Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adampaiva View Post
I can't decide which bike to ride.
A) Rick Jones
+Been riding this one A LOT this year. It fits better than any other bike and I'm really comfortable on this bike on long days
+35 mm Compass slicks roll fast. Decent on rough stuff.
+46/30 sub-compact so good climbing gearing
-35 mm Compass slicks only decent on rough stuff
-Canti brakes stop but arent the greatest stoppers in the world

B) Lyon L'Avecaise 650b monster rando
+48mm 650b Compass knobbies roll decent on pavement, more volume and grip for the rough stuff and especially the descents
+Mafac Raid brakes work pretty well
-Fits me but haven't been riding this bike as much because I've always grabbed the RJ
-50/34 cranks give me decent climbing gearing but not as low as the 46/30
-48mm knobbies dont roll as fast on pavement
Which route are you doing? If it's not the Mystery ride, I'd suggest bike A.

Slick tires shouldn't be an issue, and you'll like having the lower gearing. Despite being mostly dirt roads, most of D2R2 isn't really that "rough", it's unpaved, but usually reasonably smooth. NB, the rough comment doesn't necessarily apply to the Mystery ride.

Chris
Old 08-15-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adampaiva View Post
I can't decide which bike to ride.
I would use the one you've been riding. It's got all the good stuff you need and you're comfy on it.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:17 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp43 View Post
Which route are you doing? If it's not the Mystery ride, I'd suggest bike A.

Slick tires shouldn't be an issue, and you'll like having the lower gearing. Despite being mostly dirt roads, most of D2R2 isn't really that "rough", it's unpaved, but usually reasonably smooth. NB, the rough comment doesn't necessarily apply to the Mystery ride.

Chris
what do you know about the mystery... do tell...
Old 08-15-2019, 05:17 PM

I'm planning on the 160.
I've been leaning towards the Rick Jones as well so this confirms.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:48 AM
ergottWheels

If you see me out there happy to chat!

Old 08-16-2019, 05:55 AM
ZhugeLiang

Gonna miss riding with my forum pals...have a great D2R2 this year!

Old 08-16-2019, 07:13 AM
Shifty Member

I'll be doing the 100 on my Warbird with a Wheelworks kit on. Say hi if you see me.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2019, 08:38 AM

Wishing all you D2R2 riders loads of fun! It looks like a great event and a bucket list item!
Old 08-16-2019, 08:45 AM

Disco

We are going to be in the camping area north of the tent. Look for the disco party lights. Most of us are doing the 100k Mystery, but others will be doing the Green River Ride, the 180k and the regular 100k.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:00 AM

Couldn't make it happen this year... Hoping all of you folks have a great ride and enjoy the day!

Sent from my LGL423DL using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2019, 08:08 PM

We were lucky with the weather. Early in the day as we climbed out of the valley we were in the clouds, and even my mirror fogged. Couldn't keep my glasses clear. Then it gradually got less threatening, no rain on the 100K. The peaches at Apex Orchards were as delicious as I remembered. My Ridewithgps file shows 8,222 ft of elevation- can that be right? and peak speed just under 50 mph. Some of the dirt road downhills were challenging, hard to make out the road condition details at speed! Was happy to have hydro disc brakes after the last time with Tektro 559 calipers on my old Bob Jackson.

One fellow rode a fixed gear, I am gobsmacked. Another was on an older Guercotti, and I saw a late 60s Raleigh Pro, so not everyone had chubby tires.

Peter Weigle was riding a new bike, as lovely as you might imagine. I briefly met Ergott on a climb, he built the wheels I was riding.

Great event, as ever. Didn't meet any other Paceliners, but they may have avoided me as my bike has a Shimano drivetrain
Old 08-17-2019, 11:26 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Couldn't make it happen this year... Hoping all of you folks have a great ride and enjoy the day!

Sent from my LGL423DL using Tapatalk
I looked for you and Angry and figured you did not make it. I dont think angry dis either.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:31 PM
aka RAEKWON

We were going to go mystery but havent done the 100k in so long it was kind of a mystery.

The 100k is such a fantastic ride. There is no easy d2r2 ride but NH is right, we lucked out with the weather. Was a bit humid at first but cool and when it got hot we were almost done. Beautiful roads and were perfect on 35mm slicks. Still one of the best rides in the planet imo.

I got 68 miles and 7400ft. Also saw peter weigle, flying up one of the hills.

Will be back next year
Old 08-18-2019, 07:34 AM

I had almost the same low gear I had when I did the 115 (22 inches) and it got a lot of use but I didn't feel that I needed lower. I think the 115 has some steeper grades (?)
I was surprised by the amount of folks that went bombing by me on Hawk's Rd. I recall them trying to get an ambulance in there a few years ago to get a badly hurt rider, so I was taking it easy!

Next time I'm wearing shades with magnifiers built in, I didn't print the cue sheet large enough One fun aspect for me is navigating by cue sheet rather than GPS - that kind of goes with riding a bike without any carbon...retrogrouchiness!

The industry has definitely sold a lot of gravel bikes!

Last edited by NHAero; 08-18-2019 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:39 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I had almost the same low gear I had when I did the 115 (22 inches) and it got a lot of use but I didn't feel that I needed lower. I think the 115 has some steeper grades (?)
I was surprised by the amount of folks that went bombing by me on Hawk's Rd. I recall then trying to get an ambulance in there a few years ago to get a badly hurt rider, so I was taking it easy!

Next time I'm wearing shades with magnifiers built in, I didn't print the cue sheet large enough One fun aspect for me is navigating by cue sheet rather than GPS - that kind of goes with riding a bike without any carbon...retrogrouchiness!

The industry has definitely sold a lot of gravel bikes!
The 115k definitely has some steeper stuff. It also has most of the climbing after lunch which sucks. I just think the 100k is a better ride. You have to go to the orchard, thats the best and 115k does not have that.

I chilled on hawks too. I saw the downed rider at lunch, she was a bit bloody and was taken in an ambulance. Hope she is ok. Hawks is a fun descent and even though I went decently slow I still beat my PR from 5 years ago.