is 680,000+or -.
Old 06-13-2021, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
No offense folks but poll results are always suspect these days. This one relies on info gathered from 670 registered voters living within the rte 128 belt including 418 who actually live in Boston. The Boston Metropolitan Statistical Area has a total population of 4.8 million and Boston's is 680,000+or -.
A well conducted poll with good sampling methodology only needs a small subset of a population to get good results. While I don't know the quality of this particular poll, I don't know that we should discount all polls out of hand.