Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2020, 08:23 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
What exactly did they do?
The pedal wrench is pretty robust and has 1 purpose.
they just totally destroyed the wrench flats. I'm assuming they tightened when they meant to loosen, but a pedal wrench should be able to handle that. The Park wrenches couldn't. My conclusion is that the wrench is just barely adequate. I know I have ended up hitting a pedal wrench with a hammer because someone over-torqued. No damage to the flats.
Old 07-18-2020, 09:00 AM

They probably didn't know the thread direction on the NDS.

Engineers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
they just totally destroyed the wrench flats. I'm assuming they tightened when they meant to loosen, but a pedal wrench should be able to handle that. The Park wrenches couldn't. My conclusion is that the wrench is just barely adequate. I know I have ended up hitting a pedal wrench with a hammer because someone over-torqued. No damage to the flats.
Old 07-18-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Yikes, don't install with a breaker bar..NO need to make pedals tight, tight, gorilla tight.
+1 on this, I’m pretty sure 99% of people are over tightening pedals. They really don’t need to be very tight at all unless you want to make them impossible to remove later.
Old 07-18-2020, 11:54 AM

finger tight plus a little

has always kept my pedals attached to the bike.
Old 07-18-2020, 01:19 PM

Pedals tighten with use

Pedals get tighter with use due to precession torque. There's a reason that the left pedal is left threaded - if it wasn't, it would have a tendency to loosen with use. Precession torque is also the reason that threads on BSA/ISO right side BB cups are left threaded (and why right side BB cups on Italian BBs, which are right threaded, have a tendency to loosen with use).

So, it as altogether possible that pedals are tighter when you go to remove them then when they were intially installed.

(If you were ever to disassemble a Shimano freehub body, you'd find that the bearing cup that holds it together is also left threaded - so that precession forces don't try to unscrew it as you ride.)
Old 07-18-2020, 01:43 PM

Watch where you stand...my worst bike injury from standing on a “lever” to undue a stuck pedal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
"give me a lever and a place to stand......"

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7E8FDD08-88F4-4D98-A09F-A7DC6B0FE667.jpg (71.2 KB, 31 views)
Old 07-18-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike53x11 View Post
Park tool makes good product, however this would not be a worthwhile investment alone. I would recommend a Pedro's as they have a higher carbon content in their steel making for a stiffer, less malleable tool. They sell it in a handy socket/ratchet group that also has a lot of other helpful tools. See link for details. https://pedros.com/products/tools/ge...it-socket-set/
More carbon does not make stiffer steel. Maybe higher yield/UTS, but definitely not stiffer.

I’ve worked with a lot of mechanics in the last 25 years. The best mechanics always have the most mismatched, cheap tools... Craftsman gets it done... and the worst mechanics have $100k in Snap-on gear but strip out an oil drain plug (true story).