Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-11-2021, 07:46 PM

Well....I've been downsizing my collection over the last 6-8 months and while I never make anything on the bikes I am doing better on the sales than in the past.

I've actually moved around 20 bikes since last fall and will most likely sell another one tomorrow.

I'm the guy that spends way too much refurbishing and upgrading old steel bikes and while it's never been about the money it's sort of nice to be getting at least half of what I put into the bikes.

Case in point is the one a buyer is supposed to come look at tomorrow. I put over $1400 in parts on it plus the cost of the frameset itself. All the parts are new except for the main groupset which was used but mint. Less than 250 miles on it since it was built back up. It's listed at $1000 and it will sell for that.

Now the De Rosa was a $400 used frameset, I put $2350 in all new parts for it and only got $1600 for it.

All the good stuff I have left is probably worth more broken up and sold as parts but since I'm not about the money I won't do that. I do try my best to "screen" buyers after having one flipper fool me. Gave him a good deal because he was "getting back into biking" only to see the bike stripped of all the good parts for sale a week later.

I should point out that I am just selling local using the classifieds. I could do better if I posted to the bike forums I'm sure. But I don't want to ship and I love seeing the smiles on the faces of the new owners.

Last edited by jamesdak; 05-11-2021 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:53 PM
That guy..

Think I could get covid pricing on this? Haha. Mid move. Found this in my bike room.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2021, 08:01 PM

Of course, COVID or not some just ain't gonna sell locally. Like this beauty I put up for sale after a separated shoulder in a wreck on another bike. Now things just pop in the shoulder when I try to get aero on this.Yet this was so cool to ride, fast, and not uncomfortable like everyone thinks.

But yeah, two years on the local market and I've still got it for some reason, LOL!

Old 05-11-2021, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post

Now the De Rosa was a $400 used frameset, I put $2350 in all new parts for it and only got $1600 for it.
Once my C-40 sells, the Mica white DeRosa Primato with alloy Chorusnmight be next. But I’m gonna charge a pretty penny for that one if I decide to sell. I had a guy wanting it so bad at $2500. I think I’d try to get $3500! LOL
Old 05-11-2021, 11:22 PM

26ers selling?!!

Hey, maybe my mint Rigormootis 26er is worth something now!!! I've been getting the bug to get a nice 29er but I knew I'd get virtually nothing for my Moots. Maybe now's the time to throw it out there. Kidding aside, I'm sure some stuff just won't fetch much, even with the crazy market right now. And, I'd likely not be able to find a 29er anyway. Or I'd have to mortgage the house to get one!