Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-11-2021, 07:13 AM

I'm trying starlink out at home. I don't have a good spot to locate the dish so far, but the 40% of the time I have signal, it's amazing. It's 20ms ping times and 200MB down 50MB up
Old 05-11-2021, 07:35 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
I am the one complaining and I do use those services. The vast vast majority of satellites are in high or geostationary orbits. Starlink is a huge constellation in a lower orbit and are highly visible after sunset and before sunrise. It’s not always an all or nothing position, things are nuanced.
So yer upset by a thing in the sky that looks like a star or planet, but is moving?
But the billions of visible stars and planets..they are OK?

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 05-11-2021 at 07:40 AM.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:56 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
So yer upset by a thing in the sky that looks like a star or planet, but is moving?
But the billions of visible stars and planets..they are OK?
I am not losing any sleep over this. I am not opposed to the sats. I use GPS, and have a sat phone. I truly appreciate having nav and comms in remote places. It is a modern wonder. I watch the sky and usually look for the ISS at night when I let my dog out for his before bed pee. I was just lamenting the loss of the uninterrupted sky by moving human made objects. If I was an astronomer I would probably be more upset due to the disruption of my observational research. Law of unintended consequences and all that. On my scale of upset....maybe a 1.3/10.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
I am not losing any sleep over this. I am not opposed to the sats. I use GPS, and have a sat phone. I truly appreciate having nav and comms in remote places. It is a modern wonder. I watch the sky and usually look for the ISS at night when I let my dog out for his before bed pee. I was just lamenting the loss of the uninterrupted sky by moving human made objects. If I was an astronomer I would probably be more upset due to the disruption of my observational research. Law of unintended consequences and all that. On my scale of upset....maybe a 1.3/10.
Again...the thing we are talking about is temporary. These Starlink satellites are on their way to their final orbit where they won't look like a bright train of dots all in a line.
Old 05-11-2021, 02:43 PM

The Starlink satellites and similar low Earth constellations do pose an increasingly serious problem for astronomical observations from the ground. This article makes a good case that international coordination is urgently needed:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41550-020-01238-3

It will be challenging on many fronts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecherrypie View Post
Again...the thing we are talking about is temporary. These Starlink satellites are on their way to their final orbit where they won't look like a bright train of dots all in a line.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJones View Post
Kinda Cool and kind of creepy all at the same time.

Who woulda thought there are 1,500 of them up there.
Just the beginning, the plan is for 12,000 at full deployment, more than doubling the amount of all human-made objects currently in orbit.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grawk View Post
I'm trying starlink out at home. I don't have a good spot to locate the dish so far, but the 40% of the time I have signal, it's amazing. It's 20ms ping times and 200MB down 50MB up
That’s a crazy speed. We really don’t need Internet that fast and it’s $100/mo?!?!
Old 05-11-2021, 03:35 PM

Oh Starlink is amazing, not gonna push back on that. I live in a metro area and I'm thinking about getting it.

That said it's a disaster for astronomers, casual and pro. Musky met with some astronomers and said they would look into painting them darker, but good luck with that, all the really dark stuff is carbon nanotube based, so it sucks for EM permissibility.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:54 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecherrypie View Post
That is good to know. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbc View Post
The Starlink satellites and similar low Earth constellations do pose an increasingly serious problem for astronomical observations from the ground. This article makes a good case that international coordination is urgently needed:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41550-020-01238-3

It will be challenging on many fronts.
This goes back to my position on the law of unintended consequences.

Last edited by Black Dog; 05-11-2021 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:14 PM

I live in a rural area and have Starlink. My only option was a dish that maxed out at 13Mbs. With Starlink, I get 175Mbs download, 65Mbs upload, and 20msec. I live in an area with no artificial light and have an incredible view of the night sky. I sit outside every night and look at the Milky Way. I can only see the satellites if I look at a certain portion of the sky and even then, there are so many stars that greatly outshine them.