Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-01-2022, 08:00 AM

The EPA got one

Modifying diesel engines to emit smoke can be costly
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a4...clean-air-act/

Last edited by gdw; 07-01-2022 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:19 AM
Administrator

excellent.

one has to wonder how much money he made on selling these defeat devices compared to the $2M he was fined.

I can certainly understand wanting more power out of your truck, but it takes a special kind of stupid to think it's "cool" to roll coal and dump dirty black soot out of your truck.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
excellent.

one has to wonder how much money he made on selling these defeat devices compared to the $2M he was fined.

I can certainly understand wanting more power out of your truck, but it takes a special kind of stupid to think it's "cool" to roll coal and dump dirty black soot out of your truck.
Article says he brought in about $10m selling them over a few years, but glad they are cracking down.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:49 AM

Regarding another popular mod, how are lift mods legal as bumpers clearly do not align with the majority of motor vehicles.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:50 AM
50 bpm

I've been coal rolled. It's not funny.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
I've been coal rolled. It's not funny.
Seriously, the first time it happened I was just dumbstruck. I live in liberal-land. But it's happened several times since then. Really, just stupid.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:08 AM
aka RAEKWON

I am good with this as well.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:10 AM
Steel..what else??

Back in the day they used to measure our bumpers and make us cover our lights.
Now it's a free for all.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:31 AM

In NJ, you are allowed up to an additional 6 inches of tire diameter and 7-11 inches of total lift height depending on the weight of the vehicle. These laws vary by state as does the lack of inspection of motor vehicles. NJ does not inspect pickups at all.

Lots and lots of diesel trucks have these device to roll coal. I don't think coal rolling is the primary purpose of the kits, they are for increase power and fuel efficiency. The coal rolling is just a stupid gimmick for the kids.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:20 AM

My 6.7 Powerstroke F-250 has an intact emissions system. I've never been able to make it produce any visible exhaust. It's a 2020 so it uses DEF which isn't the PITA I thought it would be. The DEF tank is 7.5 gallons and the truck uses a gallon for every 1000 miles, so I refill it after oil changes.

I do see people rolling coal all the time because it's NW Arizona and there's nothing else to do. I do see it less with $6 diesel.
Old 07-01-2022, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
My 6.7 Powerstroke F-250 has an intact emissions system. I've never been able to make it produce any visible exhaust. It's a 2020 so it uses DEF which isn't the PITA I thought it would be.
And of course, if you run out of the synthetic urea, you can always supply the organic. Beer helps.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 07-01-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
Regarding another popular mod, how are lift mods legal as bumpers clearly do not align with the majority of motor vehicles.
I wondered about this for years. Our cars have to have bumpers at a certain height to protect ourselves and people in other cars by ensuring that the bumpers match up. We also have to have side beams in our car doors to protect us from impacts by legal-height bumpers. When I look at jacked up vehicles next to my Honda Civic and see the bumpers even with or higher than my head I wonder how they can be legal.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I wondered about this for years. Our cars have to have bumpers at a certain height to protect ourselves and people in other cars by ensuring that the bumpers match up. We also have to have side beams in our car doors to protect us from impacts by legal-height bumpers. When I look at jacked up vehicles next to my Honda Civic and see the bumpers even with or higher than my head I wonder how they can be legal.
To be honest I think the concept of all bumpers matching up is just not realistic. Too many different ride heights on vehicles out there.

Even when the idiot in the old Saturn coupe ran into the front of my stock F-150 he went under my truck and basically tore off the front driverside undercarriage. No chance of our bumpers meeting ever.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Because they are legal...?

Although bumper height regulations vary by state, the maximum bumper height is typically tied to vehicle size and weight.

Most car bumpers are just plastic coverings over dense honeycomb and are mostly to protect the vehicle in very low speed crashes. In a real crash, it does basically nothing for the occupants unless one has a massive steel bumper but those are rare.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
\
Most car bumpers are just plastic coverings over dense honeycomb and are mostly to protect the vehicle in very low speed crashes. In a real crash, it does basically nothing for the occupants unless one has a massive steel bumper but those are rare.
Much progress has been made over the years to improve vehicle crash structures. It makes no sense whatsoever to negate that by allowing road vehicles to have bumpers that don't come close to lining up with such crash structures.

Cycling content. I think it would be better to be hit by someone driving a mid engine Lamborghini vs a Suburban.