Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2019, 09:40 AM
PegoNagos

I have a pair of these tubes - one has a pair of holes and both patched fine, but I went back to latex.

I will get one for a MTB spare tube since it's so compact though, but wouldn't use for daily use.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicli View Post
I don’t understand how a thinner tube adds puncture resistance. I have taken note of the thickness of tire and it is thicker than a tube. Seems anything that goes through a tire will go through a thin tube. Maybe not a big thick slime type tube but a thin one, yes. You all do put a tire on one side of a tube and a rim on the other right?
Puncture resistance is about more than just tire/tube thickness. For instance, latex tube are more puncture resistant than butyl tubes, because they are more elastic - if an object were to punch through a tire casing and read the tube, a latex tube may simply be stretched around the object, when a less stretchy butyl tube is more likely to be punctured. Latex tubes are also more pinch-flat resistant than butyl tubes for the same reason.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:26 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post
I have a pair of these tubes - one has a pair of holes and both patched fine, but I went back to latex.

I will get one for a MTB spare tube since it's so compact though, but wouldn't use for daily use.
What did you use for a patch?
Old 08-14-2019, 11:56 AM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
What did you use for a patch?
The red oval patches. I had to go and check though since it took them off my bike last year - only to find that the tube in question with the 2 patches has a note attached where I wrote "mystery leak" - which is probably why I stopped using them. I will get it pumped up and into a bowl of water to try and sort it out and get back to everyone.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:53 PM

Don't use warm / hot water... they deform.... happened to my friend....

Quote:
The red oval patches. I had to go and check though since it took them off my bike last year - only to find that the tube in question with the 2 patches has a note attached where I wrote "mystery leak" - which is probably why I stopped using them. I will get it pumped up and into a bowl of water to try and sort it out and get back to everyone.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
I use them to pack on long rides as spares due to the freaking amazing size. I run tubeless so it’s a last effort item.
Same here. For bikepacking and endurance rides.

The bigger the tires, the more incentive to pack them. A conventional 3" tire tube is ridiculously big and heavy.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:02 PM

I have seen a review about a year ago that complained of a lump where the tube is joined. Basically, the material expands easily, but where the tube is joined there is an overlap that makes that area twice as thick, and less willing to expand, creating a low spot in the tire. I have not been able to confirm this with any users, so curious as to whether this was a one-off or perhaps just early product issues.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbanero View Post
I have seen a review about a year ago that complained of a lump where the tube is joined. Basically, the material expands easily, but where the tube is joined there is an overlap that makes that area twice as thick, and less willing to expand, creating a low spot in the tire. I have not been able to confirm this with any users, so curious as to whether this was a one-off or perhaps just early product issues.
Not sure that should be an issue, aren't all latex tubes like that, with an overlap?
Old 08-15-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxford_Guy View Post
Not sure that should be an issue, aren't all latex tubes like that, with an overlap?
Some latex inner tubes have been made with seams, but the latest Vittoria and Michelin inner tubes don't have seams.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:40 PM

I can't find the forum (or the topic) I read about these but it seemed many people were incredibly unhappy with the tubolito tubes. They said over time they failed without being punctured. If I can find it I'll post a link.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeth1313 View Post
I can't find the forum (or the topic) I read about these but it seemed many people were incredibly unhappy with the tubolito tubes. They said over time they failed without being punctured. If I can find it I'll post a link.
There's quite a few YouTube videos on this. They seemed to be failing where the valve stem connects to the tube.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:50 AM
PegoNagos

Some rolling resistance data on the tubolito tubes...

https://www.aero-coach.co.uk/inner-t...ing-resistance
Old 08-18-2019, 10:54 AM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Got the tube in question into a bowl of water - one of the patches was leaking....
Old 08-18-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Some rolling resistance data on the tubolito tubes...

https://www.aero-coach.co.uk/inner-t...ing-resistance
1.1 second per mile over 10 miles of savings!
Old 08-18-2019, 03:03 PM

Psa

It’s kinda a hijack of the thread but EBay has these for what appears to be a good price

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F202746054902