Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2019, 09:17 AM

Conga Line Starts to the Right

I don't know what that is but it is not any sort of climbing I am familiar with.

What really makes this a total joke is the pictures of someone poised in heroic stance while he "conquers" Everest. None of those guys ever post a pic like this with an arrow pointing out which tourist in the line was them.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:33 AM

I saw the news and they said the pic is of 300 people in line to make the summit. Someone is making money on this deal.... sad part is 2 people have lost their lives already this season

(Edit) I think it’s 2 Americans but could be wrong on that, I think Old Potatoe has it right

Last edited by Bentley; 05-25-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:45 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
I saw the news and they said the pic is of 300 people in line to make the summit. Someone is making money on this deal.... sad part is 2 people have lost their lives already this season
Quote:
A British climber died on Mount Everest on Saturday, bringing the death toll this season on the world's highest peak to 10, officials said.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/...105901439.html
Old 05-25-2019, 09:47 AM

Between 8-10% of Nepal’s GDP comes from tourism. Which basically is permits/fees to the fellows in line there in that picture.

While you will never catch me doing this type activities, I am all for Nepal getting this cut of disposable income from the insanity.

Climbing from the other south side, I believe that goes money goes from Tibet/China
Old 05-25-2019, 12:28 PM
Member?

That photo displays an insane and extremely unsafe circumstance. I dislike waiting in line at the supermarket, I can't imagine waiting around in the "death zone". I have a terribe suspicion if the situation continues, there will be a future event where someone deemed to be too slow, or in the way, is dealt with in an unfortunate manner. Hypoxia clouds judgdment.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:12 PM

10 people have died within the last week or so and it sounds like more are going to. Sketchy!
Old 05-25-2019, 03:27 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

It would be interesting to see what would happen if next week someone discovered that 100 years ago a surveyor had made an error, and some obscure peak in the Karakoram (sp?) range is 10 feet higher than Everest.

Suddenly something that until now had been considered incredibly important would become so much less so.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
It would be interesting to see what would happen if next week someone discovered that 100 years ago a surveyor had made an error, and some obscure peak in the Karakoram (sp?) range is 10 feet higher than Everest.

Suddenly something that until now had been considered incredibly important would become so much less so.
Exactly! So hard to realize that the summit isn't the real prize.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:14 PM

meh, might as well just put in an escalator...

the bragging rights are mostly that you had the disposable income to afford the trip.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:

Isn't the saving grace of all those other peaks that they are not nearly as "easy", relatively speaking, to climb as Everest, which is apparently the Mount Whitney of the 8.000m peaks, and which is therefore pretty ironic given its status as the highest-flag king?

This is not to disparage true mountaineers at all, but the "tourist/ego" side of the high peaks seems far past the absurd now. I know a fellow who is one of those "peak baggers"; he is not at a real climber at all, just a very insecure person with a huge ego and tons of money and free time. Everest seems incredibly popular with that crowd. He can barely hit three tennis balls in a row, is a terrible skier and athlete in general, is also socially very awkward, but is now lining up some mini-submarine trip to the Marianas Trench just so that at parties he can tell people that he has "been to the tallest and deepest places on Earth...". More yawns will ensue than already do.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:59 PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...-traffic-jams/
Old 05-25-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:

It was debated years ago if k2 was actually "higher" I'd have to look it up to recall the specifics.

Climbing Everest is so weird.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:32 PM

Anybody consider the photo was actually Photoshopped?
Old 05-25-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Anybody consider the photo was actually Photoshopped?
nah, just google 'tourists on Everest' and you can find many similar pics.

and if you want to be even more depressed, google 'trash on Everest'....sickening to see how much garbage is there.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:10 PM

Conga Line Starts to the Right

Should put this guy at the top:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by mt2u77; 05-25-2019 at 08:17 PM.