Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Builder Spotlights

Old 06-18-2013, 12:07 PM

Ten years - part 9 is up.

Thanks for looking.

Dave

http://www.kirkframeworks.com/blog/2...-years-part-9/
Old 06-25-2013, 02:51 PM

We're getting down there. Ten years - part 10 is up.

dave

http://www.kirkframeworks.com/blog/2...years-part-10/
Old 07-11-2013, 08:11 PM
Classics Fan

First blue sky we've had in a while... took this pic while relaxing after 21 miles of a 21.4 mile ride. Awesome.

The bike is rockin' Dave! Closing in on 600 miles.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:26 PM

Kirk Frameworks

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373847918.157519.jpg

It's the swank fillet joining that helps it blend in

Instagram
Old 07-15-2013, 12:43 PM

Cool photos!

Dave
Old 07-26-2013, 10:55 AM

Flights are booked, looking at car and hotels now - 10/20 party - here I come!
Old 08-01-2013, 01:04 PM

Serotta.

Just a few thoughts on the company and the man.

Dave

http://www.kirkframeworks.com/blog/2013/08/01/serotta/
Old 08-02-2013, 01:54 AM
Vendor

Thanks for the post and pics. Do you have catalogs for every year that you were there? What year was the yearbook photo?
Old 08-02-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
Thanks for the post and pics. Do you have catalogs for every year that you were there? What year was the yearbook photo?
Good Morning,

I don't have all the catalogs but I wish I did. It seems I did at some point but they must have vanished into the vapor.

The 1994 yearbook catalog was always my favorite. It's funny because when they told us we would all be in the catalog there was a collective groan from the floor boys. We were told to have a clean shirt and a fresh shave and that got an even bigger groan. But once the catalogs were in an a pile of them was placed on the break room table everyone grabbed one or two copies and immediately looked for their photo. I think the guys were proud to be shown and acknowledged.

In the end it was this group of rather rough guys from the shop floor that made a Serotta a Serotta and they operated in complete obscurity 99% of the time. They didn't get to go to Interbike to see folks crammed into the booth to see their work, they didn't get interviewed by Velonews, they didn't get to see potential customers rush into a Serotta dealer to ogle their work when a new model was released............so having the company show them off in the catalog was a big deal. It was this way for all of us. It was a big deal to most of us. I don't know why it wasn't done in later years but I think it was a mistake not to.

Dave
Old 08-04-2013, 12:16 PM

Re: The GT seat stay design, I'm sure you've seen the Hetchins Hellenic stays.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hellen-1.jpg (70.2 KB, 577 views)
Old 08-06-2013, 11:58 PM

Hey Dave,

Got a question for ya. At NAHBS you were saying that the terraplane seat stays were highly recommended for us.. more vertically challenged. However, on a different forum, a member (lady) said that on her frame she said you felt it'd be too small (48cm) for the terraplane to make much of a difference.

1. Where is the range where you feel terraplane seat stays make a difference?
2. Why would the shorter seat tube make a difference? Is it because if you did the terraplane then it'd be too stiff or something due to the shorter length?

Or maybe this was all just specific to her bike and ride preferences and I misunderstood.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:13 PM
What? Where?!

Dave,
This is a great thread. Thank you for your patience with us! I had the great opportunity to speak with you at the NAHBS in Indianapolis a few years back (I have attached a poor pic of a beautiful paint job on a bike you were showing off at the time).

So what's up with the Triple F drop outs? I know you are proud of them and I know others drool over them. What makes them so good?

Someday I will call you to get on a wait list for a bike with terraplane stays. Until then I'll muddle around on it's relative a few generations removed: an Ottrott with ST stays.

Thanks,
-s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paceline (1 of 1)-2.jpg (93.7 KB, 482 views)
Old 08-31-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguedog View Post
Hey Dave,

Got a question for ya. At NAHBS you were saying that the terraplane seat stays were highly recommended for us.. more vertically challenged. However, on a different forum, a member (lady) said that on her frame she said you felt it'd be too small (48cm) for the terraplane to make much of a difference.

1. Where is the range where you feel terraplane seat stays make a difference?
2. Why would the shorter seat tube make a difference? Is it because if you did the terraplane then it'd be too stiff or something due to the shorter length?

Or maybe this was all just specific to her bike and ride preferences and I misunderstood.
Hello -

Sorry I missed your question...........it looks like you asked it a few weeks back and I missed it.

Here are some answers/responses for you -

1) I assume you mean frames size range and how it affects the effectiveness of the Terraplane stays. There of course in no break point where the stays work as in tended or not but it's safe to say that the smaller the frame the less influence the stays have. The reason is simple..........a smaller frame has shorter s-stays and it gets difficult to squeeze the two curves into the space allowed. The not obvious upside is that the s-stays on a small frame make a tighter angle at the dropout so that they are less vertical and this means that there is more leverage on the smaller frame on the stays so they need less curve to give a benefit. Hard to explain without being able to talk with my hands but I'll bet you get the idea.

2) the shorter seat tube, be it due to the rider be shorter or the top tube being sloped, means that the s-stays are shorter and this makes it hard to get the bends into the area I have to work with.

In the end it can be a challenge to fit the Terraplane stays in on frames in the 50ish cm range...........but it of course depends on the rest of the numbers and the real life length of the s-stays.

Does that answer your question?

Dave
Old 08-31-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrawny View Post
Dave,
This is a great thread. Thank you for your patience with us! I had the great opportunity to speak with you at the NAHBS in Indianapolis a few years back (I have attached a poor pic of a beautiful paint job on a bike you were showing off at the time).

So what's up with the Triple F drop outs? I know you are proud of them and I know others drool over them. What makes them so good?

Someday I will call you to get on a wait list for a bike with terraplane stays. Until then I'll muddle around on it's relative a few generations removed: an Ottrott with ST stays.

Thanks,
-s
Thanks for the questions and the photo of that show bike. That crinkle paint and gold were really fun.

Triple F drops - the idea behind them is to minimize the amount of material needed to make the drop (to minimize weight and increase stiffness) and the distance between the stay and the axle (to maximize stiffness and reduce weight).

I view drops a bit differently than some other builders. I do not see them as a billboard or a place to have logos or shapes cut into them...........I see them in a completely pragmatic way and functional way. Ideally, IMO, the drop should have the shortest possible transition from the stays to the rear axle. The stay is very stiff and very light and if I could I'd hook the rear axle directly to it...........but that isn't really an option so we need a drop. So I want the drop to almost not exist and take up as little space as possible. Long and thick plates used in drops are heavier and more flexible than need be IMO.

Aside from that I wanted it to be easy to clean (I love a clean bike) so all the curves are about the size of a finger tip. So you can wrap a rag around your finger and get the whole thing clean with little fussing around with windows and cut outs.

When I designed the drops I held a stay next to a rear axle and envisioned the best way I could to join the two with as little stuff as possible all the while making it look clean and be easy to keep clean.

I like them and feel they well represent the way I look at design.

Thanks again for asking.

dave
Old 08-31-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
[snip]

When I designed the drops I held a stay next to a rear axle and envisioned the best way I could to join the two with as little stuff as possible all the while making it look clean and be easy to keep clean.

I like them and feel they well represent the way I look at design.

Thanks again for asking.

dave

:thumbsup: