Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
What I can’t hear you roll the windows up!!!!??
HA.........good one. This made me lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur Toast View Post
Switched from BFG KM2 to Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX and never looked back. The STT PRO might be a lil' much though.
I've heard really good things about the S/T MAXX tires. Overall I have no complaints from my Coopers. They've been super durable and don't have any big gouges or cuts. I've been airing down to around 12 but might try single digits on my next run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
I had Toyo Open Country MT 35's on mine, which were great rock tires but at over 115lbs per corner, not the best dynamic overall tires for me.
Good grief that's heavy for 35. Mine are 37's and I don't even think they're that heavy........
Old 06-03-2020, 11:44 AM
VAV

This seem to be a good starting point and I don't feel like starting a new thread but what do you guys think of the 4runner. I have an irrational lust for one and I have been looking at the 5th generation trail (2011-2015) My current ride is an 07 Corolla with 130k miles and my daily driving is 16 miles round trip to a commuter parking lot to catch a train so gas is not really a concern. We usually drive my wife's CRV for weekends and other family outings.

Example: https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/JTEBU5JR0F5203890

I have been tempted to go and trade in my corolla and be done with it but my rational side keeps telling me i don't need to. :-)
Old 06-03-2020, 11:48 AM

I've never had to air down with these tires so far... lol... but I don't do rock crawling. Even in the deep washes in AZ it just went although I did turn the center diff lock on

This was right after I broke an exhaust hanger on a big rock.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:48 AM

Love 4runners, but the newer gen is just too humongous IMO. My friend got a new one last year, it looked like my old XJ could fit inside it.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vav View Post
This seem to be a good starting point and I don't feel like starting a new thread but what do you guys think of the 4runner. I have an irrational lust for one and I have been looking at the 5th generation trail (2011-2015) My current ride is an 07 Corolla with 130k miles and my daily driving is 16 miles round trip to a commuter parking lot to catch a train so gas is not really a concern. We usually drive my wife's CRV for weekends and other family outings.

I have been tempted to go and trade in my corolla and be done with it but my rational side keeps telling me i don't need to. :-)
They are good, YOLO
Old 06-03-2020, 11:51 AM
DELETE ACCNT

e-rated 10 ply tires. They were around 85lbs for just the tire alone. Good tire though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post

Good grief that's heavy for 35. Mine are 37's and I don't even think they're that heavy........
Old 06-03-2020, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
In 1994 my buddy and I drove his ‘72 Landcruiser from San Francisco to Moscow, Idaho to see his brother graduate college. We camped out along Smith River, boonies in Central Oregon, Columbia River. We wore earplugs on the freeway sections. Somewhere along the Columbia River, I think The Dalles, a part of the clutch fell off but we were able to reattach and drive on. The gas gauge didn’t work so at fill ups, we’d write the mileage on the window in grease pencil. I’ll never forget that trip.
Lol, reminds of a trip the future Mrs. William and I took in my 40 from central Oregon to Lake Chelan (up lake from Chelan) to spend one Christmas with family. We had left very early in the morning to try and get to our destination early in the day. Somewhere between Longview and Castle Rock the return spring on the carburetor broke/popped off and was gone. As soon as I tried to slow down the motor obviously kept racing. Pulled off the hi way and manually brought the idle down. I had nothing in my tool box to McGuyver it and it was still too early for most places to be open. Driving a manual when the engine rpm won't go down to shift is a lot of fun (insert sarcasm). Buy the time we hit Olympia things were opening up so we're driving around looking for an auto parts store, engine racing
lurching through stop lights until we found one. Bought some springs (one for the fix, the rest into the McGuyver box) and we were good to go the rest of the trip.

We heard it was snowing on the passes and decided to go up over Steven's instead of Snoqalmie and Blewett. We stopped in Bellevue to get some chains for the rig just in case and continued on. We hit snow going up over Steven's pass but had no issues at all getting up and over and didn't need the chains. It was a fun and interesting ride and even though the 40 beat you up over such a long ride we did many others.

W.

Salton Sea, what a weird place

Quote:

Go for it! You might be surprised how much enjoyable that 16 mile round trip might become. I was never a car guy and went from a prius to a 19 year old 100 series LC. Besides all the camping and offroad trips on it, I love driving it around town. It isn't zippy but it has that solid feel of a truck which is very nice especially compared to a car lacking any personality.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:54 AM
DELETE ACCNT

4Runner has been dimensionally the same, running the same platform since 2003.

old XJ's are tiny. I think they are more size comparable with the Rav4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh View Post
Love 4runners, but the newer gen is just too humongous IMO. My friend got a new one last year, it looked like my old XJ could fit inside it.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:55 AM
VAV

Damn, 2 people already telling me to go for it I should've known better about asking here around these bunch of enablers
Old 06-03-2020, 11:56 AM

For XMAS we drove to WA then back. I put on some "street tires" though... Camped in the redwoods and drove along the coast:

Old 06-03-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Damn, 2 people already telling me to go for it I should've known better about asking here around these bunch of enablers
Get it and take it on a trip to a state park or something. You will 100% be glad you did!
Old 06-03-2020, 12:01 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
For XMAS we drove to WA then back. I put on some "street tires" though...
Old 06-03-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
e-rated 10 ply tires. They were around 85lbs for just the tire alone. Good tire though.
ahhh..........yeah that makes sense. Mine are d-rated