Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-05-2020, 04:24 PM

This thread inspired me to do 10K of climbing to today. It was too hot and I was going through water bottles fast (not too keen on refilling bottles from public sources). I ended on with a little over 4K.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:20 PM

We're in Franconia NH right now, staying for a month, and 1000' per 10 miles seems to be the norm. Man, there's some nice riding here and a fair amount of dirt.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
This thread inspired me to do 10K of climbing to today. It was too hot and I was going through water bottles fast (not too keen on refilling bottles from public sources). I ended on with a little over 4K.
Ha ha, it inspired me to do as much climbing in two hours as I could, leaving from my front door and not just riding the same climb over and over again..

I got 3100 ft. in 23.4 mi and 1:54 ride time. And around 4mi of that were flat transfer miles to/from the hills.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:27 PM

I miss hills.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:28 AM

Today.road repeats on my favorite local climb in the headlands Marin
About 25 miles
Cheers to All
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5D21BAE2-7E54-43D9-8776-774D357867CE.jpg (40.4 KB, 138 views)
Old 07-06-2020, 04:06 AM

I just moved to a 100'/mile area.

For me, I would say it's hard riding, especially when there's no alternatives, ie every ride is a tough one...

My preferred route at this point, since I basically live half way up a giant hill, is to take a left out of my driveway...despite there being one down hill, the first 1.5 miles requires 400' of climbing.

Tough opener....

The 30 mile route I've been doing is 3,400' of climbing when all done.

SPP
Old 07-06-2020, 05:58 PM

This ratio is what we call the 'golden ratio' in my riding group and it's what we aim for with most rides we do. Coming close most of the time for long weekend rides.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:06 PM
Administrator

I believe that ration of miles/feet is challenging for almost anyone.

here on the east coast, i can definitely find areas, and have recently ridden in areas where that ratio is what you get and it's hard.

the issue is the old visualization of the match book. if you're out to do 100 miles, every massive climb you tick off burns another match, and you just might not have enough matches in the book when the last climb comes at mile 85.

these can be hard lessons to learn. if you know what i mean, you know what i mean.

lol
Old 07-06-2020, 06:28 PM

Less than 1000' per 10 miles, but I am riding this on Wednesday - out and back for maximum fun.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/501996910
Old 07-06-2020, 08:09 PM

There's a climb near the old Serotta factory that I used to do way back in the day called 'Lake Desolation' and it's a 5 mile climb with 1000' vertical. It's tough but doable.

Way back then a few friends and I thought it a good idea to do that climb/descent 10 times to give 100 miles total with 10,000' of vertical. How hard could that be?

We set out to do it and the day was a bit too hot and a lot too windy for comfort and we made 7 trips up that damn hill before we pulled the plug. The hard part was the boredom of seeing the same stretch of road and knowing how much the steep pats were going to hurt.

It seemed like a great idea but you needed to be stupid, fit and in your 20's to pull it off and i was all of those things and it still didn't work!

dave
Old 07-06-2020, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
There's a climb near the old Serotta factory that I used to do way back in the day called 'Lake Desolation' and it's a 5 mile climb with 1000' vertical. It's tough but doable.

Way back then a few friends and I thought it a good idea to do that climb/descent 10 times to give 100 miles total with 10,000' of vertical. How hard could that be?

We set out to do it and the day was a bit too hot and a lot too windy for comfort and we made 7 trips up that damn hill before we pulled the plug. The hard part was the boredom of seeing the same stretch of road and knowing how much the steep pats were going to hurt.

It seemed like a great idea but you needed to be stupid, fit and in your 20's to pull it off and i was all of those things and it still didn't work!

dave
i bet your low gear back then was something like 39/23 too eh? maybe not even?
Old 07-07-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i bet your low gear back then was something like 39/23 too eh? maybe not even?
It was for sure a 42 up front.....probably a 21 in the rear because I was in my 20's and stupid/stubborn.

It's amazing how much lower gearing has become over time.

dave
Old 07-07-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post

dave
Dave, Ha, funny you bring that up! I just did the Lake D 100 two weeks ago solo. I had been taking about doing it for years after I heard someone mention the idea. Decided on a ride that I would do it the next day. Wasn't until the 5th time up that I felt like I would pull it off. 8th and 9th lap was tough. Fun to hear the idea goes back to the 90's

https://www.strava.com/activities/3650274321
Old 07-07-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiec View Post
Dave, Ha, funny you bring that up! I just did the Lake D 100 two weeks ago solo. I had been taking about doing it for years after I heard someone mention the idea. Decided on a ride that I would do it the next day. Wasn't until the 5th time up that I felt like I would pull it off. 8th and 9th lap was tough. Fun to hear the idea goes back to the 90's

https://www.strava.com/activities/3650274321
very cool - good on you for making it happen!

dave
Old 07-07-2020, 10:33 AM

The density of the hills can determine the effort, for sure. I did a 52 mile ride last Saturday with only 3200' of climbing, but nearly all of the vertical was between miles 13-28. Then I got the pleasure of glorious downhill................to be destroyed by about 15 miles of headwind back. So......vertical can be deceiving, regardless of the distance.