Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
I have a dog, Damsel. She is about 15. She does this whining thing every morning, around 3am. I hear it and wake up. If she coughs, I hear it and wake up. If she grumbles, I hear it and wake up. I wear ear plugs every night, have for years.
You can wear them, but you'll still wake up. You may not hear the trash truck, or the neighbors dog, or other things, but you'll hear Jack.
My dog, Max, is turning 11. He sleeps with us, and in the middle of the night, he occasionally likes to get himself a drink. So he'll hop down off the bed, amble into the bathroom where we keep a waterbowl, have a slurp, and then amble back to the base of the bed.

There he'll give his collar a jingle, asking for a boost back into bed. I'll wake, hear him, hop out, give him a boost and a hug, then get back into bed. He might then settle at my feet, or more likely, stroll past me and climb onto the pillows at the head of the bed, on my wife's side.

I wouldn't change this for the world.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 08-04-2020, 11:02 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
...Jack likes to meow and cry at between 5am and 6am every damn morning....Recommendations?
Jack is not crying....

Jack is telling you to get out of bed and go for a ride. See "early morning ride" thread. Jack loves you and wants the best for you.

(white noise machines are great).
Old 08-04-2020, 11:30 AM

This post resonates with me.

I have a black cat named Bosley who is 14 and I’ve had him for 13.5 of those years.

This means I’ve been waking up everyday at 6am for 13.5 years.

That being said there have been seasons of my life I longed to sleep in (my goal was to sleep till 8am...) and earplugs really do help with that. I second the Hearos earplugs mentioned in the amazon link earlier. I believe they make a blue version that has an even high decibel rating - I high recommend these. Soft and drowns out most noise.

Warning though: once you get accustomed to sleeping with earplugs and the quietness it brings it’s difficult to go back to sleeping with no earplugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2020, 12:02 PM

Bosley!

And thanks for all the feedback.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
HA.....the design looks like something straight out of the 60's.....but it's function or form
The original SleepMate was invented by J.K. Buckwalter in 1962 so there's good reason for that.

I currently use a Dohm (SleepMate copy). For many years I used a CD of white noise with the sound of a fan over it. When I travel I use a white noise app.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:12 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
The original SleepMate was invented by J.K. Buckwalter in 1962 so there's good reason for that.

I currently use a Dohm (SleepMate copy). For many years I used a CD of white noise with the sound of a fan over it. When I travel I use a white noise app.
SleepMate's are great....we've used some electronic ones that have different noises (waves, wind, babbling brook, etc)...the problem is that the recorded sounds are on a loop and eventually become a pattern....like a drip, drip, drip o a faucet.....ugh.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:21 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Lots of black cats on the forum. This is Nyx, back in her exploring & hunting days. She's now 19 yrs old, so she leaves that to Nellie.

Old 08-04-2020, 01:23 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
Yes, jack does it to wake me up for breakfast. canned food only. and we have a dog that loves to eat it as well.
In that case, I would suggest getting up and feeding him, then going back to bed.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:26 PM

In the Army I used simple foam plugs. I found them very effective. After a couple nights of using them I didn't notice them at all.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
SleepMate's are great....we've used some electronic ones that have different noises (waves, wind, babbling brook, etc)...the problem is that the recorded sounds are on a loop and eventually become a pattern....like a drip, drip, drip o a faucet.....ugh.
Yep, been there. If the loop is around 90 minutes (approximate sleep cycle) then I've found it's not a big deal. But, 10-15 minutes? That's a deal breaker.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:42 PM

Jack is a handsome fella and lookin good at 18.

Here's Rosemary and Teak.

Old 08-04-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Embrace the cat. He knows what's good for you.

Go to sleep earlier. Get up with Jack.

Seriously...
THAT'S FUNNY! And true...
Old 08-04-2020, 08:34 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
My dog, Max, is turning 11. He sleeps with us, and in the middle of the night, he occasionally likes to get himself a drink. So he'll hop down off the bed, amble into the bathroom where we keep a waterbowl, have a slurp, and then amble back to the base of the bed.

There he'll give his collar a jingle, asking for a boost back into bed. I'll wake, hear him, hop out, give him a boost and a hug, then get back into bed. He might then settle at my feet, or more likely, stroll past me and climb onto the pillows at the head of the bed, on my wife's side.

I wouldn't change this for the world.
You said you don't mind helping Max out, but as you probably know, they do make steps and ramps, for dogs (or cats). If he may need to use something like that in the future now's the time to get him used to it. (e.g. before his eyesight gets bad, or whatever).

Heck, if you really want to get fancy, you could build him one of these:

Old 08-04-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
You said you don't mind helping Max out, but as you probably know, they do make steps and ramps, for dogs (or cats). If he may need to use something like that in the future now's the time to get him used to it. (e.g. before his eyesight gets bad, or whatever).

Thanks...we tried steps a few years ago. He just ignored them. I should probably build him something that he'll like/use. Jumping down isn't good for his hips. For now, he can run up the stairs and jump up on the bed when he wants. In the evening sometimes he chooses not to...he stops at the bottom of the stairs and asks for a ride. Then he'll hop up on the bed.

Some may say he's just spoiled.

IDK.

I'm okay with that.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 08-04-2020, 08:47 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Thanks...we tried steps a few years ago. He just ignored them
My sister had some steps made for our mother's old and nearly completely blind schnauzer and she doesn't use them either. I'm not sure why, but that's what motivated my suggestion to not wait too long.