Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2018, 05:04 PM

Hope Tech Hubs

I've been out of the game for a while, but I am starting to get back on the bike. It is amazing how much has changed in the 9ish years I've been away.

I'm looking for a new set of wheels for my cross bike (cantis). I don't race it - just like the ride and may try some gravel rides at some point. It used to be the Open Pro / Ultegra combo was the standard recommendation. Seems to me that there are a ton more hub and rim options out there now...

That said, I got a quote from a local wheel builder for Open Pro UST rims laced to Hope Tech RS4 hubs. The builder says they are his "goto mid-range hub." Says they are easier to maintain as they use press fit bearings. The wheelset is kind of spendy at $650 for the build.

I've done some searching and can't find much on the board about these hubs. Anyone have experience with the Hope Tech road hubs? Are they worth an extra couple of hundred over a 105 hub?

I'm happy to pay a bit more for a hand-built wheelset from a local guy. Just want to know that I am getting a solid product.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:10 PM

Hope hubs are definitely good quality. They're like the UK version of White Industries or Chris King. All of their products are well made, in my experience. I like their hubs and the hub design has come a long way (some of the old designs were aluminum flanges bonded to titanium shells). If the price works for you, you'll surely have a long life out of that wheelset. If you want to spend a bit less look at DT 350s, and the Shimano stuff works and will work for a long time as well.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:24 PM
Vendor

I've got a set on my 29er. Very nicely made and they have lots of end cap options. They are loud though. I think Shimano's 105 are solid too, but they won't get you points at the coffee shop.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:58 PM
Vendor

I think in that price range you could get into a set of H-Plus Son with DT 240s. That's probably the nicest alloy everyday wheelset I've ever ridden.

Back to your immediate question. Hope hubs are really well built and have a nice bling factor. They hold up well but do have a loud freehub if that's not your thing (check youtube).

Past the hubs, I think the open pros are pretty outdated as a recommendation lately. There are some really great alloy rims now. Fairwheel has a great round up:
http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/revie...y-rim-roundup/
Old 09-18-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahuston View Post
The Fairwheel writeup on the Open Pro is pretty scathing. I've read about the H+ Son Archetype rims and they seem nice. I may have to look into those.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:25 PM

I have hope hubs on 3 wheels builds - reasonably light, good quality, no complaints at all. I like them.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:27 PM

I am a big fan of Hopes - well sealed, beautiful, reasonable weight and price.

The only thing that occasionally gets on my nerves is the noise, but I think that is mostly based on my mood

In short I recommend them. Great hubs!
Old 09-18-2018, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Archetypes are probably my favorite alloy rim right now; great quality for a good value. Hope hubs are solid also; got a bunch of miles on a set with no problems. They come in colors too which is nice to have a choice sometimes.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:08 PM

Piling on: Hope makes high quality stuff and has for ages. On par with WI or King in the hub department.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:19 PM

i've got 3 set of hopes going right now. they're solid hubs, tho they're no king or WI in terms of quality. and the stock bearings are trash, but once you replace them with something with a descent seal, you're golden
Old 09-18-2018, 07:21 PM

Hope does make quality products. I've used their mono mini hydro brakes on our MTBs for years and years with zero problems, and they look and work great.

I know a fella that has blue Hope disc hubs on his Ti CX bike. They look great. But be warned - the rear hub is SUPER LOUD when coasting. He says it has started to drive him crazy. And I'll admit, the super loud whirring is why I noticed them.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:30 AM

I havent noticed any unusual noise with my hubs, or issue with bearing seals. All of my stuff is the Pro4 & RS4, so relatively newer.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:19 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbone View Post
The Fairwheel writeup on the Open Pro is pretty scathing. I've read about the H+ Son Archetype rims and they seem nice. I may have to look into those.
I'd stay away from Mavic..H+Son, DT or Velocity have some really nice offerings, better products for less $..

Like DT460, DT411, DT470, DT511..

Velocity A23...

BUT Hope, WI, DT, PMP..shimano, Record..some great hubs out there..along with rims..not everything is a factory wheelouttaabox...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 09-19-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahuston View Post
I think in that price range you could get into a set of H-Plus Son with DT 240s. That's probably the nicest alloy everyday wheelset I've ever ridden.

Back to your immediate question. Hope hubs are really well built and have a nice bling factor. They hold up well but do have a loud freehub if that's not your thing (check youtube).

Past the hubs, I think the open pros are pretty outdated as a recommendation lately. There are some really great alloy rims now. Fairwheel has a great round up:
http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/revie...y-rim-roundup/
The open pro in the fairwheel review have nothing to do with the new UST ones, other than being Mavic. The reviews on the new rim are very positive. Imo, Hope hubs and the new open pros has all the desirable features: tubeless, wide rim with very versatile, reliable and waterproof hubs. If the builder knows his stuff the wheelset will be as good as it gets.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:23 PM

+1 on Hopes. I've got two sets. I'm sitting on a spare 28h silver fr. rs4 hub...centerlock 12mm TA if you need it.