Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-07-2019, 02:49 PM

I've carried a Lezyne Road Drive for years with 700x23s. Small, compact,works well. Will def get you home, but it will reliably get you ~70 psi and only more with some real freakin effort. That works for me, but it will not come close to the 120 psi that it was specced at when 1st bought it.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:19 PM

I have a Lezyne Road Drive on one bike and a Bontrager Air Support HP Pro S on my other bike. I've used the Road Drive with tires from 28c->38c with pressures ranging from 35-70psi. The Bontrager is on a bike that has pretty much only had 26c tires and that has had to deal with pressures from 65-90psi.

Both of these have an extendable hose so you're not putting major stress on the valve stem. I have broken a valve stem on the side of the road before with a mini-pump that didn't have a hose.

Overall I like the Bontrager a bit better, it's less fiddly getting it on and off and a bit smoother when pumping. However the rubber cap on the Bontrager is more likely to pop off. No big deal but I find it coming loose more often.

Another great mini-pump is the Barbieri Carbone. That does not have a hose on it so you have to be careful to not stress the valve stem. But it's an incredibly light pump that actually works really well. I used to use the Carbone back in the day when I ran 23c tires and ran between 110-120psi and it did a really great job with the higher pressures.

I've got a Topeak or a Blackburn on my MTB.. not much to right home about on that one. But it gets the job done, I only need that pump to work to 20-30psi.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:42 PM
aka RAEKWON

I have a lezyne road drive and its definitely adequate for a road tire. Probably one of the best ones out there.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:59 PM
50 bpm

I've used a Bontrager Air Rush for years. It's a meh mini pump but you can use C02 with it and then top off. Best of both worlds, sort of.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Another great mini-pump is the Barbieri Carbone. That does not have a hose on it so you have to be careful to not stress the valve stem. But it's an incredibly light pump that actually works really well. I used to use the Carbone back in the day when I ran 23c tires and ran between 110-120psi and it did a really great job with the higher pressures.
I used to have that one, for years. It was indeed excellent, and worked very well for over 10 years, easily reached 110psi on 23s. The point benb made about the rigidity of the head is very valid. It was awkward/a bit difficult to position at times. But, a very good mini-pump.

Now I also use a Silca Tattico, mainly because of the hose. It is also very good, very efficient. But, larger than the Barbieri by a bit.

Those are the only two mini-pumps I have ever tried, and I like both better than the Innovations CO2 thing I have.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:57 PM

MiniFumpa pump - fantastic solution

https://www.fumpapumps.com/
Old 07-05-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
MiniFumpa pump - fantastic solution

https://www.fumpapumps.com/
It’s amazing that a functional air compressor can be that small. Has it proven reliable?

For those of you that have experienced valve damage, are you using lightweight tubes? I’ve never had any issue. mid-depth double wall rims seem to do a fine job at supporting the valve. I usually do take my time. As a bonus, it also reduces heat which seems to kill mini pumps.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:35 PM

You don't need much pressure to get you home....or back to car.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
You don't need much pressure to get you home....or back to car.
Agreed. My old specialized pumps have treated me very well. Simple and reliable. No issues getting enough pressure to make it home.

I just saw an online “review” for that compressor and searched PL to see if anyone was using out of pure curiosity.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 07-05-2020 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:46 PM

One issue with the Lezyne and ones that screw on can be pulling out the valve stems when you unscrew it. I’ve been using cartridges for a while since I rarely use them and had been just doing paved road riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Rider View Post
One issue with the Lezyne and ones that screw on can be pulling out the valve stems when you unscrew it. I’ve been using cartridges for a while since I rarely use them and had been just doing paved road riding.

some tire levers have valve core removers (or tighteners in this case) but i have experience what youre talking about with lezyne. Its been mitigated with said levers
Old 07-05-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
some tire levers have valve core removers (or tighteners in this case) but i have experience what youre talking about with lezyne. Its been mitigated with said levers

This was a problem today even with a core tightener. It was overall part of a comedy of errors on someone else’s bike: sealant dried up; uncooperative valve core; and my tube not working in a tire that was pretty big. It was better to be the person trying to help than the one needing it.

Old 07-06-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
I've got a Silca Premio seat roll that has a tube, patches/glue, glueless patches and two CO2 cartridges. I use a Blackburn Airstik SL to pre-inflate the tube (I was never good at blowing up balloons and even worse at blowing up a tube with my mouth.)

I got to thinking maybe a newer mini-pump could stand alone in case I gaffe both CO2. So I tried a few. I know people have and love these mini-pumps but they just didn't work for me.

Garage tested sitting on a stool with a C15 shamal and open pave 700x24. I was hoping one of these could hit 90 psi. Below are the max psi I could get in lab conditions after considerable effort

1) silca pocket impero. 65psi. I had my hand over the valve and the rim yet I still managed to tear the valve/tube interface even though I was careful trying not to.
2) blackburn core slim (new for 2019) 80psi
3) lezyne road drive small 70psi
4) lezyne road drive medium 75psi

What's puzzling to me is these advertise over 100psi capability but I am getting no where near that. and for sure if I am in the field in the rain on the side of the road I get less than what I get in my garage.

I dont want to carry a full size frame pump so I'm back to CO2 and my cell phone.
I can understand the need to max pressure in a short amount of time in a race ride , but I guess I don't understand the need to get 100 lbs. if it would only be used infrequently to back up C02s on training or rec rides. That's how I used to use mine, but now I just skip the CO2s, and on the occasional flat, 60 lbs is plenty good to get me home. 150 pumps with my old Blackburn will get me that with 23s.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stien View Post
i'd rather ride 10psi low than have my co2 blow out by accident somewhere.
agree 100%