Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Lowry's 31. DeRozan is 28.

Window ain't gonna be open forever. And the playoffs last two years have shown IsoBall won't work with those two in the playoffs.
there never was a window. the raptors as constructed never had a chance in the playoffs - they're less than they were last year so that's even more true

what they have is a sustained run of success and a country of rabid sports fans all to themselves. they'll have a winning record for a few more years as lowry and ibaca fade, and derozan derozans. i think masai is betting on good drafting, development and his own ability to swing favourable trades to build a young core of talent that keeps it going when those guys show real decline, keep buts in the seats and gives him time and room to operate in search of the next opportunity

being good without mortgaging the future is tough in pro sports. masai took his shot last year and confirmed the limits of the current group. the raps are well set up to manage the transition, which i imagine ownership prefers to weathering the bust that often proceeds booms
Old 10-27-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomforeal View Post
there never was a window. the raptors as constructed never had a chance in the playoffs - they're less than they were last year so that's even more true

what they have is a sustained run of success and a country of rabid sports fans all to themselves. they'll have a winning record for a few more years as lowry and ibaca fade, and derozan derozans. i think masai is betting on good drafting, development and his own ability to swing favourable trades to build a young core of talent that keeps it going when those guys show real decline, keep buts in the seats and gives him time and room to operate in search of the next opportunity

being good without mortgaging the future is tough in pro sports. masai took his shot last year and confirmed the limits of the current group. the raps are well set up to manage the transition, which i imagine ownership prefers to weathering the bust that often proceeds booms
Well said. The Raps aren't title contenders or even ECF contenders in any meaningful sense. To be honest, there's only two teams that matter if you're reducing the NBA to its championship. But that doesn't really matter if you're a Raps/basketball fan and enjoy the moments you spend consuming basketball.

Clippers and Blake Griffin are looking feisty, no? CP3 is great, one of the best of his generation but it's well-established that he isn't the most easygoing guy. Might be some value in giving a player of Blake's skillset the ball and the freedom to make plays for others.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:46 AM

^^that Raps take is good.

They have Norm, Delon Wright, Poetl, and OG looks like he has a little in him too.
They're good enough.

Anyone been watching the Magic? I'm intrigued to see Gordon putting it together.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:45 AM
Vendor

Oddly, with the exception of the Mavs, the entire season has been pretty good to watch. Yeah, I know it's only 5 games in. But it seems like the teams/players are really fighting hard for the W. I think this season will be harder for the Warriors and even the Cavs.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomforeal View Post

Surely the mandate from ownership is to continue contention at some level, but the only best chance to success in the NBA is a high pick, sadly. Yes, the Kawhi Leonards and Draymond Greens of the world fall in teams laps late in the draft once in a blue moon, but what Hinkie's Process laid bare for all to see in Philly is being really, really bad is the only way to find that elite talent for so many teams in the league. Why the Raptors ran it all back after last year's playoff performance baffles me. They didn't even really make moves to change the mix. At least hire a different coach. It isn't as if Casey is suddenly going to become an offensive wizard.

And I say this as one of the five die hard Hawks fans whose very existence for the last decade has been "decent" but speedbump for the truly elite teams.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Surely the mandate from ownership is to continue contention at some level, but the only best chance to success in the NBA is a high pick, sadly. Yes, the Kawhi Leonards and Draymond Greens of the world fall in teams laps late in the draft once in a blue moon, but what Hinkie's Process laid bare for all to see in Philly is being really, really bad is the only way to find that elite talent for so many teams in the league. Why the Raptors ran it all back after last year's playoff performance baffles me. They didn't even really make moves to change the mix. At least hire a different coach. It isn't as if Casey is suddenly going to become an offensive wizard.

And I say this as one of the five die hard Hawks fans whose very existence for the last decade has been "decent" but speedbump for the truly elite teams.

If "success" is a championship, then 29 teams are failures every year. If "success" is making money because your fans are entertained and committed then the Raps are doing alright. Room for other definitions between those two, but I'm not on board with the idea that a ring is the only reason to be an NBA fan.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
If "success" is a championship, then 29 teams are failures every year. If "success" is making money because your fans are entertained and committed then the Raps are doing alright. Room for other definitions between those two, but I'm not on board with the idea that a ring is the only reason to be an NBA fan.
To be a fan? No. The journey is more important than the destination, especially in the league with the least parity among the Big 4.

For a team? Yeah. Should be trying to build towards that goal. Doesn't mean there aren't interim steps along the way that count as success. But treading water and running the same crew out there just to cash checks and win a playoff round and get crushed once April rolls around and LeBron wakes up? Meh.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:03 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Quote:
To be a fan? No. The journey is more important than the destination, especially in the league with the least parity among the Big 4.

For a team? Yeah. Should be trying to build towards that goal. Doesn't mean there aren't interim steps along the way that count as success. But treading water and running the same crew out there just to cash checks and win a playoff round and get crushed once April rolls around and LeBron wakes up? Meh.
See, that's why i think Golden State is great. The team loves what they're doing. They are exciting to watch. I would totally spend money on their gear. If i could I'd be at the games. They are clearly making a butt load of money and the fans love it/them. And of course they've won 2 out of 3 years.

I think the Warriors have a winning combo of everything right now. Yeah, there will be times in the future when people abandon them. It happens. But it'll be years away and they are keeping the players happy. I don't think they are leaving anytime soon. So the chance of people jumping ship is slim for at least many many years.

I stopped watching basketball when Jordan stopped playing. It was boring. I only watch cause of the Dubs. They make it fun to watch and you get excited, get into seeing them play.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post

I think the Warriors have a winning combo of everything right now. Yeah, there will be times in the future when people abandon them. It happens. But it'll be years away and they are keeping the players happy. I don't think they are leaving anytime soon. So the chance of people jumping ship is slim for at least many many years.
More they're abandoning their core fanbase with the move to San Francisco. Oakland supported the team for four decades of mediocrity to outright awfulness.

Shame to see that homecourt advantage go away in search of tech bro revenue.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:

Is there any reason to think the changes to the draft to discourage tanking will in fact discourage tanking?
Old 10-27-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelicoln View Post
Is there any reason to think the changes to the draft to discourage tanking will in fact discourage tanking?
Not really. The more equal chance to a cluster of the worst teams rather than the worst team just means that race ot the bottom becomes a race to not be the first team out of that odds window.

The Wheel really is the system that'll make the most sense to completely avoid tanking, but that'll never fly in the Association.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:41 PM
Vendor

Quote:
More they're abandoning their core fanbase with the move to San Francisco. Oakland supported the team for four decades of mediocrity to outright awfulness.

Shame to see that homecourt advantage go away in search of tech bro revenue.
I agree. It's sucks they are moving. But I get the idea. The O is kind of out there. And moving it in town is better for mass transit options. But the parking will be a freaking nightmare. But they want to make it a stay all day thing VS a destination thing. I get that. Does suck tho.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
I agree. It's sucks they are moving. But I get the idea. The O is kind of out there. And moving it in town is better for mass transit options. But the parking will be a freaking nightmare. But they want to make it a stay all day thing VS a destination thing. I get that. Does suck tho.
The O has access to BART. The new arena does not. The O is right off a major freeway. The new arena is in a neighborhood already stuffed to the brim. Can't wait to see what that area looks like when Warriors/Giants games overlap on the same night.

The mass transit options are better at the current facility. But Lacob is dead set on being in the city. Apparently the East Bay is too parochial for him.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:07 PM
Vendor

Quote:
The O has access to BART. The new arena does not. The O is right off a major freeway. The new arena is in a neighborhood already stuffed to the brim. Can't wait to see what that area looks like when Warriors/Giants games overlap on the same night.

The mass transit options are better at the current facility. But Lacob is dead set on being in the city. Apparently the East Bay is too parochial for him.
I forgot about ATT park. Oh that's gonna suck huge. I thought the new one had BART access right by it? I haven't been over there in a few years but I remember the O being out there a bit.

Whatever the case, GO DUBS!!!
Old 10-27-2017, 06:46 PM

IS ANYONE WATCHING THE MAGIC!

(up 20 on the spurs currently....)