Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2023, 04:22 PM

I'd buy one at TPC discounted price if I had any need for it. A 60cm would fit me quite well based on the geometry numbers. It might well end up being be my favourite road bike.

It seems like it might be a tough bike bike to sell at retail price though.

I know there are a number of Serotta fans here, (and I often window shop in the classifieds). How do you feel about this bike? Would you pay a premium for Ben's design input today?
Old 11-26-2023, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
This. Similar to the Battaglin aluminum frames that were going to $99. But you know, frame material plays no role in how a bike rides. With the right wheels and cockpit, it should ride just like an Aethos.
I bought one of the Battalions as well, but while an ok bike it is nowhere near as nice as the Serotta. The Duetti is an excellent riding bike and a steal for the current price IMHO.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2023, 04:32 PM

Mine is both versatile and fun to ride. It was a great addition and will serve as one of two road bikes in my current line up. I would buy it again in a heartbeat!

Old 11-26-2023, 04:57 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
I think it looks terrible, particularly on the fork. Most have one way in one way out routing for at least the last decade. If diamondback can figure it out, pretty sure Ben can. It's a pretty low bar
Yeah, the external fork routing is less than elegant. Att he same time, it does t scream 'janky brake line routing' to me since the routing is actually quite direct.

I want a fork with internal routing, but it's worth noting that both Ritchey and Whisky have a ton of disc forks that route the cable/house externally. It's still very much a thing, despite diamondback figuring out internal a decade ago.
Old 11-26-2023, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Mine is both versatile and fun to ride. It was a great addition and will serve as one of two road bikes in my current line up. I would buy it again in a heartbeat!

Nice! The picture you posted looks like how I use my disc road bike with 30mm tires.
Old 11-26-2023, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Sounds like Serotta is just slapping their name on a generic aluminum frame and calling it a Duetti, even though a Duetti is normally made from titanium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
You could have just used Google instead of a jump to conclusions mat.
I'm not the one that wrote the copy on the Serotta website that makes it sound that way. Seriously, what does "pre-engineered" mean?

Quote:
DUETTI is a Modern Road Bicycle pre-engineered-by Ben ...
Old 11-26-2023, 06:04 PM

External on the fork is a no go for me...for like a decade

It's lazy at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Yeah, the external fork routing is less than elegant. Att he same time, it does t scream 'janky brake line routing' to me since the routing is actually quite direct.

I want a fork with internal routing, but it's worth noting that both Ritchey and Whisky have a ton of disc forks that route the cable/house externally. It's still very much a thing, despite diamondback figuring out internal a decade ago.

Last edited by peanutgallery; 11-26-2023 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-26-2023, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
External on the fork is a no go for me...for like a decade

It's lazy at this point
But this fork was designed around the same time as Enves external road fork, these have been available since 2017 or so… it’s a “previous gen” close out if we use big maker terms. Ben was also one of the last to route di2 internally back in the day too.

I have one, it’s easily the nicest aluminum bike I have seen or owned, rides REALLY well, and the external hose routing with clips (that it came with) are really convenient for a home mechanic or for travel.

The new Serottas have internal routing, and aren’t “on sale” like this one. For the rest of y’all who just want a nice bike, at a great price go grab one. It’s why I did, and it’s a perfect bike for leaving at our place in Nashville. ATMO it blows the mid level stuff you’d get nowadays out of the water for a $3000 or so complete build if you go with new parts.
Old 11-26-2023, 07:42 PM

Not digging the zip ties

Missed the boat on 2nd and 3rd homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwtsculler91 View Post
But this fork was designed around the same time as Enves external road fork, these have been available since 2017 or so… it’s a “previous gen” close out if we use big maker terms. Ben was also one of the last to route di2 internally back in the day too.

I have one, it’s easily the nicest aluminum bike I have seen or owned, rides REALLY well, and the external hose routing with clips (that it came with) are really convenient for a home mechanic or for travel.

The new Serottas have internal routing, and aren’t “on sale” like this one. For the rest of y’all who just want a nice bike, at a great price go grab one. It’s why I did, and it’s a perfect bike for leaving at our place in Nashville. ATMO it blows the mid level stuff you’d get nowadays out of the water for a $3000 or so complete build if you go with new parts.

Last edited by peanutgallery; 11-26-2023 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-26-2023, 08:45 PM

On one hand, I agree that externally routed brake hoses look like ass. On the.other hand, my Milwaukee Mettle has externally routed brake hoses and I don't even notice it while riding. I really like that bike.
Old 11-27-2023, 07:54 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwtsculler91 View Post
It seems like he over ordered these and on shifting into Ti, wants to clear them out to get some cash back.
Slow learner?
Old 11-27-2023, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Slow learner?
No-one ever accused him of being an amazing businessman, but Ben can design a hell of a bike and this is definitely a great aluminum bike. Rides way better than the Allez, CAADs, and Emonda ALRs I've owned.

If you want to be generous, you can give him credit for realizing that fancy aluminum was not his market (no matter how well he designed it) and going back to "Colorado concept" Titanium to get his premium back.
Old 11-27-2023, 10:19 AM

I get the complaints about the hoses but for a lot of bikes that's been the standard way to do it for a really long time so it wouldn't bother me much. It makes maintenance really easy which is a plus.

I think it is incongruous for a road bike though which is really kind of stuck in the smaller tire sizes by today's standards. They might as well have just stuck rim brakes on it and make it retro and lighter. It's kind of stuck in the middle, but then again it is a closeout NOS frame from 5 years ago.

I think for me the thing that is worst is just metal frame + carbon fork + disc brakes. They basically all look terrible compared to the same bike with rim brakes. Just putting rim brakes on it makes it look so much more elegant. If the whole bike is carbon and swoopy and so on they seem to be able to make it look better.
Old 11-27-2023, 12:02 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

BTW: eBay also has listing for these...

If I didn't already have Pro Helix Disc bike that only fits 30 max I might be stupid enough to but a demo one. No Alloy [no less nice alloy] in my Stable except Old Gary Paragon faithful.

But then again, if this Serotta fit 32s prob not be on clearance...
Old 11-27-2023, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post

So what's the story on those brake hoses up front? I'm thinking you have a large handlebar bag and the hoses need to bend smoothly out of the way.