Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Old 11-29-2023, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geemalar View Post
I’ve always been a fan of the brand going way back, the current line just seems too much in both design and cost.

Nonetheless, the AK61 Magnesium is something definitely my speed and liking. Took a look to see what’s out there………someone on the bay is selling what’s claimed to be a brand new frame, in my size and a color that I really like.

The problem is it’s in the town right next door to mine……..even my wife says to go buy it. I really don’t need, or even really want, another bike. But everything says just do it.

I’m just going to hold off a little bit, with any luck someone else will grab it before I do. But if it drops a few more dollars, I’m going to have to re evaluate the situation.

It sounds like you need a new "winter" Pinarello, just like Angry

I've been scoping one too after seeing this thread, but already have too many things in motion and no empty hook in the garage.
Old 11-29-2023, 03:02 PM

I tend to think and call myself practical……..my wife calls me cheap.

I don’t really need it, and I kind of don’t really want another bike…..but then again, who doesn’t want another bike?
Old 11-29-2023, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Parts are trickling in...

Old 11-29-2023, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geemalar View Post
I tend to think and call myself practical……..my wife calls me cheap.

I don’t really need it, and I kind of don’t really want another bike…..but then again, who doesn’t want another bike?
I see the one you're talking about on ebay. It's a good price, but likely more than I would have paid. The frame I got is about as close to new as possible without being new and I paid a little over $500 for it, which was a no-brainer for me.

We should go for a ride in the Spring, you can check it out in person!
Old 11-29-2023, 05:36 PM

Yeah, it’s a little more than I would like to spend, for a frame that’s what, 15 years old? If it was more in the $1,000 range I would make the effort to take a look at it.

AFA riding, I’m always up for going riding, doesn’t have to wait until spring.

Good luck with the build, good looking frame…..
Old 11-29-2023, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
I am failing to see significant differences to current pro race bikes.

Well, this “modern“ one seems to have mountain bike brakes on it
Old 11-29-2023, 06:51 PM

I had a beautiful Opera from that time frame - similar to yours, although steel frame , but a year or 2 older as it did not have the Zonda fork

Hate sounding cliche' but it literally rode like a magic carpet ride, or a stretch limo - very smooth

Alas - it was a 55c and no amount of fiddling with stems, post offset, etc could make it comfortable for me as i needed a 53

Would like to try one again if i found the proper size

Old 11-30-2023, 03:00 PM

Removing that top chrome decal makes this bike dramatically more handsome - great choice!

I've always wanted to try a magnesium frame. I'm excited to hear your ride impressions. That being said, I may keep it in a detached garage.

A long time ago, I was on a work-team doing the irrigation grading next to a ball bearing plant that, unbeknownst to us, made a lot of their ball bearings or housings from magnesium. We needed to remove a portion of chain link fence, so my buddy started cutting through it with the circular saw that we used to cut concrete. This sprayed sparks behind him, which immediately caused the disturbed soil to ignite and spark all around us. It was wild to see the entire ground erupt, popping and flashing, like this. fortunately, we all had fast reflexes and nobody was hurt. We used the excavator to trench and bury the burning area then finished the project, being mindful about open flames....
Old 11-30-2023, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddtwenty2 View Post
Removing that top chrome decal makes this bike dramatically more handsome - great choice!

I've always wanted to try a magnesium frame. I'm excited to hear your ride impressions. That being said, I may keep it in a detached garage.

A long time ago, I was on a work-team doing the irrigation grading next to a ball bearing plant that, unbeknownst to us, made a lot of their ball bearings or housings from magnesium. We needed to remove a portion of chain link fence, so my buddy started cutting through it with the circular saw that we used to cut concrete. This sprayed sparks behind him, which immediately caused the disturbed soil to ignite and spark all around us. It was wild to see the entire ground erupt, popping and flashing, like this. fortunately, we all had fast reflexes and nobody was hurt. We used the excavator to trench and bury the burning area then finished the project, being mindful about open flames....

That is a crazy story!
Old 11-30-2023, 04:36 PM
Administrator

This will be my first use of carbon fiber bars, and I think I'm really going to like these Deda's. They feel really nice in hand, and the flat tops feel really good to hold.

Old 12-01-2023, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Old School Cool.

Old 12-01-2023, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Old School Cool.

Nick, you need the carbon version! https://www.ebay.com/itm/294791994233
Old 12-03-2023, 07:38 AM

STUNNING frame ENJOY the Project build

I have some interesting history on that actual frameset
Old 12-08-2023, 09:00 AM

Where are you with this PINA BUILD PROJECT?
Old 12-08-2023, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Thanks for checking in. Coming right along, waiting for some parts. Seems around the holidays now everything is delayed with shipping.

Currently trying to decide if I should set the wheels up with tubeless sealant now or wait until Spring, as they will likely just sit over the winter. I'd like to take it for a ride if we get a nice day once it's built though. We'll see.

Next on the agenda is choose the lightest chain between KMC EL, Sram RED-22 or Sram RED AXS. Will weigh all three once I get the AXS chain in the mail.