Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2017, 03:45 PM

Build Advice For '85 Merckx Frame

This spring I'm building up a 1985 mint condition orange Merckx frame. It has been professionally refinished and painted, and looks amazing.

From the date code stamp on the bottom we have determined it is a 1985 SLX frame.

Here's the question: I have a beautiful condition first generation complete C Record groupset with non aero / aero brake levers, friction shifting, 32 hole hubs, and all of the great engraved parts too. .... (i'm ducking here).....is it just morally wrong to put this groupset on it, knowing that most first generation parts didn't go on bikes until '86 or so?

I have no idea, and can't find an old 1985 catalog for the Merckx bikes, but know that Super Record parts were made until 1987, and C Record parts sort of came out initially in 1985.

So, having only a few Super Record parts that would work, should I just be patient and put on all Super Record, or just go with a C Record build up that would be Eroica Ok but not "historically build correct"?

Back in the mid 1980's my only experience with C Record was from the pages of Winning and Bicycling Magazine, so my experience from then is limited.

While I mostly ride vintage steel bikes, but have no Eroica experience and no experience in setting up a 100% period correct bike. Thanks for any help!
Old 03-20-2017, 03:58 PM

full c-record would be a very nice build...don't know if it's historically correct or not?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 04:40 PM
Small ring

My wife has a 1985 Merckx Professional, all original.

Campagnolo Record/Super Record, Cinelli VIP bars, Regal Girardi saddle, cast rails. Fiamme Gold label rims w/Vittoria (Made In Italy) tubular tires.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...cf_voPb7pSm_J7
Old 03-20-2017, 04:45 PM

This is a very important question. I'm glad you asked it. I have been preparing an Eroica bike myself and I lay awake nights thinking about these issues.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:53 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post
This is a very important question. I'm glad you asked it. I have been preparing an Eroica bike myself and I lay awake nights thinking about these issues.
You forgot the or , I think

For the OP-Put the C Record group on it, go ride. I have a complete CRecord/Delta group I'm going to put on a Merckx Century..It'll have a 'modern' front der and speedplays..built to ride, tool, not trophy...
Old 03-21-2017, 05:36 AM

I did a resto on an early '80 Merckx, with the full Record/Super Record build. Do yourself a favor; just build it with whatever you have. The C-Record will be just fine. Just ride it.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
You forgot the or , I think

..built to ride, tool, not trophy...
Yea, I couldn't find the emoji for: I recognize a sincere question and the manner in which we sweat the details can be humorous.

Ok, I didn't lay awake but I did spend nights in the garage and reading VeloBase (what a great resource.) In selecting a saddle for my project I had to choose from: a somewhat-faithful repop, a late 70's/early 80's original or a late 80's original. I now have all three options.

Tool or trophy?...and all gradations in between.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:25 AM

Dura Ace 7400 six speed woudl also be perfectly appropriate for that frame. Was introduced in 1984 and certainly considered groundbreaking at the time.

Merckx bikes were also available from the factory with either Campagnolo or Dura Ace groups (and not too much later, Shimano 600 tricolor as well), so it's not like it's going to assplode or anything.

My '83-85 Professional wears DA, works fine. Also have an 85 Corsa in the build queue that will be getting 7400.

But, if for some reason it's gotta be Campagnolo, I'd go for a nice Super Record group. That stuff works great, especially with a couple of the tricks folks have learned about them over the past 35+ years.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
Dura Ace 7400 six speed woudl also be perfectly appropriate for that frame. Was introduced in 1984 and certainly considered groundbreaking at the time.

But, if for some reason it's gotta be Campagnolo, I'd go for a nice Super Record group. That stuff works great, especially with a couple of the tricks folks have learned about them over the past 35+ years.
Since the OP is considering SR, What are these tricks? I'd like to learn them too.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:29 PM

THIS is what you want. Period correct, uber cool. You'd be a popular guy at Eroica!

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=202249
Old 03-21-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
What are these tricks? I'd like to learn them too.
Don't consider myself The SR Whisperer, but have found that using a Shimano 600 or Dura Ace UG freewheel, Shimano or BullsEye jockey wheels, and modern chains, cable and housing will make an SR system shift pretty slick.

Have done this to multiple bikes, all with the same favorable results.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:01 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
Don't consider myself The SR Whisperer, but have found that using a Shimano 600 or Dura Ace UG freewheel, Shimano or BullsEye jockey wheels, and modern chains, cable and housing will make an SR system shift pretty slick.

Have done this to multiple bikes, all with the same favorable results.
What I use and makes shifting quick and clean(With friction C-Record group)..but I wouldn't sully it with shimano pulleys.
I use a 9s Campag or shimano chain too. Better clearance for the fder.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:58 PM

good grief man.....'85 merckx...pantographed c record parts...tease us with some pics why don't ya?

Old 03-20-2017, 07:22 PM

Is there a question in there somewhere? All I see is a gloat.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:40 PM
Small ring

There are two Merckx's in this album, one ~1983, one a 1985. The 83 is the full panto replica, the '85 is the SR bike with some milling, but no panto.

I would save the C-Record for something else, and go SR.

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...gGx9cdkHTaECia