Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
Supers were made starting in the early 70s (1972?) and continued into the 80s. The "Colnago" on the chain stay appeared later. Early ones had a simpler clubs than on here, had more braze-ons, and semi-flat fork crowns with clubs, usually chromed. Beautiful frames. What you have looks like a Piu, very late 80s. The airbrushing didn't start til about then. But yours has some simple features that make me think it might be one of the lower priced frames (akin to the Celo) that Colnago made around then. There are so many variants and so many exceptions to each rule that you really have to get someone who's steeped in Colnago lore. Hey, it's a nice frame and you like riding it. Enjoy it.
AFAIK, the difference between the Master, Master Piu and the Super (at least initially)--Master= crimped tubing, Master Piu=same, but with the addition of chrome and hidden top tube cable, Super continued as before with that beefy brace between the rear stays. I recently had a late NOS Super (Retinato paint, so before the fades so ~1985-6) that I sold on because it was smaller than advertised--and it was almost unchanged from the early 80s, including the two top tube cable guides.

Since the OP's has the hidden TT cable and fade paint, it has to be late 80s or early 90s--and is likely a mid-range Super (not an Export or one of the other entry level models)...

Last edited by paredown; 12-14-2017 at 06:22 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSTRider View Post
How has that paint held up in the Florida salt air? I don't recall paint was a strong suit on those steel Italian frames ...
In my experience the paint on recent (1990+) Colnagos is very good...and in many cases quite beautiful! My favorite Colnago paint job (on one of my bikes), was the Art Decor on my pre-B stay C40. I've got great finishes on my Dream and Dream CX. And my new (to me) '94 Master Olympic is fabulous. The finish on my very unusual mid-90s Master CX (see below), on the other hand, is a straightforward yellow, and has seen some wear...I think it was built for a professional racer, but haven't been able to confirm. If it weren't so unusual, I would have it refinished in a more interesting Colnago finish...but I'm going to keep it original...

The Colnago Super has only been outside a couple of weeks a year since 2000, and has spent the rest of its time inside. Not sure about the level and effect of humidity in storage...I'll have to check it when I'm in Florida in February...

Here's some eye candy...

Colnago Master CX home copy.jpg

Very unusual mid '90s Colnago Master CX. Parts group is not original. Original fork was a steel unicrown rather than the carbon fork currently installed. This might be my favorite Colnago due both to its rarity and how it rides!

DSC_1151.jpg
My second Colnago, a pre B-stay C40. Wanted this bike for years, rode it for many, eventually upgraded to a C50.

DSC_1425.jpg
Family photo
Old 12-14-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post

Attachment 1697951194

Very unusual mid '90s Colnago Master CX. Parts group is not original. Original fork was a steel unicrown rather than the carbon fork currently installed. This might be my favorite Colnago due both to its rarity and how it rides!

You can see Daniele Pontoni ride that same bike (yellow Master CX) at the Munich CX Worlds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_kTtrXA4Bk
Old 12-14-2017, 08:30 AM

Attachment 1697951196
Family photo [/QUOTE]

Wow. What a fleet!
Old 12-14-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonaSovereign View Post
You can see Daniele Pontoni ride that same bike (yellow Master CX) at the Munich CX Worlds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_kTtrXA4Bk
I think Pontoni (#37) was riding a blue bike. Bramati was riding a yellow bike which looks a lot like mine, but his was lugless. I spoke with Luca a year or so ago...we confirmed that my bike was not his.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
Attachment 1697951196
Family photo

Wow. What a fleet!
Thanks...I only buy bikes that I can ride. And I have been unable to find a titanium Colnago that fits me...the top tubes on the Ti bikes seem to be longer for the same frame size. Weird.

Except for the bititan...I picked one up as part of a package with a sweet Master Pista...but resold it before I had a chance to build and ride it.

Last edited by C40_guy; 12-14-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Wow. What a fleet!
Thanks...I only bike bikes that I can ride. And I have been unable to find a titanium Colnago that fits me...the top tubes on the Ti bikes seem to be longer for the same frame size. Weird.

Except for the bititan...I picked one up as part of a package with a sweet Master Pista...but resold it before I had a chance to build and ride it.[/QUOTE]

I had a CT-1 BStay. Probably my favorite bike I've owned.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:08 AM

Beautiful C40. I have an identical bike with a non original fork, am looking for a star but might settle on a force. Agree on the ride, it is worthy of the legend.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Beautiful C40. I have an identical bike with a non original fork, am looking for a star but might settle on a force. Agree on the ride, it is worthy of the legend.
Nice ride(s)...love the license plate. PCA member?

Star and Force are pretty similar overall, either will be a good match for your C40.

Do yourself a favor and ping sales_guy on this forum. He may be able to get you the unobtanium Colnago plug that's needed for the 1" carbon steerer. No other manufacturer's plug will fit...the Colnago steerer is just a bit beefier and as a result the inside diameter is smaller.

If you find a fork, there's no guarantee that it will come with a plug...
Old 12-14-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Nice ride(s)...love the license plate. PCA member?
Riesentoter for many years, not currently. Got involved in late 80's with autocross and graduated to a 914/6 hillclimb/ax/track car on slicks. Gave it up about 10 years ago, kept the street 911. 85 Carrera Protomotive turbo.

I know about the plug, thanks for the tip. Watching a Force on ebay currently. Believe the fork on the bike is an EC90, correct rake and all and rides ok.

The othe 'nago and car.

Last edited by glepore; 12-14-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Riesentoter for many years, not currently. Got involved in late 80's with autocross and graduated to a 914/6 hillclimb/ax/track car on slicks. Gave it up about 10 years ago, kept the street 911. 85 Carrera Protomotive turbo.
Nice. I've been autocrossing since about 2000, with a few HPDEs mixed in. Haven't been too active over the past couple of years...looking to move from a nicely balanced '01 Audi A4 to a Cayman next year.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I think Pontoni (#37) was riding a blue bike. Bramati was riding a yellow bike which looks a lot like mine, but his was lugless. I spoke with Luca a year or so ago...we confirmed that my bike was not his.
You're 100% correct - Bramati, not Pontoni. (In my defence, they were basically siamese twins in that race.)
I know your bike was not his - just the colourway.

And, very cool that you connected with him! I recall he also rode a similarly painted mountain bike for a while.