Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-16-2020, 03:56 PM
Small ring

If that is the worst of it, I think you could easily do that yourself. If you go with the Dremel wire brush Road, make sure you use a brass brush. I would use 2000 grit sandpaper, wet, to start after the brush to clean up the area around the cable guide. I have found that hot gluing a small piece of it to The end of a pencil eraser and spinning works well. Check out some YouTube‘s of guys doing touchups on high end cars.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Not bad at all i would be very happy with that.
I dont even live in the US but always interesting to know, what did that cost u approx if u remember?
It was Chester Cycles. Including the shipping back and forth I believe I spent $350 to 400 US. Worth it to me for this bike. There is a gentleman On Bikeforums , styggno1, who lives in or near Stockholm I believe. He has several really nice vintage bikes and might have some info about local refinishers.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:00 PM
Hrmm

That honestly doesn't look that bad and not a deal breaker. The paint already has some good patina on it so it only adds to the character.

Maybe mask off the area and proceed as others have mentioned and even try some fine steel wool for good coverage and try one of those brass bristle brushes for cleaning gun barrels to get inside the boss.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Ah i looked to fast. Hm so its kind of precision blasting? Is that even easier than to just sand? Wont the media used bounce on the cable stops and potentially richochet over other areas so u would have to mask really well in order to use it on something like this?
I don't think this would be an issue.

Last edited by Gsinill; 07-16-2020 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-18-2020, 11:44 AM
coffee consumer

Quote:
Ah i looked to fast. Hm so its kind of precision blasting? Is that even easier than to just sand? Wont the media used bounce on the cable stops and potentially richochet over other areas so u would have to mask really well in order to use it on something like this?
I'd avoid media blasting simply b/c you're doing such a small area and unless you're really,really, really good, chances are you'll take away too much material or get too much of the top tube. Having done this before, the dremmel with a wire brush gives you a lot more control and precision. Also, gonna be real hard to get inside the cable guide. I really like zmudshark's ideas about using an eraser head, wet sand/dry sand. I wish I had that advice when I did my project.

If you can't find a nail polish to match, can also check with a model shop. Personally I love the decals and the paint scheme...so rad!
Old 07-18-2020, 11:51 AM

With chips, I have used Zmud's 'sandpaper dots' trick, but it is often hard to feather the edge, so I have just used an artists brush and multiple coats to build up inside the chip area...