Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Builder Spotlights

Old 11-28-2023, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Are the smaller frames, where the tubes are adjacent, more difficult to fillet than larger sized frames?

Always such a treat to see your progress photos and get insight into the build process!
There is one thing that is more difficult to deal with on smaller frames and that it when the top and down tubes overlap and the top tube needs to have a small miter to deal with the down tube.

If you scroll up to post number 2383 above you'll see this frame before it was brazed. Look closely at the head tube and you'll see that the top tube has a miter in the underside to allow it to overlap the down tube slightly. Getting this miter to fit tightly is much harder to do when compared to it simply connecting with the head tube.

Laying and cleaning up the fillets might be slightly easier as there is simply less to do since the top and down tubes share a portion of the fillet.

Make sense?

dave
Old 11-29-2023, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
There is one thing that is more difficult to deal with on smaller frames and that it when the top and down tubes overlap and the top tube needs to have a small miter to deal with the down tube.

If you scroll up to post number 2383 above you'll see this frame before it was brazed. Look closely at the head tube and you'll see that the top tube has a miter in the underside to allow it to overlap the down tube slightly. Getting this miter to fit tightly is much harder to do when compared to it simply connecting with the head tube.

Laying and cleaning up the fillets might be slightly easier as there is simply less to do since the top and down tubes share a portion of the fillet.

Make sense?

dave
Yep, thank you
Old 11-29-2023, 01:35 PM

I am pretty sure I have said this before, but will say it again, wish I had been in a position to get one of these gothic beauties. The details my untrained eye see in are breathtaking, and I assume even better in person and with higher res pictures.

Hopefully something just as epic will be available for your 25th anniversary.
Old 12-04-2023, 01:03 PM

The 4th of five of the 20th Anniversary bikes is done and ready for paint. One more to go!

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_6593.jpg (38.6 KB, 529 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6589.jpg (41.5 KB, 533 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6601.jpg (36.3 KB, 532 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6630.jpg (96.9 KB, 536 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6623.jpg (55.2 KB, 534 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6625.jpg (96.3 KB, 540 views)
Old 12-04-2023, 02:32 PM

Oooooooh!
Sounds like I’ll be getting a missive soon!
Old 12-05-2023, 09:13 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
Oooooooh!
Sounds like I’ll be getting a missive soon!
Ooooh, indeed! Lucky you! Will be a nice addition to your collection of classic steel, Dr.

I'm a sucker for the lugwork on the non-anniv frames, though. Do love the head badge DK has come up with. Looks great.

PS. Does DK know there's a guy in his garage window taking a photo of his shop?
Old 12-06-2023, 10:03 PM
Hey, watch this!!!!!

Hot!!

Wow!!! Dave!!
That’s really great work!! Wish I had been paying closer attention. Would have liked to get one of these.
Old 12-07-2023, 08:58 AM

Hey Dave, out of curiosity, what would you say the split is between lugged VS filler frames you build?
Old 12-07-2023, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewsmith View Post
Hey Dave, out of curiosity, what would you say the split is between lugged VS filler frames you build?
That's a good question.

I'd say that over the long term that fillet builds were about 30% of my work with the rest being lugged. That said, over the past few years I think that about 60% of my work is filleted. I'm not fully sure why that is but like with most things the pendulum swings and the number goes up and down again.

I like the variety - it keeps things fresh.

dave
Old 12-20-2023, 04:30 PM

This is either the final or next-to-final frameset of the year and it's on it's way to my painter JB's place as I type. It's a straight up mixed material JK Special and it's built around a mechanical groupset, medium reach rim brakes and a 35 mm tire. A true go fast road bike with room for mid-fat tires.

This has become my favorite niche over time.

Time to work on the next one...I'm not sure what's next but I look forward to it.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_6676.jpg (92.3 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6684.jpg (34.9 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6661.jpg (66.4 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6655.jpg (101.9 KB, 217 views)
Old 12-20-2023, 06:19 PM

Nice. So you can slope the top tube even when using lugs, Dave?

What is the length of that head tube extension? What do you think is the upper range of HT extensions that still look good on a lugged frame?

Thanks. Have a little interest in your answers.
Old 12-20-2023, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
Nice. So you can slope the top tube even when using lugs, Dave?

What is the length of that head tube extension? What do you think is the upper range of HT extensions that still look good on a lugged frame?

Thanks. Have a little interest in your answers.
Hello there -

Yes - most of my lugs frames can be built with a level or very slight slope....or....they can be made with more slope like this one which has 5°.

The protrusion of head tube above the top tube in this frame runs a bit more than average at 23 mm.

How much head tube protrusion can you have and still have it look good? I would be hard pressed to come up with a number, that if surpassed, would look bad. This one is 23 mm. Most of the time it's in the 19 mm range. Could I add more and have it look good? Probably. How much more? I dunno.

Typically we can play with the other numbers so that we don't need to make it like a top hat. A slightly longer seat tube, a bit more top tube slope and maybe adding a little to the top of the lug and most any fit we want it possible.

Make sense?

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_6638.jpg (50.6 KB, 211 views)
Old 12-21-2023, 01:11 PM

Yeah, all makes sense. I think up to around 25mm extension on the HT can look OK, from what I've seen. Getting a 5% (or degrees?) TT slope with lugs is pretty good. I'm sure that range will give plenty of options to work with...

Cheers.
Old 12-21-2023, 11:58 PM

I’m sure you’ve received a thousand compliments, but I can’t resist one more. That lug work (post 2395) is so elegant and fine, and I especially like the rhythm of the seat tube cluster with the way all the points are filed. I’ve really enjoyed this thread over the years.
Old 12-22-2023, 09:41 AM

I recently saw some pics if old mantis mountain bikes with a Gothic style fillet. https://secondspincycles.com/mantis/

Wondering what the advantages of this type of fillet is, other than looking really cool.

I'll always kick myself for not trying to get one when they were available.