Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-05-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachetetm View Post
I would not call it "downgrade" either. I think they rationalized their line-up. It didn't make any sense before, the difference between SR and Chorus was minimal and some people was thinking about Chorus as a third-tier groupset. I would have gone full aluminum, leave CF for Record and SR.
I think they nailed it. A lot of pros to carbon cranks and there is probably cost savings using the composite pivots from R and SR.

Rumor on another forum is that Potenza will be replaced with a premium “classic” alloy offering. Possibly 11 speed ultra shift to keep differentiation with the other groups. who knows what will come of it. The idea of alloy ultrashift, Athena UT cranks, and 10spd era record d brakes all branded to match would get me excited. Using the Athena name makes sense. It would also make sense to update centaur to a subcompact. It could be the full alloy variant to chorus. this would give them two road groups, two all road groups, a classic group and whatever the 1x group ends up being. Just rumors obviously.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:38 PM

When Chorus 12 was first announced, having aluminum shift levers, there was a lot of whining from folks who said they'd buy record levers, with the rest Chorus. When I found the group for $1060 from a USA source, I bought one full group, tried it out for a week and then bought another so both of my bikes were identically equipped and sold off all of my 11 speed parts. Those old parts held their value quite well.

I like a good value, but I'm not into vintage bikes, so a bright finished aluminum group holds no interest for me.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:43 PM

Im sorta of biased here since i wouldent mind buying your frame but i have to say even if i put that aside that i dont think 12s campy on your moots would be an upgrade and would perhaps even look slightly out of place with your reynolds fork and older style moots. But thats just from a visual perspective ofc but honestly there is little gains to be had performance wise from 10 - 11 and even less to 12.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:05 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
…but honestly there is little gains to be had performance wise from 10 - 11 and even less to 12.
Unless you happen to do a lot of climbing including steep grades, in which case the subcompact Chorus option is a huge performance gain, especially when coupled with the ability to put a 32 on the back. IMO (and IME), of course.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:30 PM

I bought the new Chorus 12, specifically to get the 48/32 and 11-34 cassette. I've got steep grades to climb, where a 32/34 works a lot better than a 34/32.

I'm still thinking about trying a SRAM 10-36, just for kicks. I know for sure that the Chorus RD does not have enough wrap to cover the whole range. There's some chance that it might be able to stretch over the 48/36, but if it does, it will be incredibly tight. Add 1 inch of chain and it will hang loose in the little ring and several of the smallest sprockets. I first set mine up with a 55 inch chain and it was too long. The 54 inch is what Campy recommends for my 406mm chainstay length. With a 54 inch, it will wrap the 48/34, but it's questionable whether there's 1/2 inch of length left to wrap a 36.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Im sorta of biased here since i wouldent mind buying your frame but i have to say even if i put that aside that i dont think 12s campy on your moots would be an upgrade and would perhaps even look slightly out of place with your reynolds fork and older style moots. But thats just from a visual perspective ofc but honestly there is little gains to be had performance wise from 10 - 11 and even less to 12.
Agreed, but just going to new parts can be a pretty nice upgrade pending condition. I will also second the gearing comments. Chorus 12 has an advantage if you need low gearing. Marginal improvements if you don’t. If you need a 53/39, then chorus 12 isn’t your group.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:40 PM

Thanks a lot for the feedback everyone. One reason I love this forum is that I was just asking about whether a 12sp would fit, and got a bunch of additional discussion. The 10sp shifts perfectly and is in great condition and it doesn’t sound like there would be any appreciable difference in going to 12. The 10 suits me fine with the mountains around here, so just going to keep that for now. Appreciate the feedback everyone!
Old 07-05-2020, 03:57 PM

I totally dig my 12 speed but my Tommasini and my wife’s bike will probably stay 10 speed forever. I’ve actually got a second 10spd group boxed up just in case.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple View Post
Thanks a lot for the feedback everyone. One reason I love this forum is that I was just asking about whether a 12sp would fit, and got a bunch of additional discussion. The 10sp shifts perfectly and is in great condition and it doesn’t sound like there would be any appreciable difference in going to 12. The 10 suits me fine with the mountains around here, so just going to keep that for now. Appreciate the feedback everyone!
Smart. Best shifting feel. If you don't need a 30+ tooth cassette or need to run a Shimano wheelset, it is the best gruppo. IMO.
Old 07-05-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
Agreed, but just going to new parts can be a pretty nice upgrade pending condition. I will also second the gearing comments. Chorus 12 has an advantage if you need low gearing. Marginal improvements if you don’t. If you need a 53/39, then chorus 12 isn’t your group.
Contrarian here, what I like about the 12 speed group is being able to use larger front with lower gearing out back. I have climbed 10k feet in a day on a compact did it on standards with 12-25 cogs too. but I do run out of big ring descending on the sub/compact groups.

once/if they release a 12sp silver alloy group you'll be able to show off the old italian steed drive side out with big rings but still have the gearing in back to make it through the day

Last edited by cinema; 07-05-2020 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema View Post
Contrarian here, what I like about the 12 speed group is being able to use larger front with lower gearing out back. I have climbed 10k feet in a day on a compact did it on standards with 12-25 cogs too. but I do run out of big ring descending on the sub/compact groups.

once/if they release a 12sp silver alloy group you'll be able to show off the old italian steed drive side out with big rings but still have the gearing in back to make it through the day
My comment was specifically about chorus 12 speed not offering a 53/39. The 52/36 is as large as they go.

The 34t cassette did allow me to go with a 52/36 over a 50/34.