Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2024, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackus View Post
my prediction earlier in the thread is that with this more budget offering, once regular ekar sells out, that would leave room for a high end ekar, potentially wireless, more carbon, etc. So at that point there would be two, budget and fancy.

This is just my prediction.
I'd expect the same, with the possibility to use the carbon Ekar WRL crankset with Ekar GT for higher end mechanical builds. Very clever mix and match.

GT is for Gran Turismo, i thought it was obvious?
Old 02-24-2024, 04:16 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorkypl View Post
I'd expect the same, with the possibility to use the carbon Ekar WRL crankset with Ekar GT for higher end mechanical builds. Very clever mix and match.

GT is for Gran Turismo, i thought it was obvious?
The Q factor on Ekar GT is wider (151mm) than the Q Factor on Ekar 'race' (145,5mm).

The idea being sensible that for GT riding you are likely carrying heavier loads, or going on 'heavier' terrain and likely would want wider tire clearance setup (Tires, frame)- and as such, GT will fit on more bikes and bikes of that profile. So, I don't know if you're going to get fully interchangeable cranks in all scenarios. But I'm sure in many cases it would work. Don't expect Campagnolo to promote it though. It does offer a q factor that is inline with the two width offerings of the other brands (Sram standard 145/wide 151) and Shimano Ultegra (146/GRX 151)

Last edited by rain dogs; 02-24-2024 at 04:25 AM.
Old 02-24-2024, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikg View Post
Any predictions on what will happen with the regular Ekar group? Curious if it will be re-designed in a couple of years based on GT refinements (i.e. 104 BCD, refined brifter ergonomics, etc.), or, will it be discontinued after the current stock sells?

The 'GT' naming is also a little odd compared to the road line-up. What does 'GT' stand for? Chorus, Record, Super Record are familiar, how will the gravel line develop? Ekar GT, Ekar, Super Ekar? It's a bit vague.

I am quite curious if the road bike world would ever embrace a 1x13 in the future. it could be GT = Gravel, Ekar gets replaced by Chorus 1x and so on..... hmmmm, maybe not.
Regular EKAR can be had for ~$1000 from Merlin. I assume GT will have a "real" price of $800. I am also going to assume that some higher end EKAR group will be unveiled at some point that will be closer to $1400. I wonder if the use of SRW in the cross season has given them some direction in a wireless gravel group.
Old 02-24-2024, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
The Q factor on Ekar GT is wider (151mm) than the Q Factor on Ekar 'race' (145,5mm).
I think it is mostly because original Ekar crank is a rebadged Chorus crank. My guess is Ekar WRL will get a dedicated crank, and I would be surprised if it had different BCD and Q than Ekar gt.
Old 02-24-2024, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
I am also going to assume that some higher end EKAR group will be unveiled at some point that will be closer to $1400.direction in a wireless gravel group.
$1400 would be a steal for Ekar WRL. My bet is on $2000.
Ekar gt seems to be so good that I don't really see a space for higher tier mechanical. The only non-premium part is the crankset, and I suppose it would be retrofitable from Ekar WRL to GT.
Old 02-24-2024, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorkypl View Post
$1400 would be a steal for Ekar WRL. My bet is on $2000.
Ekar gt seems to be so good that I don't really see a space for higher tier mechanical. The only non-premium part is the crankset, and I suppose it would be retrofitable from Ekar WRL to GT.

Who are we kidding, this is Campagnolo. Wireless EKAR will be $4000. I am hoping they keep the thumb shifter and maybe start with eps.

I am still blown away by EKAR. I have not ridden my gravel bike for over 6 weeks (trip and RSV). Got on today and the bike was perfect. Two years of EKAR and I have not really had to do anything.