Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-26-2019, 11:21 AM
cmg

OT: CBD oil for knee pain

I'm at the beginning of where the knee pain doesn't stop, just reduces in intensity. Starting to effect the sleeping pattern. Anybody tried CBD oil/products for pain management? how effective is it? Does effect anything else, side effects? yea, I'm old and overweight, what a surprise.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:24 AM

I do not use CBD oil for pain, i have heard mixed results. Some folks i know will swear by it and know it works, some folks i know tried it for ages and never found it helps. like smoking weed, people react in different ways, have different receptors, etc etc.

there is one way to find out if CBD works for you, try it. as far as i know, the side effects are minimal to none. i do know it helps many people deal with pain in the way that it helps you ignore pain. however i do not think it helps alleviate symptoms causing pain.

there is still not enough real research into the topic as that would be deemed inappropriate by folks who prefer to tell other folks how the proper way to live is.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:46 AM

I have severe diabetic neuropathy and major back issues, just made me groggy. Everyone and brother is putting the stuff out there, selling in in RI at corner gas station. Buyer beware. Expensive stuff

Ortho would start you with steroid shot, then perhaps synvisc. Personally I liked synvisc and significantly helped after mensicus surgery. Wife had few injections and never needed again. Unfortunately our insurance won't cover it anymore, says it doesn't work. Guess we personally don't count.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:58 AM

CBD Oil

I’ve been using it for a stiff neck for about 1yr. It not so much a pain reliever as something that takes the edge off. I struggle with my neck on long rides, no problem with the CBD oil. I also take a 100mg of Tumeric daily. I have a CBD Oil stick that also helps. No side effects, some folks say it helps with sleep.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:08 PM

"Takes the edge off" is a good way to describe it. I have a couple topicals by CBD For Life and Lord Jones...for minor, minor muscles nits and aches - sure it sorta works. Is it the CBD? or the menthol/camphor also in it? I dunno? Maybe Tiger Balm or BioFreeze is just as effective? YMMV.

For serious pain/biomechanical issues might be prudent to look into PT or Ortho to see what you can do there. Stretching, pt and core exercises, yoga, foam rolling etc can be a big help too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
I’ve been using it for a stiff neck for about 1yr. It not so much a pain reliever as something that takes the edge off. I struggle with my neck on long rides, no problem with the CBD oil. I also take a 100mg of Tumeric daily. I have a CBD Oil stick that also helps. No side effects, some folks say it helps with sleep.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:13 PM

I've done the Synvisc injections and they helped. I take 15mg of Meloxicam each morning and sometimes some CBD honey in the evening. I use the Farmhouse Hemp CBD, about 20mg per teaspoon of honey. It's all good, my knees sound bad but don't really hurt.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:29 PM

Do you know the source of your knee pain? That would be a good first step. Depending on the underlying issue, you might benefit from PT. Or as others have suggested, steroid or Synvisc injections may buy you some time if it’s wear and tear (neither helped me). Nothing to be lost by trying CBD however. Results vary, in part because it’s the Wild West out there in terms of knowing how much active ingredient you’re getting.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:50 PM
cmg

Do you know the source of your knee pain? No, i don't, going to Doc next week. Unfortunately Docs have a tendency to recommend surgery because my insurance will pay. It's an easy call to make.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:48 PM
Older Than You

CBD can be a little expensive depending on the strength. I found an online source that works well and costs about half what I pay locally. The problem is CBD isn't regulated so you take your chances.

I've had an ongoing leg problem for over a year. With some stretching, a roller and CBD oil I can keep the pain in check. Advil can help a lot but I've been told by my Nephrologist to avoid it.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:55 PM

Voltaren gel 2% or Pennsaid 2% (ungodly expensive).
Had a thread here a while back.
Had constant pain from TKR. Voltaren 2% essentially nixed the pain.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:01 PM

"...you might not believe this, little fella
But it'll cure your asthma too..."
Old 06-26-2019, 04:38 PM

Nothing wrong with surgery, if the pain is from a torn meniscus. I've had 3 of those. A doc will usually take x-rays before moving on to an MRI. If you have little or no joint space, the x-ray alone tells the story.

I had knee pain and little joint space back in 2010. I put up with it for 7 years before getting my knees replaced. Synvisc did little for me and insurance will usually only allow one series of shots every 6 months.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:01 PM

I take a cbd capsule to help me fall asleep sometimes. It helps me fall asleep, doesn't keep me asleep--but I don't feel groggy in the morning, as I do with melatonin. Some people have good results with cbd salve for pain.

It's often expensive but I poked around and found that Sunsoil (formerly Green Mountain cbd) is relatively inexpensive and very good quality. I order from them. Not affiliated with them, etc. but I like that they seem relatively ethical and are from my neck of the woods (VT).
Old 06-26-2019, 05:30 PM

Waste of money for me.
Did nothing for my arthritic hands.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:35 PM
Proud Grandpa

Wife uses it on her wonky back and I use it on my wrist/thumb..works VERY well, no side effects. Apothica or similar, Amazon.