Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 08-14-2019, 09:40 AM
pritchet74 pritchet74 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: NorCal
Posts: 837
I have a pair of these tubes - one has a pair of holes and both patched fine, but I went back to latex.

I will get one for a MTB spare tube since it's so compact though, but wouldn't use for daily use.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-14-2019, 09:58 AM
Mark McM Mark McM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicli View Post
I don’t understand how a thinner tube adds puncture resistance. I have taken note of the thickness of tire and it is thicker than a tube. Seems anything that goes through a tire will go through a thin tube. Maybe not a big thick slime type tube but a thin one, yes. You all do put a tire on one side of a tube and a rim on the other right?
Puncture resistance is about more than just tire/tube thickness. For instance, latex tube are more puncture resistant than butyl tubes, because they are more elastic - if an object were to punch through a tire casing and read the tube, a latex tube may simply be stretched around the object, when a less stretchy butyl tube is more likely to be punctured. Latex tubes are also more pinch-flat resistant than butyl tubes for the same reason.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-14-2019, 10:26 AM
weaponsgrade weaponsgrade is online now
Vendor
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post
I have a pair of these tubes - one has a pair of holes and both patched fine, but I went back to latex.

I will get one for a MTB spare tube since it's so compact though, but wouldn't use for daily use.
What did you use for a patch?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-14-2019, 11:56 AM
pritchet74 pritchet74 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: NorCal
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
What did you use for a patch?
The red oval patches. I had to go and check though since it took them off my bike last year - only to find that the tube in question with the 2 patches has a note attached where I wrote "mystery leak" - which is probably why I stopped using them. I will get it pumped up and into a bowl of water to try and sort it out and get back to everyone.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-14-2019, 12:53 PM
Moyboy Moyboy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 38
Don't use warm / hot water... they deform.... happened to my friend....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post
The red oval patches. I had to go and check though since it took them off my bike last year - only to find that the tube in question with the 2 patches has a note attached where I wrote "mystery leak" - which is probably why I stopped using them. I will get it pumped up and into a bowl of water to try and sort it out and get back to everyone.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-14-2019, 01:19 PM
Marc40a Marc40a is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
I use them to pack on long rides as spares due to the freaking amazing size. I run tubeless so it’s a last effort item.
Same here. For bikepacking and endurance rides.

The bigger the tires, the more incentive to pack them. A conventional 3" tire tube is ridiculously big and heavy.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-14-2019, 03:02 PM
hobbanero hobbanero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 148
I have seen a review about a year ago that complained of a lump where the tube is joined. Basically, the material expands easily, but where the tube is joined there is an overlap that makes that area twice as thick, and less willing to expand, creating a low spot in the tire. I have not been able to confirm this with any users, so curious as to whether this was a one-off or perhaps just early product issues.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-15-2019, 12:22 PM
Oxford_Guy Oxford_Guy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbanero View Post
I have seen a review about a year ago that complained of a lump where the tube is joined. Basically, the material expands easily, but where the tube is joined there is an overlap that makes that area twice as thick, and less willing to expand, creating a low spot in the tire. I have not been able to confirm this with any users, so curious as to whether this was a one-off or perhaps just early product issues.
Not sure that should be an issue, aren't all latex tubes like that, with an overlap?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-15-2019, 12:56 PM
Mark McM Mark McM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxford_Guy View Post
Not sure that should be an issue, aren't all latex tubes like that, with an overlap?
Some latex inner tubes have been made with seams, but the latest Vittoria and Michelin inner tubes don't have seams.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-15-2019, 01:40 PM
mdeth1313 mdeth1313 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 132
I can't find the forum (or the topic) I read about these but it seemed many people were incredibly unhappy with the tubolito tubes. They said over time they failed without being punctured. If I can find it I'll post a link.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM
huckjai huckjai is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Vancouver, BC. Canada
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeth1313 View Post
I can't find the forum (or the topic) I read about these but it seemed many people were incredibly unhappy with the tubolito tubes. They said over time they failed without being punctured. If I can find it I'll post a link.
There's quite a few YouTube videos on this. They seemed to be failing where the valve stem connects to the tube.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.