Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2007, 10:05 AM

Organized education is difficult for the majority of ISFPs, and many drop out before finishing secondary education. Their interest can be held better through experiential learning, at which many excel. ISFPs will practice playing an instrument or honing a favored skill for hours on end, not so much as practice as for the joy of the experience.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:08 AM

Last edited by edouard; 03-20-2007 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:56 AM
the antiviper

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoop
ditto that. but the thing on custom bikes is that they are all spiced to flavor. it's a bit like going for chinese takeout and asking for spicy at one place and mild at nother and then stating as fact online that the mild place can't make a spicy dish.
kind of drives me crazy.
I'm pretty sure that most of the bikes were "stock", since they were demos. I know that the Nove (now my Nove) is a stock 52cm.

My Steel Axiom (according to some guy named Zanc-something who used to work there...) is spec'ed as follows: Handling - 6, Drive train rigidity - 7, Vertical compliance - 5, Weight to performance ratio - 8. I think this is relatively stock, with slightly faster handling and less vertical compliance.

I agree with you, swoop - That's why I'm happy buying stock frames...
Old 03-19-2007, 11:18 AM
Fat Robert

infp

i like chainstays that work -- i figure a good builder can get that result in a lot of ways, none of which i'm capable of discussing.

Last edited by Fat Robert; 03-19-2007 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:22 AM
jmewkill posse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McLean
hmfic
Old 03-19-2007, 11:24 AM

osyf
Old 03-19-2007, 11:35 AM
if claude rains it pours

atmo -
absolutely too much ovum atmo
Old 03-19-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald
hmfic
are you sure the wife knows this?

g
Old 03-19-2007, 12:31 PM
Questionable User

Unhappy Time to put it to rest ...

folks, I think this thread is pretty much done. thanks for the memories
Old 03-19-2007, 12:33 PM
aka Terry Keele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray
Grant had an article about this in an early Riv Reader. He compared a bike with radically short stays (I think there was a split seat tube to allow the rear wheel to actually come forward between the two halves of the seat tube to a bike with real long stays.
-Ray
Serious thread drift, but it looks a bit out of control anyway. Grant must have been talking about the Rigi as seen here. The guy who got me into cycling in the late 70s bought one of these new and he still has it. I can attest that it is the worst handling bicycle I've ever pedaled. If I remember correctly, there were a bunch of really short chainstay bikes that came out around the same time.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:35 PM
jmewkill posse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McLean
are you sure the wife knows this?

g
Trust me, I was looking over my shoulder when I typed that. That's the bad. The good side is I'm PW'd* and not hen-pecked.

*PW =
Old 03-19-2007, 12:36 PM
flux filled

I gots to ax

I understand the physics of curved seat stays allowing some movement. I also believe it can be measured. But my question is can it be perceived? Lots of things can be measured yet are well outside the realm of being able to be felt by a human being. I see plenty of bikes with varying degrees of bend in the seat stays to accomplish some wheel movement but the wheel is also within 5mm or so to the back of the seat tube. So given the travel of the wheel is basically an arc, that gap between the wheel and seat tube doesn't allow for much movement. So can humans feel say 2mm of rear wheel movement? Before people defensively answer, has blind testing been done to back it up? I'm not busting any chops I'm asking a real question. There's a famous road test done by some bike mag where a group of individuals rode their bikes on a timed circuit with identical looking waterbottles but some bottles were empty while others were filled with weights in 1# increments up to 5#. Not one of the riders could reliably tell the difference between an empty bottle and the 5# one plus times didn't reliably reflect weight differences. Now I know this test isn't testing wheel movement but it does illustrate that these riders couldn't tell the difference between a bike that say weighs 18# and one that weighs 23#. So my point is people as measuring instruments aren't that accurate.

Curt
Old 03-19-2007, 01:25 PM

Curt,

First of all, on curved seatstay or soft-tail bikes the rear wheel does travel mostly in an arc (think of the axle’s path as it moves up), but it would have to move a significant amount (way more than 2 MM) before it moves a considerable amount towards the seat tube. If you have enough room to install the tire with it fully inflated, there is very little chance that it could move enough to hit the seat tube.

I have no doubt that a rider can feel an incremental difference of 2 MM if he starts from a very stiff set-up. If you ride a straight seatstay frame (essentially zero give) with aero wheels and high-pressure tires, then an additional 2 MM will be very discernible under high-frequency low-amplitude road conditions (i.e. – like chip and seal). Two millimeters should reduce the buzz under those conditions.

The only time it will be worse is if the added vertical give throws the rider/bike system into its natural frequency in which case the buzz will likely be amplified. If you pass judgment on this rare occasion, then you will likely be wrong the rest of the time under other conditions -- IMHO.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:36 PM
flux filled

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS
Curt,

First of all, on curved seatstay or soft-tail bikes the rear wheel does travel mostly in an arc (think of the axle’s path as it moves up), but it would have to move a significant amount (way more than 2 MM) before it moves a considerable amount towards the seat tube. If you have enough room to install the tire with it fully inflated, there is very little chance that it could move enough to hit the seat tube.

I have no doubt that a rider can feel an incremental difference of 2 MM if he starts from a very stiff set-up. If you ride a straight seatstay frame (essentially zero give) with aero wheels and high-pressure tires, then an additional 2 MM will be very discernible under high-frequency low-amplitude road conditions (i.e. – like chip and seal). Two millimeters should reduce the buzz under those conditions.

The only time it will be worse is if the added vertical give throws the rider/bike system into its natural frequency in which case the buzz will likely be amplified. If you pass judgment on this rare occasion, then you will likely be wrong the rest of the time under other conditions -- IMHO.

You say people can feel the difference theoretically but haven't done blind test to confirm that. Correct? Not looking for a cat fight just pointing out if there hasn't been any testing how do we know? It's my assertion that most prinesses can't feel that pea but then again I haven't done any testing either.

Curt
Old 03-19-2007, 01:40 PM
if claude rains it pours

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg
It's my assertion that most princesses can't feel that pea but then again I haven't done any testing either.

Curt
i recall dating a few that could atmo.