Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2017, 05:34 AM

I got my registration rebate check yesterday. Took about 8 weeks.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:20 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
$25150 for 'S' 4-motion with 6 spd MT, no other major options. $22762 after 'deals' and March loyalty rebate.

Quite the step up in feel from my '13 Golf tdi. Love it so far. FWIW, in 40 miles of rush hour, mixed urban and rural driving on the way home, 28 mpg.

Interior is nicer than I expected from the brochure shots. The seats have a high quality weave that is a different color than the rest of the seat fabric... pic doesn't do it justice.
Wow, identical to my GSW, except for mine being DSG..'about' the same $ as well. Really liking mine. My son just bought a 2017 Honda Civic..about the same $ but my VW 'seems' more sophisticated, more refined. YMMV and all that.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
My son just bought a 2017 Honda Civic..about the same $ but my VW 'seems' more sophisticated, more refined. YMMV and all that.
Wife was impressed.

So much so she even talked about trading in her appliance... whoops, I mean Prius...
Old 03-21-2017, 07:55 PM

should be no issue to use Whispbars and bike mounts that work with those.
i did it with the pano roof on my 2014 sportwagen tdi... which is going to be turned in early next month.
As we're not going with another VW, and in fact not a vehicle with similar roof rails, i can no longer use the Whispbar and RockyMounts Pitchfork x2 setup i have.
i'll have it for sale shortly, but shipping would be pretty pricey. anyone in Chicagoland looking for such a setup, shoot me a PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:11 AM

turned in ours last night. pretty painless, 15 min in and out. now just waiting for the money.

if anyone is sticking with it for the modification and is interested in floor mats, i think i have the factory carpet ones, factory rubber ones, and a set of Weathertech floorliners. also roof rack, a set of winter wheels and tires that won't go on the replacement vehicle.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_mutt View Post
hello gents-

does the sunroof affect the utility of a Whisper Bar and euro bike rack?
A short answer is yes. If its a 2017.

The new side rails are so low that it's nearly impossible to use any crossbars except the VW factory ones.

I tried a few different higher-rise options and the issue is the sunroof is so wide that it will collide with the towers on the side when it opens.

But...I believe there is one possible location of the bars where the sunroof "just" misses the towers. You would have to play around with it to get it just right but the Whispbar Rail Bars that were so popular with the Sportwagens (and are now discontinued) are pretty much a no-go in my mind.

Yakima Timberline's with a Jetstream or Thule 450R's are probably your best bet.

Cheers! Those Alltracks are cool cars
Old 04-09-2017, 07:58 PM

not sure if the whispbars interfere on the 2017 models.
it was a bit tricky to get the placement right on a 2013 - i used some thin rubber spacers to gain a couple of mm of clearance, but rarely opened it up anyway. we used the vent function quite often.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavingould View Post
not sure if the whispbars interfere on the 2017 models.

it was a bit tricky to get the placement right on a 2013 - i used some thin rubber spacers to gain a couple of mm of clearance, but rarely opened it up anyway. we used the vent function quite often.

The 2017 side rails are crazy low profile, much lower than 2013's and the sunroof is wider (closer to the rail on the sides). I tried a bunch of options that were much higher than a whispbar and still had issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estilley View Post
The 2017 side rails are crazy low profile, much lower than 2013's and the sunroof is wider (closer to the rail on the sides).
Interesting! we were looking pretty hard at the Audi Allroad, and I think my whispbar setup would have worked on it.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:26 PM

OT: VW cheating emissions on TDI vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavingould View Post
Interesting! we were looking pretty hard at the Audi Allroad, and I think my whispbar setup would have worked on it.

Yeah the Audi's are much more friendly too the whispbar and other low profile crossbars. The sunroof doesn't open quite as high as on the Golf Alltrack and it's also slightly narrower. What did you end up getting in the end? Those Allroads are so cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2017, 12:41 PM
Administrator

I'm noticing that a few thousand used VW's are showing up and being staged in Quonset Point here in RI. New vehicles come in here by the thousands but I guess this will be one of the main points where all the buy back vehicles will be shipped out. I wonder where they are heading? Back to the factory...or to some other country with less stringent emission standard to be sold off and recoup some dollars?

For those that don't know the area, this is the old Sea Bees Navy base that has been turned into a business park.

William
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Q1.jpg (100.1 KB, 68 views)
Old 04-14-2017, 12:42 PM
Administrator

A little closer look...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Q2.jpg (57.2 KB, 67 views)
Old 04-14-2017, 12:59 PM

The EPA rules say that they can only be exported once they have been fixed so that they can meet current EPA standards. This means that unless all these sold-back cars can be fixed that they will go into the crusher and not anywhere else.

Such a waste or materials and labor.

dave
Old 04-14-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
Not to mention all the extra pollution. My understanding from reading an article awhile back is that no effort was expended to see if it crushing all these cars would be better for the environment than just leaving them on the road.

Here's one article which mentions the issue. It's just the first I came across. I'm sure there are others which go into the issue in more depth.

http://autoweek.com/article/vw-diese...te-sheer-waste
Old 04-14-2017, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
The EPA rules say that they can only be exported once they have been fixed so that they can meet current EPA standards. This means that unless all these sold-back cars can be fixed that they will go into the crusher and not anywhere else.

dave
I don't doubt you, but that makes no sense. All I can tell you is they are amassing here, at a point of import/export, and there are no crushing scrap yards in the immediate area. Certainly nothing that could easily handle the numbers that are here currently and growing from what I've seen in the last couple of weeks. I have noticed some people and a truck working down the rows of cars, hoods up, doing something.

William

Tags
autoscam, boring threads