Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2023, 11:39 AM

Flared bars and angled controls are a resounding 'no' for me and I ride mtb trails on my cross bike. Happy just using enve compact road bars.

Great that there are so many options for different tastes. ie. the ritchey venturemax was the worst handlebar I've ever ridden with respect to the drops. The placement of that ergo bump was disastrous for off road.
Old 12-03-2023, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesNdeed View Post
Fully agreed. All I would add is that on the big flare bars, minimal drop is required to fit hands in the drops making stack height less. A lot less in the case of the Ritchey Beacon WCS bars. It gives it an almost/sort of/more like flat bar/MTB feel. And a lot more inviting to use more frequently. My 650B build with these bars is currently my bike of choice.

They just do.

Lol. Alright I'll take a stab at this one.

Braking in the drops gives the hands more leverage on brake levers than in the hoods. So it should also mean that it takes less for the hands to apply sufficient brake power. That's a really good thing when descending long, rough and steep descents. I think this speaks to what Likes is saying, but I can't say they the flared bars can generate more braking power in the drops than bars with no flare. Maybe if one has arthritis and the flared allows the hands to rest in a more comfortable position?
Thanks for the hat-tip to us arthritic riders… I would only ride Campagnolo stuff IF their calipers were canted..as it is on all my bikes I can’t the entire lever inward to ease my wrist arthritis More so on my gravel bike GRX