Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2017, 06:58 PM

HPlusSon Hydra Tubeless Setup

Just finished building a set of Hydras which I am planning to run Tubeless with Compass Barlow Pass.
Can anybody suggest their preferred setup as far as Tubeless rim tape (brand and width), valve and sealant for these rims?
Much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2017, 07:36 PM

Stan's, Stan's, and Stan's.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:08 PM

Haven't used those particular rims. They look great (but I'm not a fan of most any rim logos - definitely not those). What hubs are you using? Formula? Bitex?

I've never had problems with two passes of any rim tape including Stan's, Pacenti, Velocity and Orange Seal.

Never had trouble from any of the tubeless valves I've used including WTB, Velocity and eThirteen. The latter comes with a valve core remover end cap which has been very, very useful.

I did a good bit of research and asking around before I tried tubeless and issues with Stan's sealant steered me to Orange Seal. I now use the Endurance formula on everything and it's good stuff.

Take your time, clean your rim with a clean cloth and alcohol, use an awl or similar to make room for your valve, etc etc.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 12-13-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Haven't used those particular rims. They look great (but I'm not a fan of most any rim logos - definitely not those). What hubs are you using? Formula? Bitex?

I've never had problems with two passes of any rim tape including Stan's, Pacenti, Velocity and Orange Seal.

Never had trouble from any of the tubeless valves I've used including WTB, Velocity and eThirteen. The latter comes with a valve core remover end cap which has been very, very useful.

I did a good bit of research and asking around before I tried tubeless and issues with Stan's sealant steered me to Orange Seal. I now use the Endurance formula on everything and it's good stuff.

Take your time, clean your rim with a clean cloth and alcohol, use an awl or similar to make room for your valve, etc etc.

Thanks a lot. Yeah they are Bitex BX106R centerlock. Good for the application I am playing to use these rims on.
The rim internal width is 20mm. Which tape width would you recommend?

Old 12-14-2017, 12:23 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreParagon View Post
Thanks a lot. Yeah they are Bitex BX106R centerlock. Good for the application I am playing to use these rims on.
The rim internal width is 20mm. Which tape width would you recommend?

See no answer but I’d recommend 3m tape like below and 21-22mm width. A lot of labeled ‘tubeless tape’ is made by 3m anyway.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F182738553047

Any of the mentioned sealant or valves, I like OrangeSeal.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
See no answer but I’d recommend 3m tape like below and 21-22mm width. A lot of labeled ‘tubeless tape’ is made by 3m anyway.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F182738553047

Any of the mentioned sealant or valves, I like OrangeSeal.

Thank you v much

Old 12-14-2017, 12:50 PM

That linked 3M tape is probably what the Pacenti/Velocity tape is. Stan's is a bit different. At least it's a little thicker. But, with two passes it all seems to work the way it should. I've never had issues with adhesive properties or slipping or anything. I'm always careful to make sure the rim is very clean before laying the tape.

And, yes, the 21mm width will work well on your rims. I've also used the same tape for i23 and i26.6 rims without issue.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:29 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
That linked 3M tape is probably what the Pacenti/Velocity tape is. Stan's is a bit different. At least it's a little thicker. But, with two passes it all seems to work the way it should. I've never had issues with adhesive properties or slipping or anything. I'm always careful to make sure the rim is very clean before laying the tape.

And, yes, the 21mm width will work well on your rims. I've also used the same tape for i23 and i26.6 rims without issue.
m

I agree, 2 layers for all tires, tubeless Or tubed. Only need one for tubeless but if ever got to put a tube in there.....yup, clean with alcohol first.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:42 PM

Stan's appears to be Tesa 4289.

I got a big roll of it after buying so many little Stan's rolls, and it seems identical in thickness, tackiness and possibly even flavor..