Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-07-2020, 09:53 AM

There is a certain amount of risk inherent in cycling - depending on how and where you ride, it can be more dangerous than riding a motorcycle (less traction, power, control etc.). The parts are small and can be fragile, too. If you aren't comfortable with physical risk, then cycling isn't for you. If you aren't aware of the physical risk - be aware or you will get hurt.

I've had a number of close calls and some relatively fast "single vehicle crashes", but never considered quitting. I know people that have had very serious incidents. It's a physical sport and any physical activity carries with it a small amount of risk - or a large amount.

I mention motorcycles because I actually rode motorcycles before I got into road biking as an adult, and learned very, very quickly that on two wheels, if you aren't focused, you are going to get in trouble. It may not be your fault, but it is your carcass. I've carried those experiences into driving cars and to cycling. Pedestrians, deer, oncoming cyclists and cars can all be dangerous and if you aren't on a closed course for a race, you'd better have your eyes and ears open. I don't believe a large group is intrinsically safer than riding solo. Less chance of getting hit by a car, but a greater chance of something wacky happening with another cyclist.

This comes from one who believes that some amount of physical risk - when taken aware - is useful and important, so your mileage may vary. The sterility of excessive risk avoidance is not for me.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I mention motorcycles because I actually rode motorcycles before I got into road biking as an adult, and learned very, very quickly that on two wheels, if you aren't focused, you are going to get in trouble...
When riding motorcycles I've always assumed that people don't see me...even if they are looking right at me. I treat cycling the same way, always assume motorists don't see me.

In the last few years my time on the road has decreased and time on the trails has increased. As a kid the majority of my riding was trails and dirt roads so it really isn't a big thing to me...more like coming home. I switch up between MTB and cross bikes to keep things fun. I still ride on the road at times but I certainly have noticed an increase in unattentive drivers and close calls...enough so that for the time being I hear the call of gravel more often. Sure trail and gravel riding has it's dangers as well...just a lot fewer 4000+ pounds of metal and plastic barreling down the roads I am riding on.

W.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:12 AM

Everyone has a different threshold for risk perception and tolerance. If it feels wrong to you, you can stop - this isn't your job. If it feels right to you later, or you miss it - pick it back up.

There are many ways to exercise without or in addition to cycling. Cycling all the time with no supplemental weight-bearing or upper body work is probably not great for your general overall fitness.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:26 AM

Got hit three years ago and by bike broke in half. Took a while but I did get back on the road. Although I bought a replacement bike as soon as I got the money back from insurance from property coverage.

I now have two camera with lights as well as Varia to assist. I did promise my wife to not ride on the road in poor lighting condition.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgates66 View Post
There is a certain amount of risk inherent in cycling - depending on how and where you ride, it can be more dangerous than riding a motorcycle (less traction, power, control etc.). The parts are small and can be fragile, too. If you aren't comfortable with physical risk, then cycling isn't for you. If you aren't aware of the physical risk - be aware or you will get hurt.

I've had a number of close calls and some relatively fast "single vehicle crashes", but never considered quitting. I know people that have had very serious incidents. It's a physical sport and any physical activity carries with it a small amount of risk - or a large amount.

I mention motorcycles because I actually rode motorcycles before I got into road biking as an adult, and learned very, very quickly that on two wheels, if you aren't focused, you are going to get in trouble. It may not be your fault, but it is your carcass. I've carried those experiences into driving cars and to cycling. Pedestrians, deer, oncoming cyclists and cars can all be dangerous and if you aren't on a closed course for a race, you'd better have your eyes and ears open. I don't believe a large group is intrinsically safer than riding solo. Less chance of getting hit by a car, but a greater chance of something wacky happening with another cyclist.

This comes from one who believes that some amount of physical risk - when taken aware - is useful and important, so your mileage may vary. The sterility of excessive risk avoidance is not for me.
Very well written response.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:34 AM

Do you know anyone who just quit the sport for no other reason..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
I've never understood the scared of your shadow mentally. Mitigate the risks and drive on.
I don’t think the OP is scared of his shadow and to be clear there is no way to mitigate the risk of being run down from behind by a distracted driver other than removing yourself from the road. No amount of high vis clothing, lights or sounds is going to make you visible to someone who is not looking where they are going.

I do understand that sense of foreboding though. Sometimes when riding solo I hear a car coming from behind and wonder if that’s going to be the one. It’s not a healthy exercise.

I find that I feel safer in groups but since C19 I’m no longer doing large group rides. Gravel and trail rides are about it these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My blog and Instagram
Old 07-07-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Everyone has a different threshold for risk perception and tolerance. If it feels wrong to you, you can stop - this isn't your job. If it feels right to you later, or you miss it - pick it back up.

There are many ways to exercise without or in addition to cycling. Cycling all the time with no supplemental weight-bearing or upper body work is definitely not great for your general overall fitness.
Fixed it
Old 07-07-2020, 10:56 AM

This whole upper body thing is a super weird one.

I've been doing a lot of pushups & pull ups since my lower back has been hurting and cycling was hurting it but pushups/pullups (and squats/lunges with no weight) weren't hurting.

Good progress.. my form on the pushups has gotten a lot better in a month,, keeping my elbows in, etc.. only doing 3x10 or something which is not hard for me

And I'm doing 3x3-4 on the pullups (on rings) which is really really good for me. I was really bad on these.

But my shoulders start pulling back and my back starts losing the "cycling hunch" and now riding a bike feels like the bars need to go up so I can keep my spine more aligned and not hyperextend my shoulders. Even a month or two of upper body work starts doing this.

Cyclist me would say "that's bad, better to have a rounded upper back & shoulders and be more aero!". Normal me would be "that's good, healthy spine/shoulders!"

Last edited by benb; 07-07-2020 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:20 AM

Oh and anytime motorcycles come up...

Don't be too naive about motorcycles vs bicycles.

There is a range of motorcycling behavior and choices that go from safe to very dangerous. The stats mix everyone up together and come up with an average.

The same is true with bicycling...

If you are doing mass-start races and competitive rides you are very likely at the most dangerous end of the spectrum of cycling behavior, don't be disillusioned about that. The group of bicyclists who race & do competitive rides is a teeny teeny tiny sliver of the population of cyclists so they get to hide out among millions of cyclists who are not taking as many risks.

If you're not doing these things you might be quite far towards the safe behavior side of things... and have little to worry about.

I lost most of my interest in motorcycling but I would not be worried about safety going back to it at all compared to my cycling behavior.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
day hikes here in the midatlantic are butt ugly saunas this time of year.
That about sums it up nicely LOOOL.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_moses View Post
I don’t think the OP is scared of his shadow and to be clear there is no way to mitigate the risk of being run down from behind by a distracted driver other than removing yourself from the road. No amount of high vis clothing, lights or sounds is going to make you visible to someone who is not looking where they are going.

I do understand that sense of foreboding though. Sometimes when riding solo I hear a car coming from behind and wonder if that’s going to be the one. It’s not a healthy exercise.

I find that I feel safer in groups but since C19 I’m no longer doing large group rides. Gravel and trail rides are about it these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks. Nope, not scared of my shadow. Orange helmet, LED blinkies, decades of cycling experience. Sterility of excessive risk avoidance? Nope, not there either. And I'm a fan of stats! I understand it's statistically probably more dangerous to drive my car to work...distracted drivers plow into other cars too. But man - you only need to see one friend completely smoked by an 19 year old in her mom's Jeep before you realize how utterly unprotected you are on the road.

So yeah. Group rides offer a level of safety IMO, as do the trails and strada bianca. Stay safe folks.
Old 07-07-2020, 03:15 PM

Group rides don't offer any safety... don't be silly with that. Ride in a group if you feel like it but don't think it's safer.

You are way more likely to get taken out by the other riders on the group ride than you are by a car on a solo ride. Any benefit the groups visibility has is dwarfed by the extra # of incidents that occur with close group riding + the weirdness about how group rides go through intersections.

You want to be super safe you ride alone. If you want to then you can use lights even in the daylight and make sure you have a highly visible helmet & clothes. Skip the Rapha all black outfit with all black helmet and all black socks & shoes.

Not trying to pick on Rapha but that outfit is kind of popular here that last few years. It's good looking but kind of dumb on the road.
Old 07-07-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieburger View Post
Thanks. Nope, not scared of my shadow. Orange helmet, LED blinkies, decades of cycling experience. Sterility of excessive risk avoidance? Nope, not there either. And I'm a fan of stats! I understand it's statistically probably more dangerous to drive my car to work...distracted drivers plow into other cars too. But man - you only need to see one friend completely smoked by an 19 year old in her mom's Jeep before you realize how utterly unprotected you are on the road.

So yeah. Group rides offer a level of safety IMO, as do the trails and strada bianca. Stay safe folks.

Have you ever tried zwift?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Group rides don't offer any safety... don't be silly with that. Ride in a group if you feel like it but don't think it's safer.
It's far safer. You ride with people you know and trust. Plus having folks there who can call 911 if you're unconscious/injured? Safer.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:00 PM
The B!

not sure how we can measure relative safety of riding in a group vs. alone.. ive probably crashed in groups as much or more than riding solo... but ive never been hit by a car in a group or solo.

one of the worst crashes ive ever been in was in a paceline... there was a slow solo rider ahead, he was alerted to riders coming up from behind and ducked into the lane to let us pass, but didnt realize it was a paceline and tried to remerge right into us. he hit me in the No. 3 spot and i went off the road and down an embankment while a couple of other riders splashed out all over and into the road... ill never forget the sound of that dump truck's antilock brakes ARF ARF ARF ARFing back up on the road, wondering how many of my homies were getting smeared along the pavement

nobody got hit, somehow

anyway, theres my story for the day <passes blunt to the left>