Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-30-2020, 10:25 PM

Track bike advice

I am pretty new to track racing and was wondering what the thoughts are on used track bikes? I am considering a used steel track bike from the 90’s, but wondering if something newer would be better possibly aluminium? Help a newbie out!! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2020, 10:38 PM

Well, it depends IMO.

Are going to just give it a try or are serious about it?

What frame are we talking about here? a lot of non track stuff marketed as such in the market. Even seen some road colnagos super that had the drop outs swapped for track ones.

As for aluminum or steel, IMO if the geometry is the right one you can do track even in a bike made of straight gauge tubing.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:55 PM

Go get a Bianchi Pista or Felt whatever their entry level track frame is, and go have fun.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:57 PM

Unless we are talking about the old bianchi pista and not the new chromed ones that I would not even put them in the same category of the old bianchi pista... yes, i would pick that.

The chromed ones arent even close to a track frame if this dude is serious going into racing, if he is going to taste it and just mess with it, even an old road bike will do, just put fix gear and go to race. Yeah the BB height... as long as you are pedaling u shouldnt have problems because the BB is tad low.

A lot of guys in the track over there at london canada in road bikes, hell i went with one years ago ;D

Last edited by ultraman6970; 07-30-2020 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Unless we are talking about the old bianchi pista and not the new chromed ones that I would not even put them in the same category of the old bianchi pista... yes, i would pick that.

The chromed ones arent even close to a track frame if this dude is serious going into racing, if he is going to taste it and just mess with it, even an old road bike will do, just put fix gear and go to race. Yeah the BB height... as long as you are pedaling u shouldnt have problems because the BB is tad low.

A lot of guys in the track over there at london canada in road bikes, hell i went with one years ago ;D
Bruh, raced a "chrome" one at Dick Lane for years with no problems. It's a track bike and plenty of bike to dip a toe into racing. And if it ain't your bag, someone will gladly take it off your hands for that fixie life.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:16 PM

I am a serious as a 50+ dude can be I suppose, no Olympic aspersions. I definitely want to try some master level racing. I have be renting a track bike from the velodrome so far and it has been fine but would like my own bike. I will only be looking at track specific bikes.

Old 07-30-2020, 11:18 PM

And I should add that I do have a soft spot for nice steel from the 90s....

Old 07-30-2020, 11:24 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

OP, are you really in Australia?

If not, then I would suggest the bike below. If so, then maybe it's too much trouble getting one shipped all the way there.
(Edit: Either way, I'm sure you've heard of Waterford, and Richard Schwinn.)

Bonus: they're on sale.

https://www.milwaukeebicycleco.com/m..._20834/product

Quote:
Our Cream City is visually sparse and simple, yet brimming with the power and integrity of American-made steel. Made from stiff yet lively True Temper Verus steel by Waterford Precision Cycles, the Cream City features the race-tight and legendary Schwinn Paramount track geometry. To say the least, our track bike embodies a rich history and proven, pinpoint design. No matter if you’re clipping through downtown or streaming around a turn at the velodrome, the Cream City steel track frameset re-establishes the definitive spirit of fixed-gear cycling.

Last edited by Louis; 07-30-2020 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
OP, are you really in Australia?

If not, then I would suggest the bike below. If so, then maybe it's too much trouble getting one shipped all the way there.
(Edit: Either way, I'm sure you've heard of Waterford, and Richard Schwinn.)

Bonus: they're on sale.

https://www.milwaukeebicycleco.com/m..._20834/product

Yes, I am in Australia

Old 07-30-2020, 11:34 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo View Post
Yes, I am in Australia
In that case, I suppose something purchased locally makes more sense.

(Although a few years ago I did ship a frameset to someone in Australia and it wasn't insanely expensive.)
Old 07-30-2020, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo View Post
I am pretty new to track racing and was wondering what the thoughts are on used track bikes? I am considering a used steel track bike from the 90’s, but wondering if something newer would be better possibly aluminium? Help a newbie out!! :-)

Around here used track bikes are usually the way to get a nice bike. Entry level bikes are quite nice if you have a second set of wheels. You'll probably change contact/fit points (saddle, stem, bars, pedals) so you can sort of ignore those.

If you can get an aluminum frame, great. Carbon frame, if it's a reputable brand, great. Steel... not as great.

Get good geometry - very short chainstay, taller BB. If the stays are over 40.5 cm long it's probably not a "true" track bike. BB drop should be minimal. The head tube should look tall for the frame. My 51cm steel frame has a head tube that belongs on a 55.

I started racing track on a straight gauge steel frame from the 80s - I bought it from a guy that bought it from the rep, in maybe 1990. Frame/fork and OMAS headset weighed over 7 pounds. I raced it briefly in 1992 the put it away. In 2009 I bought a take off triple from the local shop, put it on the bike using one chainring, and put together a new rear wheel, and went racing. It was really a mashup of parts. I got some better stuff - basic SRAM track cranks, reasonable bars, etc, but still, it's about as cheap as it gets.

It didn't really hurt me - my lack of track experience made more of a difference. Having raced on the road for a while (25 seasons?) made a huge difference, but the frame didn't fit really well (old track frames tend to be short in length, and I need really long frames) so it wasn't ideal. Performance wise it didn't hurt at my entry level racing.

I decided to get serious and get a "good" track bike. With a new frame (not a custom like my road bikes - I wanted a UCI approved frame), two disc wheels (one a spare), 2 front wheels (spare), some better clincher training wheels, an SRM, 2 sets pedals, 2 saddles, stiffer shoes, aero helmet, and a dedicated CycleOps 300 bike for practicing starts, I budgeted about $5000 for my adventure. The pandemic sort of threw my plans into a tizzy but let's just say I've gotten most of my list, just a couple key areas to figure out (bars mainly, and therefore stems).

My goal is to do short power events, so 500m TT (M50+), flying 200m, sprint, keirin if applicable, scratch, points?.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:58 PM

Check dumpsters and attics for an old Malvern Star. That's what you need.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
If you can get an aluminum frame, great. Carbon frame, if it's a reputable brand, great. Steel... not as great.
Why?
Old 07-31-2020, 12:08 AM

OP you don't say what kind of track racing you're talking, especially the track.

Wooden indoors, concrete outdoors, they're very different beasts. My advice apart from gumtree and FB groups is to let it be known at the velodrome that you're in the market for a bike and see who's got what.

You're unlikely to get ripped, and even if you can't turn up a bike in your size at a fair price you seem to know what you're looking for. All trackies have a truckload of spares and bits and building up a bike isn't hard.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:37 AM

Indoor velodrome on boards