Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2020, 11:52 PM

Not that it matters much now, but my vote would have added another to the sram powerlink tally. I've been using one with my 7700 setup for years and never had a problem.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
That's the Craig Superlink, sold through Lickton's bike shop in suburban Chicago. They were made in 8, 9, and 10-speed versions marked respectively with yellow, pink, and green labels. If you had the incorrect version on your chain, it would very likely cause the skipping issue. I used all three versions over the years with good results.

Greg
Sure would have been nice if they engraved the link with the application.

Anyone here remember the very old "master link" that I think was sold by Lickton's as well? Instead of merely coupling the links together, there was a tiny screw for each pin! I had one, but soon freaked out of concern I'd lose a screw while on a ride and be SOL. Took it off and tossed it.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
...there was a tiny screw for each pin! I had one, but soon freaked out of concern I'd lose a screw while on a ride and be SOL. Took it off and tossed it.
old school half links have exactly that. Never lost one in many years of riding fixed gear.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustychisel View Post
old school half links have exactly that. Never lost one in many years of riding fixed gear.

Izumi Super Tough and many of the other Izumi track chains still use these small screws. I currently have my Super Tough track chain off today along with my back up Izumi Jet Black for a re-waxing.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Sure would have been nice if they engraved the link with the application.
As it turns out, they did. I looked closely at both a 9-speed and a 10-speed Superlink that I had in my parts bins. The 9-speed link had a “2” engraved on the outside of each half of the link. The 10-speed link was engraved on each half with a “3”. I also learned that they made two different models of 10-speed Superlinks. The version with green packaging was for Shimano. The version with blue packaging was for Campagnolo and SRAM.

Greg
Old 07-18-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
As it turns out, they did. ... The version with blue packaging was for Campagnolo and SRAM.

Greg
Yeah; makes sense to me-in a world where 2=9 and 3=10! And what a brilliant idea; color the PACKAGING, which you'll most likely throw away.

I'm still scratching my head at that logic.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:35 PM

Whats the difference between the campagnolo version and the shimano version of the links?? Do they say???
Old 07-18-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Can you not just 86 the master link altogether?
Did I miss the answer to this?
Old 07-18-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Did I miss the answer to this?
I could have sworn when I originally installed the chain that I did not use a master link, a master link came along somewhere afterwards. And, I could have sworn I had the problem when I originally installed the chain, too.

But logically I recognize would not make sense.

Obviously, my intent was to use a master link, therefore I don't want to go back!

But yeah; sounds like removing the master link completely would have solved the problem as well.
Old 07-18-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Whats the difference between the campagnolo version and the shimano version of the links?? Do they say???
The Shimano version is 6.1mm wide. The Campy ultra-narrow version is 5.9-5.95mm wide. Dimensions are listed on the documentation included with the links.

Greg