Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-05-2020, 03:21 PM

more tool talk

i have a set of the colored wiha allens that i really like and was looking for a good set of regular flat and philips drivers to keep at my bench. question is if there's any reason not to get insulated screwdrivers. i know they're intended for electrical work, of which i do very little. but if i'm going to buy one 'good' set for everything, is there any downside? the only thing i can maybe thing of is they look to have a larger diameter shaft relative to the head which may make it a tight fit in some uses.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:23 PM

oh, and i won't be able to use a magnetic holder..
Old 07-05-2020, 04:01 PM
Small ring

Not sure what your needs are, but look into JIS screwdrivers if that niche fits. Other than that, I never regretted getting a Klein. I'm sure there better, but I have no idea.

Back in the old days I apprenticed with an old wood worker, he said buy a tool once.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:15 PM

I still use the Craftsman Tools I bought in 1964. Screwdrivers still good, and they have had a lot of use. The tool box they were in, as part of a so called complete set, is now kinda rusty though. Those were pretty good tools then. Maybe not the best, but pretty good.

A little more OT.....agreed to pay $10 a month for them. Few months later got a B & W TV...payment stayed $10/month. Bought a washer and dryer....payment went to $16 per month. Got a new suit....payment went to $18 per month.

At my meager income those days....Took me a long time to get owning Sears out of my life. LOL Sorry for the drift....your post brought back some memories of a long time ago.

Last edited by Ralph; 07-05-2020 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:17 PM

I worked as an electrician for 35 years and never owned an insulated screwdriver. If I was worried, a wrap of Scotch 33+ sufficed.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:18 PM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
i have a set of the colored wiha allens that i really like and was looking for a good set of regular flat and philips drivers to keep at my bench. question is if there's any reason not to get insulated screwdrivers. i know they're intended for electrical work, of which i do very little. but if i'm going to buy one 'good' set for everything, is there any downside? the only thing i can maybe thing of is they look to have a larger diameter shaft relative to the head which may make it a tight fit in some uses.
I bought this set of WERA insulated screwdrivers for use in my bicycle maintenance back in 2017. They’ve seen a ton of use without skipping a beat. Their best attribute is they fit very securely in their respective fasteners and don’t try to cam out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F58647A0-9B28-4C58-A5EE-31CE0C09902A.jpg (64.5 KB, 263 views)
Old 07-05-2020, 07:07 PM
Picshooter

Ralph,

Do those C-man screwdrivers give off the famous "Craftsman scent"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
I still use the Craftsman Tools I bought in 1964. Screwdrivers still good, and they have had a lot of use. The tool box they were in, as part of a so called complete set, is now kinda rusty though. Those were pretty good tools then. Maybe not the best, but pretty good.

A little more OT.....agreed to pay $10 a month for them. Few months later got a B & W TV...payment stayed $10/month. Bought a washer and dryer....payment went to $16 per month. Got a new suit....payment went to $18 per month.

At my meager income those days....Took me a long time to get owning Sears out of my life. LOL Sorry for the drift....your post brought back some memories of a long time ago.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:33 PM

Googled jis and see japanese industry standard screwdrivers. Didnt even know that existed. Aren't all philips just philips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
Not sure what your needs are, but look into JIS screwdrivers if that niche fits. Other than that, I never regretted getting a Klein. I'm sure there better, but I have no idea.

Back in the old days I apprenticed with an old wood worker, he said buy a tool once.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
Googled jis and see japanese industry standard screwdrivers. Didnt even know that existed. Aren't all philips just philips?
Hi Lo adjustments and B Screws on Shimano derailleurs are JIS.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:07 PM

I prefer wood handles for everything non-electrical.
Just got my second set of these for my "bike shop":

Fairly reasonably priced too IMHO.
http://www.kctoolco.com/felo-22155-w...-set-5-pieces/
Old 07-05-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
I prefer wood handles for everything non-electrical.
Just got my second set of these for my "bike shop":

Fairly reasonably priced too IMHO.
http://www.kctoolco.com/felo-22155-w...-set-5-pieces/
KC tools had these on sale a couple years ago and I picked them up. They are excellent and durable.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rePhil View Post
Ralph,

Do those C-man screwdrivers give off the famous "Craftsman scent"?
You're talking about that odor that the handles give off? That smell is so weird; what is it?
Old 07-06-2020, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post
You're talking about that odor that the handles give off? That smell is so weird; what is it?
maybe im thinking of the same as well? old tool handles? smells like vomit. I still cant figure out how to get rid of the smell in my grandpas old toolbox.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
maybe im thinking of the same as well? old tool handles? smells like vomit. I still cant figure out how to get rid of the smell in my grandpas old toolbox.
So true.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
So true.
Actually, really funny story about this that I just remembered.

Shortly after my grandpa gave me his tool box, i brought it up to my boston apartment that i shared with friends. Shortly after, we had a really big party. Like a real sh*t show.

A couple days later, I open the toolbox for the first time and get a huge whiff. I right away go straight to "SOMEONE ACTUALLY PUKED IN MY TOOLBOX AND CLEANED IT UP REALLY WELL"

I disinfected everything and it was still there. Then i found out about those old plastic handles..