Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-11-2021, 11:05 AM

16-year-old driver who killed cyclist was speeding & using social media

I believe that the minimum driving age should be raised to 18. At that time of life, a year or two can make a big difference in maturity.

https://apnews.com/article/media-soc...dce60444f9ab43

Quote:
CORALVILLE, Iowa (AP) — Authorities say a 16-year-old driver who fatally struck a cyclist in Coralville last month was speeding and using social media at the time of the accident.

The incident happened April 6, killing 36-year-old Andrew Pavlovec of North Liberty. The Cedar Rapids Gazette reported Monday that the driver faces a charge of vehicular homicide. Iowa law prevents naming minors charged with crimes that are not forcible felonies.

Coralville Police Chief Shane Kron said the driver was “actively using a social media application,” and driving more than 20 mph above the 35 mph speed limit when she struck Pavlovec from behind.
Driving at 55 mph while using social media? What could possibly go wrong?

Last edited by fiamme red; 05-11-2021 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Really terrible all around.

Lot's of people are literally addicted to social media. It's a huge problem.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:22 AM

I just do not see how phones are not just completely banned from use while driving. The federal government needs to step in a just ban all use of devices while driving. Infuriates me reading these stories.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:29 AM

She will be on probation and repeat the same thing all over again.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:31 AM

This is the reason I quit road cycling. No amount of hi-vis kit or strobe lights will help with the driver's eyes glued to the phone or screen in dash. They may see you eventually, but not always in time. Off road, I can determine the amount of risk I want to take. Not leaving that choice to distracted drivers.

Another sad story. Feel bad for the cyclists family/friends. A needless death for sure.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tornado View Post
This is the reason I quit road cycling. No amount of hi-vis kit or strobe lights will help with the driver's eyes glued to the phone or screen in dash. They may see you eventually, but not always in time. Off road, I can determine the amount of risk I want to take. Not leaving that choice to distracted drivers.

Another sad story. Feel bad for the cyclists family/friends. A needless death for sure.
It is true roadside cycling has its dangers
But it is also true off road can also be dangerous because if something bad enough happens you may not be found for who knows how long.

About the OP I wish they would devise a way for cell/wifi coverage to be cut when phone is moving above 5mph

RIP
Old 05-11-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
I believe that the minimum driving age should be raised to 18. At that time of life, a year or two can make a big difference in maturity.
that won't affect the ridiculous number of 'mature' (ages 18-80) drivers who are using their phone while driving.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
I just do not see how phones are not just completely banned from use while driving. The federal government needs to step in a just ban all use of devices while driving. Infuriates me reading these stories.
The problem is that a ban won't stop people from doing it. In Massachusetts it's already prohibited for drivers under age 18 to be using a cell phone, hands-free or otherwise. They can lose their license if caught. Doesn't stop them in the slightest.

It sucks and it's infuriating to see the number of people driving around with phones in their hands.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tornado View Post
This is the reason I quit road cycling. No amount of hi-vis kit or strobe lights will help with the driver's eyes glued to the phone or screen in dash.(...)
"she struck Pavlovec from behind."

Struck from behind. That's all you see in bike-car accidents now: a plainly visible cyclist was mowed down from behind by a car that strayed onto the shoulder, because the driver wasn't looking at the road.

Last edited by dgauthier; 05-11-2021 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying View Post
About the OP I wish they would devise a way for cell/wifi coverage to be cut when phone is moving above 5mph
What about passengers in cars, buses, and trains? You can't ban them from using their mobile devices.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
My phone can turn on my house lights when I get close. It knows where I am.
My phone can tell me if I'm speeding. It knows how fast I'm going.
My phone can send someone a message when I start driving over with an ETA. It knows where traffic is.
But for some reason, my phone can't disable certain apps when it senses movement over 10mph? It can't disable keyboard input when it is moving over 10mph?
Why do I doubt that? It should be mandatory on all phones, all makes. Disabling the feature should disable cell service.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
What about passengers in cars, buses, and trains? You can't ban them from using their mobile devices.
Why not? People survived years without them.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
(...) for some reason, my phone can't disable certain apps when it senses movement over 10mph? It can't disable keyboard input when it is moving over 10mph?
Why do I doubt that? It should be mandatory on all phones, all makes. Disabling the feature should disable cell service.
I do that all the time. It's called "Do Not Disturb While Driving", and I have it set to turn on automatically.

The only problem is it's voluntary. It should be imposed, absolutely.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:50 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
My phone can turn on my house lights when I get close. It knows where I am.
My phone can tell me if I'm speeding. It knows how fast I'm going.
My phone can send someone a message when I start driving over with an ETA. It knows where traffic is.
But for some reason, my phone can't disable certain apps when it senses movement over 10mph? It can't disable keyboard input when it is moving over 10mph?
This is the best idea I read on this topic.....

Disable web browsing, email, texting....only apps allowed are navigation, and keyboard is locked when moving.....

Regarding driving age to 18....too many parents will cry "hardship" if they have to shuttle their kids around for an extra two years.....

I think the problems are the penalties and liability....there is currently not really a downside to hitting someone with a car cuz it was an "accident"....you know, unavoidable, not really anyone's fault.

Oh, and bikes need to really stop hitting cars.....that would help too. "Bike accidents" are a real problem.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:59 AM

Ugh man what a heartbreaking, and totally preventable tragedy.

The big tech firms would NEVER allow phones to be disabled while driving. Which is unfortunate because the problem is only going to get worse. The new thing I've seen lately is people FaceTiming while driving. WHAT ?!?!

Plus if you go to Instagram or Facebook, you'll see hundreds if not thousands of examples of people recording themselves and talking WHILE driving.

We live in such a self consumed, self absorbed world. It's really sad.