Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-05-2019, 12:00 PM

OT: Keeping rain gutters clean

Anyone installed something in or on their rain gutters on their home to keep them clean? If so, how does it work?
Old 02-05-2019, 12:07 PM
Randomhead

we had some screens installed, but they weren't installed correctly. I'm going to try Hoover Dam screens, I think. I had previously considered the foam inserts, but I hear those are not that good.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:38 PM

I assume you're trying to avoid having to climb a ladder and slop out nasty leaves. Another option is the shop-vac gutter extension. You may have to tape the seams, but friends say they work quite well.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Anyone installed something in or on their rain gutters on their home to keep them clean? If so, how does it work?

We had a product from GutterGlove installed about 7 years ago. The specific product was a 50 micron stainless cover (they have several products and have changed over time). They have worked perfectly. Our gutters are very high up, so out of my range for DIY cleaning. The installation completely paid for itself in savings on periodic cleanings.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:03 PM

i've tried a few solutions with varying degrees of success.
the snap in screens that go over the top of the gutter works as advertised but install was tedious because you have to work it under each hanger. over time they begin to shift and become visible from the ground making it an eyesore, so i i ended up climbing the ladder anyway, only now i went up every 4 feet or so instead of just by the downspout where leaves accumulated.
i've also used the foam pieces that go into the gutter. far far easier to install. it's advertised as uv stabilized but lasted about one california summer before it began to deteriorate from the sun. removing it was painful because it would just break apart every time i pulled on it.

now i just use a shopvac or leafblower to clear it out ......
Old 02-05-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcarter View Post
We had a product from GutterGlove installed about 7 years ago. The specific product was a 50 micron stainless cover (they have several products and have changed over time). They have worked perfectly. Our gutters are very high up, so out of my range for DIY cleaning. The installation completely paid for itself in savings on periodic cleanings.
i tried a similar metallic screen first actually. didn't last long because the leaves that fall on my roof turn completely flat when wet. they'd flow down to the gutter and then just stay on the screen like wet paper. i had more water flowing over the leaves and cascading down the side of my house than into the gutter. depending on what you're trying to keep out of there this could work for the op, but didn't for me.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:21 PM

Gutter Brushes

I've used these for over 8 years and they work well. Nonetheless, they do require periodic removal (4-5 years) to eliminate mostly tree seeds (think maple) that can accumulate, especially in the roof valleys.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:20 PM

I have the gutter helmet type installed on my house. Going on 3 years and not a single leaf in the gutter. During the heaviest of down pours in Connecticut it will overflow the gutter but 97% of the time works perfect.

Also if going this route, put the foam pieces in the ends to prevent birds going in there to nest. Father in law gave me that pro tip.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:33 PM
hoolered

Regarding cleaning/access, my gutters are at least 15ft+ from the ground. In your experience, how would you access them? Extension ladder? Would you even bother with DIY and let someone else do it? I know for a fact they are clogged and dont dump to a spout, overflows straight to ground. I don't know what it looks like up top, if there's a guard already. I'm considering having a friend fly a drone up to take a look..
Old 02-05-2019, 03:10 PM

keep in mind, with the spout clogged, the gutters are probably full of water. that's a nasty breeding ground for mosquitoes. quick tip. if you do go up, go up near the down spout. once you get that first handful of gunk out the water will rush out and if theres much accumulated stuff 'upstream' it will flow to you so you don't have to chase it down the gutter. just watch your hands. there's sheet metal screws holding all of that stuff together and they protrude into the gutter and spout
Old 02-05-2019, 03:21 PM

OT: Keeping rain gutters clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummus_aquinas View Post
Regarding cleaning/access, my gutters are at least 15ft+ from the ground. In your experience, how would you access them? Extension ladder? Would you even bother with DIY and let someone else do it? I know for a fact they are clogged and dont dump to a spout, overflows straight to ground. I don't know what it looks like up top, if there's a guard already. I'm considering having a friend fly a drone up to take a look..

My house is so high up, I don't even have a ladder long enough to access the second story gutters, nor would I - too dangerous. I've paid people to do it. I put this screen thing in the opening of the downspouts that's shaped like a light bulb with a course mesh. It plugs up but at least the downspouts stay clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by MikeD; 02-05-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:46 AM

I have gutter guards on my house and they work very well.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:25 AM

Maybe it all depends on where you live and what kind of trees (or no tress) you have over your house.

I have tried to use various guards and wire mesh products to keep the leaves and other trash from stopping up the gutters and down spouts. If I cover the gutters with a guard, then they just stop up with oak tree flower stuff and still stop up, but then can't get to it with a blower. And I have installed commercial size gutters and down spouts around the pool area on back of the house. So just gave up and removed the gutters from rest of house. Just put rock in ground (under the mulch) under the various water run off areas to stop wash out on ground.

For around my house.....I don't think there is a good solution......fortunately I have a flat area over patio where I can easily climb up with a blower and blow them out. I did put an additional 3 foot extension on my blower, so I don't have to get close to roof edge while I'm up there.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Maybe it all depends on where you live and what kind of trees (or no tress) you have over your house.

I have tried to use various guards and wire mesh products to keep the leaves and other trash from stopping up the gutters and down spouts. If I cover the gutters with a guard, then they just stop up with oak tree flower stuff and still stop up, but then can't get to it with a blower. And I have installed commercial size gutters and down spouts around the pool area on back of the house. So just gave up and removed the gutters from rest of house. Just put rock in ground (under the mulch) under the various water run off areas to stop wash out on ground.

For around my house.....I don't think there is a good solution......fortunately I have a flat area over patio where I can easily climb up with a blower and blow them out. I did put an additional 3 foot extension on my blower, so I don't have to get close to roof edge while I'm up there.
I have often toyed with that same idea. In the winter the ice and snow causes back ups and in the fall the leaves accumulate (if there were no gutters wouldnt the snow just slide off the roof).
Are gutters really necessary or was it a great marketing ploy?
Old 02-06-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
I have often toyed with that same idea. In the winter the ice and snow causes back ups and in the fall the leaves accumulate (if there were no gutters wouldnt the snow just slide off the roof).

Are gutters really necessary or was it a great marketing ploy?

Gutters are necessary to get water away from the foundation of the house. Mine are plumbed into the yard drainage system, which flows out to the street/storm drain.