Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM

I find that color considerably worse than all of the other R5 colors, which might have affected the pricing.

At that discount though, it’d be a no brainer to get the frame painted !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2024, 09:21 AM

Campagnolo Rules

Chorus 12 mechanical for the win. I, for sure, do not want electric.

Think Shimano going into crash mode. Ugh.
Old 03-26-2024, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana_e View Post
chorus 12 mechanical for the win. I, for sure, do not want electric.
+1
Old 03-26-2024, 09:58 AM

theres a shop here with a look 765 gravel bike with ekar for half price...nobody wants the campag
Old 03-26-2024, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Come on, do you really believe people don't know Campagnolo?? Over the past dozen years the majority of the 60+ bikes I've passed on have gone to the younger crowd. They almost all unanimously gush, and coo, and generally freak out over the Campagnolo stuff I have. They certainly know the name and the reputation of high-end quality parts. I've never had a single Campagnolo bike being sold locally languish like the Shimano equipped ones.
Not exaggerating. Here in the middle of the country, many who started in the last 5-10 years may have heard, but never seen a Campy bike.
Old 03-26-2024, 10:03 AM

‘Outside of this forum and some microcosms in Boulder and a few similar cities, no one knows of this stuff. You don't see it on bikes. I don't see any advertising.’

There’s this Tadej Pogacar guy. People outside this forum and Boulder might know of him. And that his team bikes are equipped with….
Old 03-26-2024, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galgal View Post
‘Outside of this forum and some microcosms in Boulder and a few similar cities, no one knows of this stuff. You don't see it on bikes. I don't see any advertising.’

There’s this Tadej Pogacar guy. People outside this forum and Boulder might know of him. And that his team bikes are equipped with….

Unfortunately, not Campagnolo (anymore)

Old 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM

I get that Campagnolo isn’t the powerhouse it once was, but it’s still amazing.
I do find that younger cyclists are not familiar with it,but most are aware of it and talk about it as a higher end product that they can’t afford yet. I’ve sold a few campy equipped bikes and almost always it’s someone who had one of the other 2 company’s parts and are excited to get into a Campy equipped bike cheap.

Old 03-26-2024, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinkozmo View Post
theres a shop here with a look 765 gravel bike with ekar for half price...nobody wants the campag

Hey dancinkozmo,

What shop is this at? I might be interested.

Old 03-26-2024, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntb1001 View Post
Unfortunately, not Campagnolo (anymore)

Oops. Thanks!
Old 03-26-2024, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
What team would use a Cervelo R5 with Super Record WRL unless they were sponsored by Campagnolo. Do any of Campagnolo's sponsored team use Cervelo bikes? If it were a team, you might also expect some type of team logos on the bikes. And they probably wouldn't make a full range of sizes from 48 - 58 cm - a men's team might use sizes 52 cm - 58 cm, and a women's team might use 48 cm - 54 cm, but it seems unlikely that any pro team would use the full range of sizes.

As others said, my guess is that these were made up as special editions, but they didn't sell nearly as well as expected, so they're trying to sell dead inventory. There's little money to be made by selling these bikes at such a steep discount, so its not surprising that they won't make component substitutions, as that would reduce Excel's slim margin ever further. (And if you say, "how much time and effort would it be to swap a stem?", any internally cabled bike has extra cost associated with stem swap compared to external cabling.)
It can happen. I was on a uci team that raced cervelo r5 with dura ace. We weren’t sponsored by them, had no logos or custom pint, but the team owner owned the factory that produced the r5.
Old 03-26-2024, 01:38 PM

I don't think it's fair to make sweeping judgements about Campag based on 1 shop putting 1 model of 1 bike on sale. However, Campag certainly has a diminishing customer base, and I don't think their current strategy is terribly coherent or likely to be successful. I may well be wrong.
Old 03-26-2024, 01:40 PM

Massive discounts can be had, regardless of manufacturer. It's a 'good' time to buy bikes and gear.
Old 03-26-2024, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeishmael View Post
I don't think it's fair to make sweeping judgements about Campag based on 1 shop putting 1 model of 1 bike on sale. However, Campag certainly has a diminishing customer base, and I don't think their current strategy is terribly coherent or likely to be successful. I may well be wrong.
Especially since a SR WRL R5 model isn't even a listed model on Cervelo's website. Might just be marketing/sales experiment. Excel is sorta Cervelo's US liquidator and testbed.
Old 03-26-2024, 03:06 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by galgal View Post
even if his bikes were still Campy, would people really know (or care) what drivetrain he is running? I think it's easy to forget what we are, indeed, in a bit of a microcosm here on the forum.. we speak of Campy, Pegs, David Kirks, Hampstens, etc as these ultimate cycling nirvanas (and are for many folks, no shade on any of these names, just examples) and we act like others outside our little bubble will know of or share the same feelings..

sorry to burst your bubble, but I see so many bikes for sale where people have zero idea what they have or how to advertise it (and are/were really nice, high dollar bikes).. IF folks outside our bubble watch professional cycling, I'm not convinced they are keying on the drivetrain unless specifically told..

nothing wrong with Campy and I have no idea why that bike is reduced 50% (but I assume because it's eating floor space for a while), but most folks who buy a bike off the showroom probably really aren't that interested in the details.. at least they weren't when I was selling bikes.. all they wanted to do was pick up the bike to see how much it weighed and then straddle it to see if there was crotch room.. if they decided to buy it, they usually wanted a cushier seat.. for sure I didn't work at an Above Category or Vecchio's, but folks still bought a lot of bikes.. (and I did try and get them on the right size and right bike for them)