Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
I don't doubt you, but that makes no sense. All I can tell you is they are amassing here, at a point of import/export, and there are no crushing scrap yards in the immediate area. Certainly nothing that could easily handle the numbers that are here currently and growing from what I've seen in the last couple of weeks. I have noticed some people and a truck working down the rows of cars, hoods up, doing something.

William
I hear you. I assume that the cars being turned in need to be stored somewhere while they are working on the supposed fix (IMO there will never be a fix)....so maybe they already owned or leased that property. In the end they will have to find space to hold nearly 1/2 million cars and I suspect we will see holding lots all over the place. 500,000 cars take up a lot of space.

dave
Old 04-14-2017, 06:28 PM
cnighbor2

April 14 2017 VW is storing those TDi's

April 14 2017 VW is storing those TDi's
Per article in SF paper VW has stored 138,000 VW TDI's and are waiting to see if they can fix them 2015 are fixable
Old 04-14-2017, 10:01 PM

I was at the dealer today getting a recall done on my 2009 ABS module. The 2015's are very close to being able to get the stage 1 fix which would allow them to be sold. They are holding onto every one of them and expect to get full sticker once they are ready. Times have been beyond tough for the dealers since this debacle. Most buyback customers took the check and moved on. They got very little repeat business. VWAG really screwed up this whole deal.

As for the Gen1/2, I keep seeing truckloads of them heading somewhere. So sad.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:39 AM
powered by red

I also got an advertisement from local VW dealers that the 2015 have been fixed. I might try one, just to see how the fix affects performance.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
I hear you. I assume that the cars being turned in need to be stored somewhere while they are working on the supposed fix (IMO there will never be a fix)....so maybe they already owned or leased that property. In the end they will have to find space to hold nearly 1/2 million cars and I suspect we will see holding lots all over the place. 500,000 cars take up a lot of space.

dave
A lot of temporary fences set up in large fields with a small "security" sheds on blocks away from the lots where the new cars coming in are parked.

William
Old 04-21-2017, 08:59 PM

Well - we stayed on the dark side. After considering nearly every other wagon on the planet and weighing everything we sold out 2013 Jetta TDi back and bought a "new" 2015 Golf Sportwagon TDi. The incentives are huge and even with the fixed version of the 2015 the mileage is still better than most anything else out there.

Financially it panned out very good for us. We bought the 2013 new for $25K, used it for 48,000 miles and sold it back for $24,600. We then bought the new 2015 (which retails for $31,700) for $8500 off making it $23,200. By the time you put in the misc fees and stuff it's a wash money wise and we end up with a frankly much nicer car.

Free use of the old polluting car for all those miles and then a new car for no cash out of pocket.

Now we just need to see how it does with emissions and all that. Our local dealer sold 19 2015 TDi's in 3 days this past week and we got one of the last ones. I'll bet dealers all over the country are very happy to have that lot space finally freed up.

dave
Old 04-21-2017, 09:39 PM

That's a hell of a deal. You were rewarded for your patience.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:34 PM

I saw this Times article today--notes the end of the law suit and the release of some of the "repaired" vehicles with new software (not specified which ones), along with the release of the 2015s...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/21/b...entencing.html
Old 04-22-2017, 03:59 PM

I stopped by my local dealer today to pick up a few parts, and the lot had a bunch of 2015 TDI's with the "Not for Sale" tags taken off. One very sweet looking Sportwagen SEL DSG in particular. The Monroney said 35mpg combined. I wonder if that was changed.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Well - we stayed on the dark side. After considering nearly every other wagon on the planet and weighing everything we sold out 2013 Jetta TDi back and bought a "new" 2015 Golf Sportwagon TDi. The incentives are huge and even with the fixed version of the 2015 the mileage is still better than most anything else out there.

Financially it panned out very good for us. We bought the 2013 new for $25K, used it for 48,000 miles and sold it back for $24,600. We then bought the new 2015 (which retails for $31,700) for $8500 off making it $23,200. By the time you put in the misc fees and stuff it's a wash money wise and we end up with a frankly much nicer car.

Free use of the old polluting car for all those miles and then a new car for no cash out of pocket.

Now we just need to see how it does with emissions and all that. Our local dealer sold 19 2015 TDi's in 3 days this past week and we got one of the last ones. I'll bet dealers all over the country are very happy to have that lot space finally freed up.

dave

How do you buy a new 2015? Did it sit on the dealer's lot for 2 years?
Old 04-22-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
VW dealers were paid to drive them monthly.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:

dave
Thanks for posting this. Same route I would prefer with our Golf TDI. Your post prompted me to visit the local VW dealer this afternoon. Apparently California is two weeks out from making the 2015 TDI vehicles available.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallelfish View Post
Thanks for posting this. Same route I would prefer with our Golf TDI. Your post prompted me to visit the local VW dealer this afternoon. Apparently California is two weeks out from making the 2015 TDI vehicles available.

How do these fixed vehicles perform? Any detrimental effects on performance, reliability, mileage, drivability?
Old 04-22-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Yes....the cars are "new" 2015's that have been sitting since they first hit the dealer's lot. VW has a prescribed storage, monthly maintenance deal and the fluids were changed before I took delivery. Mine had 115 miles on the clock.

dave
Old 04-22-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallelfish View Post
I spoke with a dealer in Salt Lake and they had 40 of them on the lot and they were being prepped for sale.

The demand will be silly high and my dealer has a bit of a waiting list and I just got lucky.

dave

Tags
autoscam, boring threads