Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-16-2024, 06:07 AM

Garmin Varia mount options

Since I have come to rely on the supreme functionality of the Varia (“don’t leave home without it!”), I shuttle the unit back and forth across my multiple bikes.

That said, there is something really jarring about the standard (or rubber-banded) mount for the Varia on a lovely silver seatpost on a lovingly restored retro steel racer.

First world problem, I know, but anyone have any suggestions for more aesthetically pleasing (or low profile) Varia mounts?

Thanks
MB
Old 07-16-2024, 06:37 AM

Don't trust the rubber band (o-ring) mounts. I lost one varia and would have lost a second save for I had it tethered. Expensive lesson learned.
Old 07-16-2024, 06:45 AM

If you don't use a saddle pack that interferes, there are versions that clamp on to the seat rails and the mount hangs down a bit.
Old 07-16-2024, 06:53 AM

I used the rubber bands to mount the base to the back of my saddlebag which has a loop sewn in. I keep meaning to make a more permanent mount but this works so well I forgot. I move the saddle bag between bikes when riding so the Varia goes to whatever bike I’m riding that day.
Old 07-16-2024, 07:10 AM

There is a clamp on mount that goes onto the seatpost,
Old 07-16-2024, 07:12 AM

I have your same situation and have installeded different mount on a few bikes.

Road bike has a saddle rail mounted version.
Gravel bike has a round seatpost clamp.

You can find many on Amazon or eBay.
I use these ones,

Thinvik Varia Seatpost Mount for... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B7JZRY2T...p_mob_ap_share

Cestbon Radar Bike Mount for... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B92B9M8M...p_mob_ap_share
Old 07-16-2024, 07:15 AM

I really like these 3D printed ones. Super minimal and strong. I have them on all my bikes.

https://concentriccycling.com/pages/seat-post-mounts
Old 07-16-2024, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derosid View Post
I used the rubber bands to mount the base to the back of my saddlebag which has a loop sewn in. I keep meaning to make a more permanent mount but this works so well I forgot. I move the saddle bag between bikes when riding so the Varia goes to whatever bike I’m riding that day.
Yep, running mine like this all the time without a problem. I have two main bags (clincher/tubular) that I move to whatever bike I'm on for that day.

I've never lost one like this, had the rubber band fail, or had any other issues.

Clincher setup:

Tubular setup:

Even when mounted in a "compromised" position with an extreme downward angle it seems to work just fine and with no dimished detection range.

Old 07-16-2024, 07:40 AM

There are some inexpensive seatpost mounts on Amazon. Depending on your position, bike's geometery etc some of those might hit the legs, or on one of my bikes if I lower it enough then the varia is a tad low in relation to the tire.

Bup Labs has some good solutions, it's easier on some saddles like the Fizik ones that have the ICS, though I don't know how many saddles they make that still have that. Specialized also has saddles with two threaded holes that allow a varia mount there. Some of these saddle mounts leave enough room for a small saddle bag as well.
Old 07-16-2024, 07:52 AM

Also look at Etsy, they have some very nice 3D printed ones there.
Also look up KOM cycling, the have a saddle bag with a Varia mount.
Old 07-16-2024, 08:04 AM

Saddle rail mount user here. I have one on each bike. Just the cheap ones off of Amazon. I use a bit of electrical tape on the carbon rails to protect them.
Old 07-16-2024, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Yep, running mine like this all the time without a problem. I have two main bags (clincher/tubular) that I move to whatever bike I'm on for that day.

I've never lost one like this, had the rubber band fail, or had any other issues.

Clincher setup:

Tubular setup:

Even when mounted in a "compromised" position with an extreme downward angle it seems to work just fine and with no dimished detection range.

Dunno the light is essentially facing the ground isn't very useful. Sure the radar might work but I want the light to actually be seen.
Old 07-16-2024, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass_biker View Post
Since I have come to rely on the supreme functionality of the Varia (“don’t leave home without it!”), I shuttle the unit back and forth across my multiple bikes.

That said, there is something really jarring about the standard (or rubber-banded) mount for the Varia on a lovely silver seatpost on a lovingly restored retro steel racer.

First world problem, I know, but anyone have any suggestions for more aesthetically pleasing (or low profile) Varia mounts?

Thanks
MB
I use Garmin’s seat-post mounts and have one on each of my bikes. I mount the Varia upside down on my road bike. I don’t need more clearance over my rear wheel because I ride a tall bike, but I figure the small amount of added height (radar is on bottom of unit) may be slight advantage and give me perhaps a little more range.
Old 07-16-2024, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
Dunno the light is essentially facing the ground isn't very useful. Sure the radar might work but I want the light to actually be seen.
Yep, I get that on the Y-Foil. I just haven't figured out a better solution. And in my case I use a rear view mirror so the varia let's me know a car is coming and I'm always watching them with my mirror. I don't ride at night so to me not a big deal.

One ride I did put a piece of soft triangular rubber between the pouch and the bottle to "'wedge" the Varia into a better angle. The rubber surprisingly stayed the whole ride but I haven't bothered since.
Old 07-16-2024, 09:51 AM

I picked up a handful of these for all my bikes a few years ago. The two bolts on either side make it sturdy, and the one bolt in the middle adjusts its vertical position. It is cheap and it works.
I would have to check my records for the actual seller, but the product is exactly like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/195407223680

I suppose I could put a small saddle roll in front of it...I have never tried. I usually carry things in my handlebar bag (road), frame bag (gravel), hip or backpack (mountain) though.