Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Old 05-28-2020, 10:35 AM

What size frame...around a 50cm? Great looking bikes.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
What was your impression of the T1SL versus the Moots RSL? Worth swapping or not enough difference to mess with? I get that it probably depends on what one wants from a bike, geo, etc. but curious about your impressions as the T1SL has always intrigued me.
Not to thread-drift too too far, but for me, the T1SL feels much more like a top-tier race bike than the Moots RSL. Much of that could be geometry as Moots has moved the RSL to be more of a boutique fondo bike than a race bike in terms of handling and positioning of the rider on the bike. Again, atmo. The shaping of the tubing on the T1SL is amazing. And the T2 is like 95% of the T1SL. Danggit, I'm kind of talking myself into getting another one! One issue on both though is that they are designed for 25s (and probably fit reasonable 28s). The disc versions however will fit 30s (and probably measured 32s).
Old 05-28-2020, 12:58 PM
Formerly rchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
What size frame...around a 50cm? Great looking bikes.
Thanks.

Frame is 52.5cm top tube, 47.5 seat tube, 68mm bb drop, 96.5 wheelbase, 406mm chainstays and 72.5* HTA. Pretty standard race geo.

I've ridden and owned a lot of different bikes and one of the more interesting things about bikes/geo is how the rider is setup on them can influence the perception of handling a ton. One of my most telepathic descending bikes I've owned was a SS Evo. I think the T3 with the 140mm Sprint stem and lots of drop is on par with my recollection of the Evo. It's a weird thing but given the right bike, if you get your balance on the bike right with how the geo was designed, then you can have this almost invincible like feeling when descending. Each time you exit a turn, you think to yourself, OK, next time I can enter it faster.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanH View Post
Thanks.

Frame is 52.5cm top tube, 47.5 seat tube, 68mm bb drop, 96.5 wheelbase, 406mm chainstays and 72.5* HTA. Pretty standard race geo.

I've ridden and owned a lot of different bikes and one of the more interesting things about bikes/geo is how the rider is setup on them can influence the perception of handling a ton. One of my most telepathic descending bikes I've owned was a SS Evo. I think the T3 with the 140mm Sprint stem and lots of drop is on par with my recollection of the Evo. It's a weird thing but given the right bike, if you get your balance on the bike right with how the geo was designed, then you can have this almost invincible like feeling when descending. Each time you exit a turn, you think to yourself, OK, next time I can enter it faster.
I particularly like your bikes since we ride about the same size, though it appears you have a higher saddle and lower bars.

I have noticed that even really nice bikes with similar setups can feel very different in terms of handling. I realize a lot is in my head. That feeling you've described is kind of like my goal on bikes, though I can't imagine ever feeling invincible descending. On my current favorite, while I don't feel invincible, I do feel a lot more confident than one some other bikes.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:37 PM

so many different components have been on this frame, how many miles do you estimate it has? Also you're my inspiration with with your several versions of your litespeed classic(s). They appear in almost any image search for "litespeed classic" I am currently riding, and upgrading a 97 classic, which is maybe not the best year? but after riding a few newer Ti frames I realized how great it was and had a surprising amount of stiffness.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:55 PM
Formerly rchman

Thanks, I added up the mileage the other day since I used to keep track of bikes by wheelset on Strava. It's approaching 18k miles. Less than I would have thought but I was also getting a new frameset every other month for a couple years.

Regarding the Classics, I like them a lot. My one issue with the older ones is the 1" steerer, I can't prevent the stem from eventually slipping. I seem to be one of the few that has that issue but if you like to torque your bars during efforts, something to keep in mind. I prefer the looks of the 1" steerer models though. The one I wish I didn't sell was my circa 2004 since it had the 1 1/8 steerer. However they ditched the integrated seat clamp which made the bike look significantly sleeker.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:13 PM

Yeah the 1" steerer is a limiting factor but thank god for the columbus minimal. I just picked one up, but haven't installed yet. 1-1/8" would certainly open things up in the fork dept. I'd trade that for the non-integrated seat post collar. I have more issues with that slipping than my stem with the shim. Judging by the pics, I'm surprised you had an issue with the stem since it's slammed (vertical slippage), or do you mean slippage with the bars twisting away from center?
Old 06-01-2020, 08:31 PM
Formerly rchman

It would go off center.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:53 PM

One day I'm gonna buy some of those bora one 35s. They look so good in every build i see them on.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurbait View Post
One day I'm gonna buy some of those bora one 35s. They look so good in every build i see them on.

he's an xxx2 convert now.. Ryan I'm first in line for those xxx2 ok.. I was so close.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanH View Post
It would go off center.
Did you ever experiment by putting some sort adhesive between shim and stem clamp? Not sure if that would help at all or if it occurs between shim and steerer.

I luckily haven't had an issue yet and I'm probably about 1500 miles in on mine. But this is all on the old alpha q fork. I wonder if potentially there is a small difference in steerer tube diameter on the Columbus. I guess I'll see..