Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2017, 11:41 AM
Small ring

REI Garage Sale online

I hadn't seen this before, but I used to love the Garage Sales at the PHX REI, though it seems to be on a steady down slide in the past 3-4 years. This may be a better option:

https://www.rei.com/used/

Any REI employees know more?
Old 11-17-2017, 12:42 PM

Very cool. This has legs.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:43 PM

Used water bottles - umm - hell no
Old 11-17-2017, 12:54 PM
Administrator

it's an interesting concept - but they are going to need to post photos of the actual item, not just a stock photo of the new item.

i've been to some REI garage sales, and some of the returned stuff is not just used, but damn well worn out.

some people should be ashamed of themselves with what they return.

it's hard to know what you're getting without seeing the actual condition with used gear.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:56 PM
Administrator

also - moving to general discussion, for......discussion
Old 11-17-2017, 01:00 PM
v a n i l l a

The B-93 at my local REI used ot be great, but the eBay whores would swoop in and just buy an entire lot with an eye to reselling later. After standing in line off and on over a year it just wasn't worth the time or the hassle.

This online attempt might be better. That said, it is shocking the types of things that are accepted for return. Some of those items - c'mon people. really, you used it and returned it?
Old 11-17-2017, 01:55 PM

It's a great idea and (as is so often the case), cost me money. Thanks paceliners!

Reminds me a little of what steepandcheap used to be like (better discounts, more random stuff).

Way better than the hordes at the stores on Saturday mornings.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
The B-93 at my local REI used ot be great, but the eBay whores would swoop in and just buy an entire lot with an eye to reselling later. After standing in line off and on over a year it just wasn't worth the time or the hassle.

This online attempt might be better. That said, it is shocking the types of things that are accepted for return. Some of those items - c'mon people. really, you used it and returned it?
I once saw a pair of kids boots at the REI garage sale that said on the tag "bought for son two years ago, no longer fit". It was both funny and sad.

I have also seen packs that were completely worn out and then returned. And I know people have bought car top boxes and bike racks for a trip and then returned them after the trip.

So yes, people really abused the REI return policy. Costco had the same issue with electronics. Both companies have since tightened up their policy to make it tougher to abuse like that, but people still do it.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:50 PM
Small ring

The nice thing about this is, the items are returnable. The condition is also listed, so YMMV.

I have gotten some real deals at Garage Sales @ REI, mostly at the Paradise Valley store in PHX. A lot of unscrupulous people seem to buy high end stuff for their AZ vacation and return it barely used.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
A lot of unscrupulous people seem to buy high end stuff for their AZ vacation and return it barely used.
We have been to the same sales and seen the same stuff
Old 11-17-2017, 05:09 PM

This is awesome (because they allow returns if the product doesn't meet your needs) but if this replaces their in-person gear sales, I'm going to really miss the reading the tortured "reason for return" justifications on the price tags.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:12 PM

Was looking at the Pike RCT3 Suspension Fork - 150mm Travel - 27.5" But no info on Steerer tube length. Also, not being able to see the actual fork no way in telling if the Stanchions tubes are scratched/damaged.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:42 AM

Thanks for the tip. Looks interesting. I've purchased stuff at their garage sales before. If nothing else, I need a new (to me) book bag. Looks like they have plenty to choose from.