Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-12-2017, 11:24 AM
Small ring

Usenet.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:28 AM

I will add regarding Amazon Prime music (which I think is different from Amazon Unlimited) is that the Prime library fluctuates, like the video service. I was ready to crank some Robin Trower "Bridge of Sighs" the other day and found it had been removed from the library.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:13 PM

I wish there was a lossless source for streaming. I like Amazon Music, but only for casual background listening, the bitrate really sucks when you listen critically, even in a mobile environment.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:27 PM

Spotify family plan is really the best that I can find. Rarely do I run into an artist that isn't on the service (although there are a few notables). I think their curated playlists have improved quite a bit and I have actually found some worthwhile bands on the "Discover Weekly" playlist.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:36 PM

I've been using Rhapsody~Napster for what seems like forever and it seems to suit my listening style- daily binges of a particular artist / genre / era

I rarely use community features like other peoples playlists matches, nor do I care what my friends are listening to.

They seem to have about 95% of stuff I look for and not a lot of licensing drops.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pff View Post
Google play music sub is $10/mo and it comes along with youtube red (no youtube ads, ever, on any of your devices). You can stream basically all the music, plus upload your own library and have it stored/streamable from the cloud.
+1

My wife and I have the family plan and it's great. Unlimited music streaming and YouTube Red. The only thing missing is you still have to pay to rent a movie on YouTube, but I like that there's the option not to pay if you aren't.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post

I take guitar lessons.. that is one area that has really shown me the weaknesses in the spotify library. My teacher has spotify, we frequently are trying to play something that Spotify does not have. Never once have I seen that song not be present in Apple Music + Amazon music.
Not my experience. In 2 years, the only artists or albums which I couldn't find on Spotify are the following (out of a few thousand searches):

Jay-Z
El-P (probably didn't clear that Talking Heads sample)
Bonnie Prince Billy (most the Drag City stuff actually)
and
the tune below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXT68oYgE3I

After owning thousands of albums and CDs I never thought I'd go strictly digital but Spotify, I love you.

Last edited by beeatnik; 12-20-2017 at 01:30 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:09 AM

I also love spotify! For me the only artist that is missing is Tool

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2017, 05:27 AM

Another amazon prime music user, mostly because it's included with a prime membership. I do like that I can download it so when I'm at work I'm not burning data. Selection is ok and enough for me. I've been tempted to try Apple or Amazon unlimited but haven't done it yet so I can't compare the included with prime service with the pay per month versions.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:25 AM

Spotify + Sonos

I have tried Apple music, Amazon unlimited and Spotify and I like Spotify the best. I have a Sonos system at home with 4 wireless speakers and it is fabulous. Spotify is the best service to use with Sonos as you can use the Spotify app with Sonons. For $10 a month it is a good deal.

For those of you who don't know about Sonos you should ck it out. Your phone/tablet becomes your receiver and you can easily integrate your cds that you have burned to a drive and streaming services. PM me with any questions on Sonos. It is a good investment.

Alan
Old 12-14-2017, 10:26 AM

- Apple Music Family subscription
- Amazon Prime
- Pandora (free)
- Tune-In (free)
- Youtube/Vevo (free music vids)

Racked Mac Minis as media servers HDMI/etherneted into home entertainment/whole house audio. For that Apple Music/iTunes provides seamless integration with media on Mini, NAS, and analog. All subscription sources available via MiniServer and keeps phone/ iPad out of the mix at home, other than using phone as a remote to control system.

Amazon echos make it easy to stream low quality sound from Prime library, Pandora, and Tune-In in a single room or linked for multi-room play. A lazy way to hear background "noise" - just say "Alexa play ..." Can you hear me Big Brother

All go on road with phone apps. Similarly SlingPlayer ports everything coming in via cable to wherever I go.

Last edited by sitzmark; 12-14-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:29 AM
Administrator

thanks for the insight folks.

going to go with apple music for a while and see hos i like it. i have a lot of indoor training on tap for this winter, so something to keep me sane will be appreciated.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
my mp3 player just died, and i need a new one. thinking of a new iPod touch.
will be used primarily for gym workouts. need to be able to listen to music "offline" and my current mp3 collection is getting a little stale.
iPod Touch for workouts? Get an iPod Shuffle (eBay — New for ~$90, was $50 before Apple discontinued it )
I only listen to my own mp3's offline, and online Pandora and Slacker, but if I wanted to download a service, I'd look into Apple and Amazon Music (haven't done it, so no idea if it can be d/l'd to a shuffle)
Old 12-14-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
Bonnie Prince Billy (most the Drag City stuff actually)
It seems to be on Apple. I'll ask him why no Spotify next time I see him at Walgreen's in those cute little Umbro shorts.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:32 AM
aka RAEKWON

XM radio on the car and Spotify on the phone / computer.

As much as I want to drop XM radio, I really like it so I will be keeping it. Spotify to me its the best online service and we pay $15 for a family plan.