Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2020, 07:00 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRider View Post
The Falz forks are made in Taiwan. As it was explained to us, we are a Pegoretti dealer, it is a Dario design and he had a heavy hand in its development and quality control.
He was very proud of it, too.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
It´s still a great fork.
Yup. On the second one on my Strong only because I had a mishap with an accord (honda). Replaced it with another . Best handling bike I ever had (still got it). Its the geo man...............
Old 08-05-2020, 07:55 AM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
This thread reminded me of the discussion ath in which some guy was insisting that the Falz fork was made by Trigon, and Dario (who the guy clearly didn't know was Dario) kept asking the guy for his sources and countering that the forks were not made by Trigon. For over a page of back-and-forth debate, Dario kept telling the guy his sources were wrong. When the guy asked Dario for his source, Dario quipped: "I am just a blacksmith , sorry!” Finally, someone put an end to the antics by telling the guy that “Mr. Round = Dario.”

Someone here has the phrase "I am just a blacksmith” as their signature.

Round: But is not the factory that make the falz fork.
What is your background to say this?

Pasquino: technical international press,and the your one?

Round: What kind of international press?
I am just a blacksmith , sorry!

Pasquino: sorry,i want to talk about a beatiful fork for one of the
best steel bike in the world,not about newspaper.
if you know something interesting,please tell us,otherwise let answer
someone else.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:27 AM

Yeah I remember this to ATH. Funny.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:45 PM

Anyone remember the movie Back to School with Rodney Dangerfield?

Classic scene where Rodney has Kurt Vonnegut write a paper on one of his novels only to have the professor grading the paper remark that whoever wrote this paper doesn’t know **** about Vonnegut.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
Round: But is not the factory that make the falz fork.
What is your background to say this?

Pasquino: technical international press,and the your one?

Round: What kind of international press?
I am just a blacksmith , sorry!

Pasquino: sorry,i want to talk about a beatiful fork for one of the
best steel bike in the world,not about newspaper.
if you know something interesting,please tell us,otherwise let answer
someone else.
Does anyone have the link to the original thread that this was based on? Sounds like a fun read!

Thanks,
Greg
Old 08-05-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Does anyone have the link to the original thread that this was based on? Sounds like a fun read!

Thanks,
Greg
https://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...i-4292-45.html

start at post 900 or so
Old 08-05-2020, 01:18 PM

I love how SteveP comments, “that settles that” and the comedy goes on for another page. I remember refreshing the page and laughing out loud as each post got more absurd than the last.
Old 08-05-2020, 01:19 PM

I love how SteveP comments, “that settles that” and the comedy goes on for another page. I remember refreshing the page and laughing out loud as each post got more absurd than the last. The whole SO thread is a treasure trove of insights from Dario.
Old 08-05-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallizes View Post
Grazie!
Old 08-06-2020, 09:19 PM

Close, but not quite accurate...

As much as I liked many of the folks at MQC they had nothing to do with the fork line except to screw it up and kill it after the real Reynolds Composites team handed over production after the sale of our company.

The main reason MQC bought Reynolds composites was for the brand. They had previously purchased Lew wheels and wanted stronger brand recognition.

Along with the Lew deal came Jason Shiers who was run out of the company for some reason and went on to found Edge and kicked their butts in the market. A really clever guy for sure. BTW...he and no one else at Edge were founders or principles of MQC and had nothing to to with the development of the original Ouzo Pro line. But, as a group of smart guys, they were able to learn and build upon what they’d seen at the “New Reynold” as it had been rebranded.

Not sure why they killed off the fork line but you may be correct in that nobody was left to carry on with it. Or, take responsibility for it. There was a very “interesting” management team in place at that time and they didn’t GAS about bikes. We literally had to teach most of them the proper names for all the parts. Top tube, down tube etc. Pretty sad/funny at the same time. I knew the old team was doomed which is one of the reasons I left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
The designer (Mike Lopez) left MQC/Reynolds to partner with Serotta (and iirc to do other carbon fabrication), and then the other MQC founding partners left to start Edge (which later changed its name to Enve). My recollection was that there was no one left at Reynolds with either the know-how or the desire to keep the fork production going. Perhaps Mike Lopez can chime in to clarify the history.

Serotta forks are still some of the best forks for rim brakes ever made, in different stiffnesses no less, and I believe Mike makes current versions that are available through Holland. And of course Enve has grown to a dominant position in the aftermarket/custom bike fork market. Reynolds killed off the Ouzo Pro, but the braintrust that created it is still very much active.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lopez View Post
As much as I liked many of the folks at MQC they had nothing to do with the fork line except to screw it up and kill it after the real Reynolds Composites team handed over production after the sale of our company.

The main reason MQC bought Reynolds composites was for the brand. They had previously purchased Lew wheels and wanted stronger brand recognition.

Along with the Lew deal came Jason Shiers who was run out of the company for some reason and went on to found Edge and kicked their butts in the market. A really clever guy for sure. BTW...he and no one else at Edge were founders or principles of MQC and had nothing to to with the development of the original Ouzo Pro line. But, as a group of smart guys, they were able to learn and build upon what they’d seen at the “New Reynold” as it had been rebranded.

Not sure why they killed off the fork line but you may be correct in that nobody was left to carry on with it. Or, take responsibility for it. There was a very “interesting” management team in place at that time and they didn’t GAS about bikes. We literally had to teach most of them the proper names for all the parts. Top tube, down tube etc. Pretty sad/funny at the same time. I knew the old team was doomed which is one of the reasons I left.
Thanks for the clarification, Mike. With a bit of digging in the archives, I found the post I was thinking of where you provided a bit more of the history:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...75&postcount=7

Hard to believe it’s been over 10 years.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:06 PM

I had completely forgotten about the interaction between Dario and that other dude. It was basically this scene come to life.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasquino View Post
holy smokes!!
what a shame,i didn't know it.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:40 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfscott View Post
Anyone remember the movie Back to School with Rodney Dangerfield?

Classic scene where Rodney has Kurt Vonnegut write a paper on one of his novels only to have the professor grading the paper remark that whoever wrote this paper doesn’t know **** about Vonnegut.
Personally I think they cribbed that from Woody Allen in Annie Hall:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRcMsqCbzWk