Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2018, 04:41 PM

Problem with Zwift and Cycleops Trainer

I have Cycleops Magnus trainer that I’ve used successfully with Zwift for a year. I finally read the Zwift website in detail and it mentioned that it’s good to occasionally calibrate your smart trainer. So I did this with Zwift’s tool. Disaster. The slightest pedal effort resulted in superhuman speed and power readings. Looking through their ‘known issues’ section they said that there’s a problem and don’t recommend using the Zwift calibration tool with Cycleops trainers. Gee, that’s great—why’d their program allow me to do so when they know what trainer I use?

I called Cycleops and Zwift and read lots of comments from angry trainer users with the same problem. Zwift and Cycleops blame each other. The workaround recommended is to download Rouvy, which appears to be a Cycleops product, do a calibration there and then go back to Zwift. I did all that but I can’t successfully do a calibration on Rouvy. The directions are to pedal at 20-25 mph and at some point, it will tell you to quit pedaling. It never did. I’ve tried 4 times from 1 min. to 15 min. until I finally gave up. Each time I’ve gone back to Zwift but no fix. I’ve checked with the Powertap app and it shows my firmware is up to date.

I’m frustrated about all the wasted non-riding time. Does anyone have any tips on calibration with Rouvy? Or any ideas about how I can get back to Zwifting?

Much thanks.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:51 PM

Try asking here- https://www.facebook.com/groups/zwiftriders/
Old 01-20-2018, 05:29 PM
D.Bordewisch

Longtime Saris/Cyclops/Rouvy user. Have the new Hammer on Rouvy takes 4-6 minutes at 19-25mph. Maybe try get Rouvy up find trainer, get to calibration, calibrate and se what happens. It is silly I can not have Zwift and Rouvy going at the same time. Zwift would not recognize my Powerbeam as trainer to be able to calibrate. Nor would they answer the question to in there forum. Try calling Saris again they usually are very helpful. In the end I like rouvy better and know that my Zwift is going to be off on power numbers.
Good luck!
Old 01-22-2018, 06:25 PM

Not super helpful, since I am doing this from memory and not on the trainer right now, but Rouvy had a "calibrate" option in the menu. Go to settings-->trainer and it should be there if you are paired to the Magnus and riding. I found the process a bit odd...it wants you to pedal at a certain speed, 28-34kmh, for a while, presumably to warm up the trainer. Then it says to keep pedaling but turns off the resistance, so you start spinning like crazy, and then it says "stop pedaling" and does the roll down calibration. Not sure what the step in the middle is with pedaling but no resistance.

Last edited by hobbanero; 01-22-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:04 AM

I calibrated my Hammer through Zwift prior to determining there was a known issue on the Zwift side. The Zwift process certainly made a mess of the trainer operation.

I calibrated again using Rouvy (Cycleops) and all was corrected. When you connect to Rouvy, make certain Zwift is shut down so there is no conflict.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:07 PM

Thanks for the replies. I finally got it working. Zwift’s solution is to use Rouvy to calibrate rather than Zwift’s own tool. I tried using my ANT+ connection to calibrate on Rouvy on the pc and that failed. It was recommended that I use Bluetooth with an iPad and that did work. I spent way too much time but glad to be functional again.